If... The Oil Runs Out ON NOW!!!

Associate
If they oil companies get to the stage where they can't simply pump fuels from straight out of the earth they will simply unvail "alternative" solutions, they have been buying and as previously said "sitting on them" for years. Oil is not their trade, energy monopoly is...

Associate
Mr Joshua said:
There seems very little point dwelling on this and I find it staggering the amount of ways people can say the same thing on the likes of peakoil.com.

We are running out of oil, so what?

I'll try not to lose any sleep over it because it's totally beyond my and everyone elses control.

Sadly it is this sort of attitude that will lead to shortages sooner rather than later. If everybody was to subjectively look at their own fossil fuel consumption and try to cut down then surely the reserves will last a little bit longer as well as a cut in CO2 emmissions. Lets face it how many of us (i'm guilty on this to) hop into the car to go the shop when we could walk there in 10/15mins cycling even quicker; Use the car to go into to town whenever there is a bus/train stop on our door step; walk around the house in jeans and a t-shirt and put the heating on rather than a jumper because it's cold.
Take a look at any large orginisation be it charitable or business and you can be sure their roots stem from one person or a small group of people. The parable of the mustard seed also springs to mind.
Can't speak for Teaboy but i assuming that the reasoning behind his multiple oil threads is to try and get people to start thinking in the collective rather than the individual - i'm sure there is bound to be stats somewhere that highlight savings made if the entire UK/EU/Global population adjusted their thermostats by x degrees or cut their annual mileage by x miles. If all the people that said i'm only one person what difference will i make actually did something i'm sure the results would be suprising.
It may not be our responsibilty to solve this imminent crisis but surely it is our responsibility to try an prolong it for as long as possible. We moan about the price of oil/petrol but honestly have any of us really changed our consumption habits?

Soldato
People need to start becoming more independent of the basic systems we depend on, energy is a good start, why can't we cheaply and easily power our homes without the grid?

If there exists a clean free energy device that's simple and small enough to have in every home and vehicle then its our right to have it, no corrupt greedy individual or organisations can doom humanity for their own selfish reasons, think about it, money and even power are meaningless if you end up with no one to buy from or control, better quality of life for everyone is all that matters in the long run.

I do wonder what these big companies do with their money, what's the point in making a big profit when they reach a certain size?, is it to pay their shareholders so they can get another car or house to waste or could they actually give a **** about the world and make a real improvement?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1992629256196958115&q=peak+oil

Watch this and note the bit about the bacteria in jars.

Soldato
the oil won't run out, it will simply become more and more expensive (as its more difficult to extract) and society will adapt and change as it always does

Soldato
What's that Germany? Waste pellet power plants? ;)

Edit: They are still mostly coal, but I think this is where they are going. :)

Edit: Infact they are building one for us in Maidstone. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Makavelli said:
Sadly it is this sort of attitude that will lead to shortages sooner rather than later.
My point was that we can't stop using fuel today (buses, trains, planes, lorries, ships etc.) and nothing will stop people needing to consume oil short of some amazing break through alternative. Even if we managed to stop using as much in this country do you think the likes of China will decrease their demand? If anything demand will be on the increase in Chine worrying about it seems fruitless to me.

Soldato
Honestly, if it eventually run out, i am not too bothered! my country has plenty of them and that means Nigeria here i come.

Oh bugger, i wont be able too :( The plane home will be too expensive or wont fly as their aint any fuel. I guess we just need to adapt.

Last edited:
Soldato
Makavelli said:
Sadly it is this sort of attitude (Snip). We moan about the price of oil/petrol but honestly have any of us really changed our consumption habits?

Do you really think if people changed their consumption levels it would make any difference?

The UK and Europe as a whole, is really shooting itself in the foot at the moment. We keep imposing tougher and tougher pollution regulations on our home companies, which increase their production costs. While China is pumping out all sorts of rubbish while they flood the mark with cheap goods!

Even if the UK did become extreamly green, I doubt it would make much difference worldwide while you have China / India developing at thier current rate.

Associate
MonkeyMan said:
Do you really think if people changed their consumption levels it would make any difference?

The UK and Europe as a whole, is really shooting itself in the foot at the moment. We keep imposing tougher and tougher pollution regulations on our home companies, which increase their production costs. While China is pumping out all sorts of rubbish while they flood the mark with cheap goods!

Even if the UK did become extreamly green, I doubt it would make much difference worldwide while you have China / India developing at thier current rate.

I don't think that it will make a difference, oil will eventually run out that's a fact, what i do think is that we can prolong the agony so to speak.

Again people keep looking at the situation back to front. Your right, we can't do anything about the industrial boom is Asia at them moment, we can do even less if we don't practice what we preach. The fact that we as a nation/globe appear quite apathetic to environmental issues lends itself to the asian industrial boom. We live in a throw away culture were nothing is built to last and we accept that as the norm, as long as we keep buying cheap imports we are throwing fuel to the fire. In the long haul how can we expect to persuade asian countries to even look at oil consumption, global warming etc when we can't even get our own house in order.

I would imagine the economics will bring things full circle in the end, manufacturing will move back home because shipping costs will dictate so - whether you or I will live to see it is another story.

Soldato
welshtom said:
We need to crack Nuclear Fusion, That will sort the energy crisis out.
Your average Joe seems to think that fusion reactors explode, a common misconception that will delay fusion for quite some time. Just look at how average Joe has held back fission for the last few decades with scaremongering and ignorance.

Seriousness aside, I would like a Mr. Fusion like in Back To The Future. I could power a car with leftover donner kebab.

Back
Top Bottom