If this is what future gaming is then I say NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I am assuming this is the Natal video of the family with the 2 kids in front? (I can't see it at work, but it's doing the rounds)? If so, the crucial thing is, they looked as if they where enjoying themselves, so it gets a thumbs up from me!

Stop being so vain, all motion control systems are going to have some people inevitable arm flailing around to one degree or another, so what? Unless you have a camera recording you doing it, and posting it on Youtube, who cares..

I'm up for Natal/Move, I can't see them having lasting appeal (just like the Wii), but clearly they should have some fun stuff for a while..

:)

Natal looks awful.
Just Natal? ;)

Last edited:
Associate
This is the future of gaming, if you like it or not.

Graphics will only improve at very small margins now as the next gen consoles will probbley focus on motion sensor devices.

Motion Sensor devices will kill off some genres of gaming (like how the 3D consoles killed off 2D platformers), but it will also open up dozens more.

I think its going to be make or break for the gaming market, as game manufactures are running out of ideas now.

Soldato
This is the future of gaming, if you like it or not.

Graphics will only improve at very small margins now as the next gen consoles will probbley focus on motion sensor devices.

Motion Sensor devices will kill off some genres of gaming (like how the 3D consoles killed off 2D platformers), but it will also open up dozens more.

I think its going to be make or break for the gaming market, as game manufactures are running out of ideas now.

Thats impossible to know and only your opinion, you wont catch me doing what they are doing in that vid, I didnt know wether to laugh or scream at the monitor in frustration

Also, how will FPS and RPG's, MMO's insert any other existing game genre thats known to the masses translate to Natal style tech. It cant really, its for kids and families, to get some of the market share that 360 and PS3 are missing out on because the Wii dominates it, thats my opinion on it

Soldato
Natal/Move/Wii do scare me as a hardcore gaming as this is becoming the future of gaming but I always think the games that sell the most are the biggest most hardcore titles (MW2, RDR, GTA's etc). So I'm not concerned that motion controls will destroy gaming as we know at as we are still the biggest revenue so game developers will only want to make AAA titles for motion controls if they actually work and sell.

Yes the Wii has made billions! But it's a totally different market at the moment with many big developers not daring to touch it, so I don't think the hardware alone can break gaming as we know it as if the developers don't like it then Microsoft etc won't make it. Natal and Move (Natal defiantly) want a bit of that sweet profitable Wii pie that Microsoft has been going for since the launch of the 360, so in saying that, the video above represents what Microsoft want out of the Natal people who don't play games to enter the market.

I think we are safe for now ^.^ But don't expect Move/Natal to change the new Halos/Gears/Killzones

Associate
Thats impossible to know and only your opinion, you wont catch me doing what they are doing in that vid, I didnt know wether to laugh or scream at the monitor in frustration

Also, how will FPS and RPG's, MMO's insert any other existing game genre thats known to the masses translate to Natal style tech. It cant really, its for kids and families, to get some of the market share that 360 and PS3 are missing out on because the Wii dominates it, thats my opinion on it

Project Natal seems to too good to be true, definitely the Milo demo which I wont ever see anything like that in my lifetime (im 26 years old).

FPS could easily die off. 2D platformers were even more populer than todays FPS on the Megadrive, SNES and the Amiga. When the original Playstation,Saturn etc came out, 2D platformers died very quickily.

MMOs arent on consoles, that will strictly stay on the PCs. I dont think there is a market for MMOs for consoles as that genre is for the hardcore user crowd.

Soldato
The only thing i'd want from natal would be something like track IR. Be great for say tracking your head in forza while you used a wheel/pad/

Associate
The only thing i'd want from natal would be something like track IR. Be great for say tracking your head in forza while you used a wheel/pad/

Lot of developers have already said they are looking into adding stuff like that into games that you wouldnt think natal would work with. Squad based FPS for example, still use the controller to move and shoot but rather than give instructions to AI squad members via menus could use hand gestures.

Think thats where it has an advantage over move and the wii, with them its all or nothing, Natal can be used to add more to games, it doesnt always have to be the primary controller. So think it will make its way into a lot of games in ways that may not seem obvious at first, and navigating the dashboard without a controller come on who doesnt think thats going to be good!

Soldato
Lot of developers have already said they are looking into adding stuff like that into games that you wouldnt think natal would work with. Squad based FPS for example, still use the controller to move and shoot but rather than give instructions to AI squad members via menus could use hand gestures.

Think thats where it has an advantage over move and the wii, with them its all or nothing, Natal can be used to add more to games, it doesnt always have to be the primary controller. So think it will make its way into a lot of games in ways that may not seem obvious at first, and navigating the dashboard without a controller come on who doesnt think thats going to be good!

I think Move has equally good prospects in being able to augment existing genre's etc..

I agree with the rest though, I can imagine both techologies could significantly improve RTS' as an example.

:)

Caporegime
I don't think so, as said above there are things that could improve certain game types massively!

Just think Ghost Recon, using proper hand gestures to control the squad. RTS games using your hands to highlight/move units/squads.

Could be very good.

Associate
I don't think so, as said above there are things that could improve certain game types massively!

Just think Ghost Recon, using proper hand gestures to control the squad. RTS games using your hands to highlight/move units/squads.

Could be very good.

it could be a great way to bring the RTS genre onto consoles indeed.

I think people are just being too narrow minded about Natal, but then again, people dont like change.

Edz

Edz

Soldato
I am assuming this is the Natal video of the family with the 2 kids in front? (I can't see it at work, but it's doing the rounds)? If so, the crucial thing is, they looked as if they where enjoying themselves, so it gets a thumbs up from me!

The woman is an MS rep, the man is a journalist with his two kids. Give me a cheque and I'll jump around like a prat with a smile on my face:)

Make it big enough and I'll force my kids to also.

Edz

Edz

Soldato
it could be a great way to bring the RTS genre onto consoles indeed.

I think people are just being too narrow minded about Natal, but then again, people dont like change.

What like Endwar?

People don't mind mind change most just know a turd's a turd even if everyone try's to tell you it's not :)

Caporegime
It could have applications, but I reckon it will either end up with no one buying it and no games, or just loads of shovelware.

The Wii remote has some brilliant applications - the FPS controls in Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime are amazing, and the wheel controls in Mario Kart are good - but for the most part the games are pure shovelware. I suspect there may be some neat tricks you can do with Natal, but arm flailing is going to get a thumbs down from me.

Back
Top Bottom