IE7 Public Beta 2

Associate
Thanks for the help guys but it wont uninstall from add/remove.

Its saying something about logging on to the user account it was installed on but I only have one user account?

I have tried to log on as admin but it says the same?

Associate
ducati996 said:
Please Help!

IE7 Beta has just mucked up my system.

I am now unable to add or remove it & it wont let system restore run.

Also Outlook Distress wont let me open mail beacuse it is now low on memory?

It is displaying this message:-

"The procedure entry point InternetGetSecurityByView could not be located in the dynamic link library WININET.dll."

Any advice to help me either remove it or get sytem restore running would really be appreciated.

ducati996

Got it sorted now with some help from one of the newsgroups. Just for info if anyone else gets in the same pickle!

I have logged in as the user who installed IE7 B1 and the uninstall tells me
>to 'login as the user who installed'. I am. I did try using my backup
>Administrator account but had same message. Is there any command line
>toggles which would allow me to force the uninstall? I'm ready to try Beta
>2 but I'm blocked.

You need to make a regedit to get it to uninstall

Open the registry and go to the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Right click on Internet Explorer and select New\String Value
Name the new String InstalledByUser
Give it a value of your user account name

Close regedit

Now run the uninstaller and it will work just fine

Soldato
i've downloaded it, its ok. just one annoying thing is it keeps saying that im offline?

edit : found another problem after i install IE7 i can't watch any videos on the web, even when i try to watch them with firefox

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a die hard Firefox fan, but I have to admit, I like IE7....a lot

To the extent that it's my browser of choice atm. MS have taken Firefox and fixed all the things that niggled me about Firefox to make a nice IE/FF hybrid.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a slight issue with uninstalling IE7. It differs from the rest because I'm running x64. I used the hack to get it running by creating the .local file BUT i cannot now get IE6 to display any page at all. It just automatically loads into firefox and leaves an empty ie6 window with nothing in it. As it wasn't installed, i cannot uninstall it normally. Anyone else managed to get rid of it?

Soldato
Hope it's on a test machine of some description, because you'll probably have to rebuild. Read nothing but trouble from those stupid enough to force it into x64.

Soldato
Its only my home PC so its not a problem to reinstall and I won't lose anything, was just wondering whether there was a way that anybody knew. I might just hang fire until they release a possible x64 compatible edition. Doesn't matter to me at all :)

Man of Honour
Anyone had problems with Flash in IE7? I can't get any Macromedia appelet/window/thingumyjigs to work, I just get a little red X where the flash window should be.

Man of Honour
Well I solved that issue, turned out that a bunch of activex controls were disabled for some reason.

My new problem is that I can't get the -nohome commandline parameter to work, IE7 doesn't load with it added to the shortcut... :(

Soldato
I haven't installed the beta, and my opinion is going to be worth slightly less as such, but I've already formed an opinion from seeing the screenshots and reading other people's comments. First of all, what a huge step backwards in GUI design. I know this is only a beta, but I do wonder sometimes if Microsoft have a GUI team at all? The buttons are confusing, laid out seemingly randomly and look awful.

Tabs are a useful addition, but I'm personally not pleased to see them there. Being a Firefox advocate, I've managed to prise a number of people into using the browser, and almost all of them identified tabbed browsing as the best advantage over Internet Explorer. If Microsoft systematically take all these features (RSS integration, tabbed browsing, integrated search etc.), all web developers are going to be left with is "Firefox renders websites closer to the standards outlined by the W3C." Do the general public care about that? I very much doubt it!

Overall, I'm not impressed :(

Each to thier own I suppose, I love it, I have to say to conclusively form an objective opinion on IE7 you should really try it out youself, page updates are super fast, I also like the simplicity of the new layout and best of all I love the option to view your multible tabs as thumbnails, genious (althouth i'm not sure if IE7 was the first to do this).

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
best of all I love the option to view your multible tabs as thumbnails, genious (althouth i'm not sure if IE7 was the first to do this).
Apple's Exposé has been around for quite some time in OS X and has some very nice effects. There are quite a few Firefox extensions which do the same, although I'm not sure whether these are a recent thing following this IE7 beta.

I guess I might install the beta and see how fast these page updates are everyone is raving about, but I'm a cynic so far ;)

Caporegime
IE7 has serious issues on my system, so much so im going to have to uninstall it. It takes ages to load up and only shows the page not any of the buttons (back etc) and folders at the top. It also wont close on its own (partly because there is no X but for other reasons to). Luckily its not my primary browser, back to bt yahoo browser for me, stable, tabs before firefox and various other much better things! :D

Soldato
I'll be using IE7 instead of FF in the future. FF was getting too unstable for my liking. I've been using the IE7 Beta for a while now and it's yet to crash on me no matter how many tabs i have open.

Back
Top Bottom