If the year was 1944 would you.....

Soldato
RAF ground crew

I was in the Air Cadets for years, and during the war the ATC was used to help re-arm and equip aircraft

Definitely the way I would have got involved

Suspended
Probably. But as for today would not sign up, and if I were a soldier I would resign rather than serve (disagree with this decent war)

Man of Honour
If I had nothing to live for, i.e. no family, no loved ones nothing, then if it wasn't for conscription I'd probably do it. But really I'd be a conscientious objector. I'd have to believe in the war I'm fighting to take part in one.

WW2 was awful and a tragic loss of life - it always makes me feel sad thinking about it actually. Especially having spent a lot of time walking around the trenches in France and seeing the mass graves, it really hits it home.

I guess I'm a wimp or not brave enough - but that's with hindsight - maybe at the time I'd join in the folly of patriotism and wouldn't think about the consequences. IT's hard to make an impartial decision now having seen the devastation caused.

Permabanned
Von Luck said:
Hehehe, scary thing is I can actually imagine it.

"ooh look at him throw that grenade, tsk...wrists like a bloody girl" :p

"Call yourself a bloody sniper? My gran could have hit that with both eyes closed and one arm behind her back!"

*n

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Freefaller said:
If I had nothing to live for, i.e. no family, no loved ones nothing, then if it wasn't for conscription I'd probably do it. But really I'd be a conscientious objector. I'd have to believe in the war I'm fighting to take part in one.

WW2 was awful and a tragic loss of life - it always makes me feel sad thinking about it actually. Especially having spent a lot of time walking around the trenches in France and seeing the mass graves, it really hits it home.

I guess I'm a wimp or not brave enough - but that's with hindsight - maybe at the time I'd join in the folly of patriotism and wouldn't think about the consequences. IT's hard to make an impartial decision now having seen the devastation caused.

Tbh If i had a Girl friend i loved(or just a really good friend) and a lot more people that would miss me if i died then i wouldnt go.

But Since i dont, i would join have joined up

Associate
My Dad lost his brother in 1945, while he was fighting in the Highland light infantry close to the German border. It's easy to forget the effect of the deaths of all those fighters and civilians killed, on the families they left behind.

Neb

Neb

Associate
It is quite hard to say, as I am not in the position where I would know, the pressure and patrisim of the time would be what will make me sign up. Knowing the conditions, not the front line. Fighting for the country is good, but suicide is a real turn off. Atleast in the Airforce you really get to live before you get shot down.

(Expects a roll eyes.)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Neb said:
It is quite hard to say, as I am not in the position where I would know, the pressure and patrisim of the time would be what will make me sign up. Knowing the conditions, not the front line. Fighting for the country is good, but suicide is a real turn off. Atleast in the Airforce you really get to live before you get shot down.

(Expects a roll eyes.)

In the battle of Brittan, didnt a lot of pilots only get about 2 or 3 weeks training before they were sent out to defend the country?
And a lot of pilots get shot down with in there first 6 flights?

Saying that, i wouldnt have minded flying in the battle of brittan

Soldato
It's been so romanticised by modern films, TV series and games that it's impossible to tell.

If it was like Battlefield 1942, then of course I would; if it was like it probably was in real life, probably not.

Soldato
I wouldn't really have to decide, the Germans (along with the Italians, Albanians and Bulgarians) invaded Greece in the 1940, the resistance was pretty strong and the Italians would have a hard time occupying the country if it wasn't for Germany. Which is why the resistance was so importaint, Hitler lost valuable time in going to Russia because of us. ;) :D

#

:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom