1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If... The Oil Runs Out [BBC]

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by clv101, 29 May 2006.

1. clv101

Capodecina

If... The Oil Runs Out

Tue 30 May, BBC2 11:20 pm - 12:20 am 60mins
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/if/4989146.stm

It's 2016 and the world is in crisis. The Oil Age is coming to an end.

Global supply can't keep up with soaring demand and the price of petrol is going through the roof. So now the oil companies are in a race, to the ends of the earth in a desperate search for Black Gold. But what happens if the oil isn't out there anymore? What then?

Blending drama and documentary, this film investigates the scenario which experts fear will come true when the cheap oil on which we depend starts to run out. Suddenly we won't be able to take anything for granted any more.

link

Shame it's not got a better slot but this programme sounds like it's going to address peak oil. Of course I think their 2016 date is optimistic but it should be interesting none the less.

2. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Thanks for the heads up. I will watch it
    We might want to keep this thread open for after discussions...the following morning judging by the time!

3. Rancidelephant

Mobster

Thanks for the notice, i will watch with interest.

/edit i am always very dubious od ducu-dramas, they produce the rediculous scenes we are now having with the da vinchi code, half the people believe its true, half of them deny all of it and then theres loads in the middle who have no idea what is fact and what is fiction with just a few knowing what is realy going on.

I know the numbers dont add up :p

Last edited: 29 May 2006
  4. teaboy5

Soldato

This should be good. Just a pitty it wasn't on about 9pm when a lot more people could of seen it. Lets hope it opens some peoples eyes and what will happen soon.

5. clv101

Capodecina

A source close to the program writes:

“It's not an ideal slot, but the channel wanted to broadcast during a short season of environmental programmes and unfortunately that was the only slot available that week. There will be a web page on BBC Online which will invite viewers to email in with their comments after the film - so hopefully that will spark off some lively debate!”

6. Saberu

Mobster

The question is how many people are going to be watching television at 11:20pm? The only people that watch it that late are people who watch Newsnight (or Eurotrash :p).

My opinion is that governments and oil companies alike are simply suppressing new technologies so we don't really need to worry unless you want to worry about oil being used simply to make profit despite alternatives.
    I didn't used to think this, I used to think we were all doomed.

But recently reading up on various things I decided this, but the evidence I have is so circumstantial it's not worth talking about. Also people will immediately assume I am a conspiracy theorist.

7. fini

Sgarrista

I do like the 'if' series - more and more documentaries are quite biased - at least with something like this it's plain you're supposed to take it with a pinch of salt. It also stresses the human side of things which can get lost when you talk of statistics.

fini

8. clv101

Capodecina

Like what? And why? We don't have a technology problem, we have an energy problem - the two aren't really interchangeable.

9. Saberu

Mobster

Aren't they? New technologies are invariably linked with energy. Other types of energy exist that we simply can't utilise at the moment due to a lack of understanding of how to create the energy without putting a lot more in to get it. Energies like zero-point, coldfusion etc. Also nanotechnology is allowing us to create more efficient materials and systems making it more possible to improve the technologies that are trying to source this energy.

Theres hardly any investment into researching these and I refuse to believe it's because of a lack of successful research making it too risky to invest in because I've seen some very promising research into anti-gravity.

I'd have thought someone that has done so much research into energy such as yourself would have extensively researched theoretical alternatives that are being developed.

I tried searching for an interview with Podkletnov in pdf format that I had found on the American Antigravity website but I couldn't find it.

I rehosted it on my webspace, here it is courtesy of American Antigravity (hopefully if I mention that it won't be too bad that i'm hosting it). The reason I believe everything he says is because one of his research experiments was copied by NASA but then strangely taken over by the MoD before it could be completed.

Is it not even slightly curious to you that the MoD would takeover such a project and subsequently cover up any results?

10. clv101

Capodecina

I think I probably have read most of the stuff on the Internet on the subjects you mention - certainly cold fusion and zero-point. I've come to the conclusion it's complete bunkum, certainly with absolutely no relevance over the next couple of decades.

11. Saberu

Mobster

Doesn't the bullet train use anti-gravity technology? Something to do with magnets in the rails so theres less friction. Certainly not irrelevant when it comes to transport.

12. Jokester

Don

The bullet train doesn't use maglev, it's a conventional train.

Ultimately, if we want to live anywhere near out present lifestyle we need to bite the bullet as soon as possible and produce huge amounts of wind/tide farms and nuclear in the short term and convert everything that moves to hydrogen fuel or other fuel stocks that can easily be generated from electricity.

As a minimum we're looking at electricity prices doubling, plus a massive increase (1000%?) in electricity generation for use in fuel generation for vehicles and industry in general. On top of that you've got the burden of costs from changing over fuel types.

Jokester

13. clv101

Capodecina

The bullet train doesn't use anything like anti-gravity, it's just maglev. The gravitational field is completely unaffected. Maglev and be though of as analogous to a regular electric motor, just linear rather than circular. If you're confusing maglev with anti-gravity I'm left wondering how much research you've done into these 'technologies' you seem to have faith in.

14. Mr Joshua

Mobster

I'll be recording it as it clashes with Lost!

Thinking about what would happen when oil runs out seems a bit strange, I can nearly see people returning to working the land and living in a village that's the centre of their universe. Maybe that's my imagination running away with me, part of me would like to see something like that but the part that craves technology doesn't.

There must be some sort of research going on into alternatives, I can't believe that we're just going to run out of oil and that will be that. There must be something that we don't know about surely?

Either way I don't think there's much point worrying about it.

15. zain

Mobster

Wow, back in 98 the prediction was 2060. The world has developed so much its cut it by more than 40 years!

16. Bear

Capodecina

Of course these oil companies that have multi billion dollar/pound profits will just close up shop, say bye to the share holders and turn the lights off and go home as the oil has run out.

Perhaps the other alternative is that they do and will put millions into research that will help them maintain those profits in the energy market or are they going to sell insurance instead ?? Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

17. Saberu

Mobster

Actually my mums boyfriend just told me maglev uses anti-gravity and I took his word for it. And Podkletnov's research is the only thing I have looked at, it was more the NASA replication attempt being taken over by the MoD that made me believe there was some suppression involved. Did you look at the pdf file I linked to? I'd appreciate it rather than blindly assuming it's 'bunkem'.

18. clv101

Capodecina

Yeah, I've read the pdf - it doesn't really say anything. Apart from describing a free energy machine and that the guy wants funding... hmmm haven't heard that 100 times before now have we?

19. Saberu

Mobster

Yeah your right must just be another fake, it's not like NASA tried to replicate his experiment because it had potential. I think maybe the problem is you've seen so many "free energy machines" that you just assume anything like this is going to be the same.

With that kind of attitude it's no surprise this research doesn't get the publicity or funding it needs. Theres an incredible number of new technologies on the horizon but no one believes any of it, everyone is just content taking the safe assumption that oil is the only energy source. Much like no one believes that certain vested interests in oil may cause these new technologies not to find the light of day, further fuelling peoples beleif that they were fakes.

If a country (the US) is willing to go to war with Iraq with one of the reasons being oil it's not a stretch to assume that they would also want to supress energies that might replace it. Free energy isn't profitable, infact it's the beginning of a process which could revolutionise the way capitalisation works because everything will be so much cheaper.

People talk about the dark ages of 200 years ago etc. We are in a dark ages of sorts right now, an age where power is driven by money and money is driven by power. Thats not to say that everyone who gets money or power is solely concerned about getting more money/power or retaining it, but the few that are do make a difference; i'm talking mainly about the large companies or people that invest in oil. And at the moment money/power and oil are intricately linked.

I believe oil is going to be used until the world economy goes into a recession so bad that it becomes unprofitable for these people investing in oil to continue. Therefore we are definitely going to head into a recession simply because it's the only way to get away from oil.

Last edited: 30 May 2006
  20. player

Wise Guy

When... The Oil Runs Out