If this is what future gaming is then I say NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
While the people in that vid may look stupid, I think, if done right, Natal could be good and have it's uses.

Like many others, I certainly don't want to be jumping around my living room like a fool, but am keeping an open mind as to what it will offer. I am looking forward to it, and if it turns out not to be great, then I won't have to buy it.

As already mentioned, looking around in driving games and the like could be good, possibly with a similar implementation for looking around in fps games.

Could be great for customisation of stuff in games, allowing you to paint freehand - say something like the card customisation in Forza.

Fighting games could be good fun if done properly - and perhaps it could be set to recognise small gestures rather than requiring doing an actual move, because that would end in disaster.

I dunno, I think some people are being a little narrow minded here. OK, yeah, it could turn out to be total rubbish, but when you think about it, there is so much they could offer beyond controlling a game fully through Natal.

Gamepad combined with Natal I think could be fantastic if developers do it right.

Soldato
I think navigation will be decent on Natal. I.e. scrolling through the dash and in-game menus. Also say in FPS it could be cool to use the standard pad as normal but for small things like change to a grenade you use some sort of hand gesture, that may work. But for full on control imo it looks awful.

Associate
While that video does make you look silly i still think the technology has allot of potential and i'd be very interested to see what they have to show at e3.

However that being said i want to see a few things before i consider it seriously

1. Isn't a silly gimmick
2. Doesn't require me to flail about just for the hell of it, and actually has some structure to its controls.
3. Actually makes sensible use out of the technology for new innovations in gaming or to enhance existing recipes.

While i doubt I'll be picking this up anytime soon after it's launched im looking forward to seeing what developers can make out of it.

Soldato
Hmm. I'm not too sure about all this 'get up and play' stuff. The Wii is bad enough having to swing your arms around to hit a tennis ball for example. I can't think of a worse gaming experience than having to physically move my character!

IMO gaming is all about sitting back and relaxing while being immersed in a different world whether it's racing in a Bugatti around Silverstone or fighting DarkSpawn in Dragon Age with your sword and shield and being able to do all this without moving more than your fingers.

What is the obsession with people wanting to stay fit while gaming? Stupid fat people brought this on us. :p

Soldato
Those PS3's look crap. I saw a video of someone playing Unchartered 2 the other day and they were just sat there, holding a pad.:confused:

picardfacepam.jpg

btw, natal is called wave now.

I they have a lot to prove at E3. So far everything we have seen of this looks like an eye camera game.

Anyway, I really think this whole motion,waving arms around games are old news. Everyone has had their fill on the Wii. Wave needs to be more than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem with this is, as above, hand gesturing to your squad etc would be awesome and there is a whole host of new possibilities but 99% of the time it will make the basic moving controls a PITA. There will be the odd game that will be great but as i've got older I just want to sit on my sofa and '****' whilst playing, not try and swat flies out of the air :p

Soldato
Looking at the promo stuff for Natal/wave from MS its all family with smiley faces having fun, much like the wii adds we see on the TV, without Ant and Dec. I expect this is for the market they want ie casual/family games market and for the everyday press to soak up as they can relate it to the wii as such. Now come E3 proper not the silly cirque solei thing on sunday i honestly expect MS to bring out some big gun support for natal for the core games. Perhpas not the motion control aspect even the voice/face recognition for say Gears 3 and some mechanics for Fable 3 could make these games a better one if using Natal. I cant see it being used as the only control method in a TPS/FPS but some mechanics in the game could make in more immersive and more fun, hopefully not tacked on as we see in some of the older Wii games.
Now, the Sony Move for me is a different thing entirely it has the head/body tracking and voice control as Natal, but it also has a 1:1 pointer more like a mouse. This could make it seriously good for FPS games if done correctly and looking at some stuff for SOCOM it works very well. There is also a few vids about showing a game using head/motion tracking as well as the move controllers.
Im interestead in both and will probably end up getting them, depending on the price, but i want to see some "proper" games from MS and a few more from Sony before i commit.

Soldato
Move is like a more advance Wii and Natal is a more advance eye toy?

Thats what I am getting. Not being a fanboy or anything, but I could see myself getting more into move than natal. Move can appeal to every gamer on the PS3... I don't think natal can on the 360.

Caporegime
So Microsoft are jumping on the Wii bandwagon next generation?

I must admit I prefer my games to be mentally challenging, I can understand authorities wanting kids to get more excercise whilst playing but your typical Wii game has about much depth as a paddling pool.

Back
Top Bottom