If this is what future gaming is then I say NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Ah well, at least with Natal you can't run the risk of doing this. :D

:D Priceless, I can tell you having a 4 and 6 year old, the Wii-Motes where carefully supervised, but it was my Mum who gave my Brother a black eye on Boxing day playing Wii-sports, and that wasn't from the Wii-mote, just the back of her hand, so Natal ain't gonna save everyone.. mind you Black eyes heal, TV's dont....

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think that you would find them looking equally retarded if you tried to get them to do any other physical activity or sport in real life. What did they expect to happen; between the family they have about as much balance and co-ordination as a spastic in a magnet factory.

Soldato
I predict in the not too distant future we can expect gaming to go more mobile as advances allow, we will finally have those virtual reality head sets at last but they will be augmented reality and small like a pair of glasses instead, imagine shooting zombies from your window, or multiplayer out and about like paintball, this would be good not only for gaming but internet access, infomation overlays, virtual objects, dsiplays, controls and chat, imagine a virtual avatar of someone you know being beamed into the same room as you from anywhere in the world.

The possibilities are endless and im pretty sure we could do much of it now but the mobile hardware and software isn't quite there yet, it will happen though im sure, just a matter of time now.

Associate
I predict in the not too distant future we can expect gaming to go more mobile as advances allow, we will finally have those virtual reality head sets at last but they will be augmented reality and small like a pair of glasses instead, imagine shooting zombies from your window, or multiplayer out and about like paintball, this would be good not only for gaming but internet access, infomation overlays, virtual objects, dsiplays, controls and chat, imagine a virtual avatar of someone you know being beamed into the same room as you from anywhere in the world.

The possibilities are endless and im pretty sure we could do much of it now but the mobile hardware and software isn't quite there yet, it will happen though im sure, just a matter of time now.

wow, that would be amazing, dont think something like that will be out within the next 25 years tho!

Soldato
Augmented reality has been in development for a while now. I reckon it could possibly be a next generation technology after 3D. I mean at the moment it is that and 3D hologram projection? I would actually estimate augmented technologies coming in towards the end of the PS4's life cycle in just under 10 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
wow, that would be amazing, dont think something like that will be out within the next 25 years tho!

Yeah i reckon we should really start to see this stuff within the next 10 to 20 years, much of the tech is kind of around already but its yet to be realized, mobiles and the internet were the last big thing so im almost certain this will be the next as mobiles get powerful enough, heck it could be done now to some extent, oddly though there is little talk or even realization about this kind of mobile technology, we are just now starting to see little augmented mobile apps and as devices get more powerful and displays miniaturized we should see glasses, contact lenses and even laser retinal displays which scan the back of the eye appearing, controls will be voice operated, thought control (very limited to start) and simple skin sensing or other small hand controls, you can bet it will happen presuming current trends continue and our economy doesn't collapse.

One great possibility of augmented reality is that a lot of stuff we have now won't be needed in the future, if you have a high resolution display why have a tv, you can have full vision movies and shows, or if you want a virtual tv in your room that stays in place, think virtual objects that look real in your house but arent actually there, there will be virtual stuff everywhere you go, it will be like a shared and private virtual reality overlaid on the real one we have, less need to waste resources on material stuff that can be virtualized, so quite a green tech potentially.

Associate
It's not the future of gaming but it will take over the family games, make a impact on a number of sports games too and I can imagine a lot of people would use it for general navigation but it would never replace a controller or k/m for shooters and propers racers etc.

Sure maybe in the long far away future we will just use our bodies and you might hold props but I spose it is heading in the future of gaming but by the time it becomes acceptable for every game genre it will have developed a lot.

Associate
MMOs arent on consoles, that will strictly stay on the PCs. I dont think there is a market for MMOs for consoles as that genre is for the hardcore user crowd.

Sony would appear to disagree - Agency, DC Universe and Free Realms are all due in the next year. I'm sure MS are working at MMOs too.

Depth for starters unlike your constant fault finding with anything and everything MS.

That camera/experience your showing is a 2D mirror experience also used in 360 games like You're in the Movies etc. Natal offers a motorised camera, IR camera, voice recognition, facial recognition and some of the most advanced software ever written for tracking bodies in 3D space.

There's been a great number of positive hands on reports of Natal lately in both the mainstream and hardcore press yet the uninformed bashing still continues unabated; it's weary.

Patronising much :rolleyes:?

The Sony Move, while not hugely revolutionary, has at least proved that it works superbly in live demos. Natal can claim to have whatever it wants, but until I see it actually working outside of an MS office (and I don't mean the obviously scripted Milo demo), I am going to be dubious.

As for hands on reports, the only reports I've read recently are ones that mention the dodgeball demo - they do agree it works, but as previously mentioned, it worked fine on Eye Play on the PS2.

It's not "uninformed bashing" - it's people not being totally sucked in by developer videos and promises.

Soldato
Future of gaming = one joypad, online content and £40 price tag

end of

£40 for the console?

What have you been smoking?

Sorry, ps2 had that camera thing that, to me, looks exactly like this. I can't see anything new at all?

Thats what have I have been trying to say. sure, KINECT has more advanced tech but you are still seeing people flap their arms around like you would when playing an eye toy game.

You're aren't going to get Gears of War 3 with controls like socom or anything like that. I really think microsoft need to bring out some sort of controller for kinect at E3. Hands free gaming just doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you read the news sites talking about a Star Wars game. Using the Force powers with Kinect and a virtual lightsaber? Now that sounds interesting.

From what i've read it sounds like Milo; scripted, restrictive and, while impressive to an observer, offers no real freedom to the user and quickly shows cracks when experimented with. Maybe with time the concept will evolve and improve but as it stands i'm not even slightly interested.

Caporegime
This is complete garbage, all they're trying to do is muscle in on the Wii's market share.

What kind of moron is going to buy this crap? Gimmick, through and through.

Back
Top Bottom