If... The Oil Runs Out ON NOW!!!

Soldato
OP
Six6siX said:
Yeah, I see what you are saying, but I thought this was established in the first thread you made about the oil? Every thread is exactly the same give or take a few posts - they all end up being:

- There's going to be an oil crisis in a few years!
- Oh noes
- No there isnt
- Yes there is
- What are we going to do, we're all going to die
- Evil monkeys will take over the world (this may or may not be true)

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but thats how I see it.

I know any oil threads i post in say this. But i am trying to get a point across to people. Some believe other forms of fuel will save us et. But imo they wont, for example it would a lot of land to even produce 10% of our fuel needs from other greener fuels. By a lot of land i mean more than we have in the UK.

P.S. No one is asking you to read them, now go away and turn your computer off so some of us can have that little bit of power you saved.

Permabanned
I think living in the UK wont be as bad as other countries for transporting of goods, its not really a big country compared to France/USA/Spain etc.

We will end up with UK farmers and UK holidays, none of this crap import food and maybe the UK industrial empire will come back again.

Things like TVs and goods made in Asia will be somthing for the rich.

We will just go back to how our great grandads lived.

Soldato
teaboy5 said:
I know any oil threads i post in say this. But i am trying to get a point across to people. Some believe other forms of fuel will save us et. But imo they wont, for example it would a lot of land to even produce 10% of our fuel needs from other greener fuels. By a lot of land i mean more than we have in the UK.

P.S. No one is asking you to read them, now go away and turn your computer off so some of us can have that little bit of power you saved.

lol touché ;)

Yes, the dependancy on fossil fuels - especially oil is massive, but there have been a few threads and some articles, not to mention TV programs on the increasing research going into nuclear power as the replacement energy source. Although it is no where near the scale it needs to be to eventually replace oil as an energy source, it is getting there. There are also a lot of cities around the country that are currently using or getting into using waste to energy plants to generate heat/power. Sheffield for instance has a waste to energy plant that provides a huge amount of energy for the city centre.

Basically, what I'm saying is that YES the oil will run out, BUT there are several feasable methods, as mentioned, currently increasing in popularity that will eventually take over from oil as the main energy source.

You may get your point across, but I dont think it will make people stop using their cars or turn their central heating down a few degrees etc. Sometimes, you get so tired of hearing the same thing over and over, you switch off and it becomes irrelavent.

Soldato
OP
cheets64 said:
I think living in the UK wont be as bad as other countries for transporting of goods, its not really a big country compared to France/USA/Spain etc.

We will end up with UK farmers and UK holidays, none of this crap import food and maybe the UK industrial empire will come back again.

Things like TVs and goods made in Asia will be somthing for the rich.

We will just go back to how our great grandads lived.

It wont be that easy. Yes i agree that loacl food supply will play a big big part in the years to come. For example take a big supermarket chain (cant mind the name) it has started to transport its good by rail. They say its for the good of the climate by maybe they know more than we do. Think about it, sit down read the news, read the business news etc and check out what deals are being done and just think about it.

Associate
no real point in worrying too much about it, theres nothing we can really do about the situation is there?

i don't doubt for a second that there are alternative fuel sources out there which are more advanced that the governments/oil companies will have us believe.

there is a reason why the oil companies dont want to go bust, and why governments dont want oil companies to go bust either. they have huge money invested in the global economy and if shell/bp went bust overnight the repurcussions would be immense.

a more refined solar energy system is definately the way forward, in terms of being able to easily provide central heating for homes.

surely with the shear amount of oceans on this planet, we could develop more efficient ways of generating electricity from tidal movements etc. cost cannot be a factor in this, its for the good of the world.

as for food shortages... grow some vegatables and breed a few chicken, jobs a good 'un.

plastics are a big issue and other byproducts of oil, but im sure there is a solution out there somewhere. just look how far technology had advanced over the last 30 years, its crazy what we can do today. i cant imagine that with all modern innovation we could not find a way to carry on life as normal once/if the oil runs out.

i try not to be caught up in these whole public scaremongery things... ie y2k (lol, what a money spinner that was), the war on terrorism ( :rolleyes: ) and the 'oil crisis'

Associate
Ok, this may be the wrong thread to bring this up in (as it may deviate from the original idea however)

I read or heard or have seen on the telly - about it was impossible to destroy energy it only changed its state.

Oil (potential ???) is turned into electricity which is turned into heat energy and light (energy) which can be turned into energy by solar panels etc (for example)

Well, if that was true, surely this whole 'omgwtfzoundsman!!!!oneoneone' we are going to run out of oil/energy disproves this theory ? - surely I have this wrong somewhere?

Soldato
Three words: Hydrogen fuel cells.

The only reason we're not already using them is because the oil companies and governments want to charge us through the nose for petrol, once the oil is in short supply HFCs will suddenly become popular on the market.

One more word: Synthetics.

Pretty much all the stuff we make with plastics and use lubricants in can be used with synthetic alternatives which could even be cheaper in the longrun.

Soldato
OP
Why do people bang on about oil companies keeping stuff back. They will make their money in many more ways, a few fuel cells will never get rid of oil. These companies will still make billions a year and why should they not? They are a business after all.

Soldato
teaboy5 said:
Why do people bang on about oil companies keeping stuff back. They will make their money in many more ways, a few fuel cells will never get rid of oil. These companies will still make billions a year and why should they not? They are a business after all.

Your speaking out your arse. If free or very cheap energy was available tommorow all these oil companies would go bust, they ARE keeping stuff back.

As long as our only source of energy is an expensive resource which is only expensive mostly due to demand then the oil companies can make lots of profit.

I agree a few fuel cells won't get rid of oil, but the many other technologies they are holding back may do it.

Soldato
Rumour has it the reason we like the falklands so much is due to an amount of the black stuff off to coast of the islands, we just haven't figured out how best to get at it.

Soldato
teaboy5 said:
So, you're saying that you would keep paying current petrol prices at the pump if you could use hydrogen or methanol fuel cells for a fraction of the price?

Soldato
There seems very little point dwelling on this and I find it staggering the amount of ways people can say the same thing on the likes of peakoil.com.

We are running out of oil, so what?

I'll try not to lose any sleep over it because it's totally beyond my and everyone elses control.

Permabanned
benjo said:
Bikes are the way forward!

England, London 2006:
driving%20broken%20skyline.jpg

England, London 2026:

DSCN0610.jpg

:D :D :D

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Owell. I live in Australia so ill just have to ride around on a kangaroo :cool:

Is not the end of he world if oil runs out. You can always revert to the horse and cart method if need be.
Imagine what the boy racers would do then :p

Back
Top Bottom