"If we had to slaughter our own meat, we'd all be vegetarian"

Associate
This was a point made in the film Earthlings, which gives an insight into the terrible cruelty we have inflicted upon animals.

What do you think? If it came to be the only way of obtaining meat, could you kill an animal? I know I certainly couldn't.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Easily, it's not strangling kittens.

What do you think we did before everything came in a plastic package?

Soldato
I'd have no trouble hunting for my own meat. Done pheasant shooting before, along with plucking and slicing em up.

If it were a matter of life and death I'm sure even the most anti animal killing person would eventually give in. All those years of scouts would finally pay off!

Soldato
Once the hunger kicks in I have no doubt that instinct would push my emotions to one side and turn me into a mini T Rex.

Soldato
If people needed to hunt for their own food it's likely they would have grown up with having to kill their own from a young age, and it would have desensitized people to doing it into adulthood, it would just been the norm.

I don't think it would have made much difference if it just occurred at a random time either, I hate killing animals, but if I had to I would learn to do it, after the first 2 or 3 times it wouldn't really effect you any longer. Killing chickens and fishing both wouldn't be much problem for anyone here I doubt.

Man of Honour
Since humans were killing their own meat for almost all of the existence of humanity (and in many places still are), I think the statement is wrong.

I think more people would be vegetarian, but by no means all and only if a healthy vegetarian diet was conveniently and cheaply obtainable.

Associate
Easily,

I regularly shoot, skin and cook rabbits/pheasant and other game. I am pretty sure I would not hesitate culling a cow or a sheep.

You have got to be one wet fish if you couldn't kill, skin, gut and cook an animal if you were required to survive.

Its not cruelty to animals, its nature, live with it or become one of those flim flam vegetarians. No idea what goes on in their head, they're off it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I could definitely do this unless he had mates with him. Imagine it : you're about to chop the head of some poor pheasant and then next thing you know he's performed some secret animal message throughout the animal kingdom and a hoard of his friends turn up! Stoats! Otters! Chickens! Maybe even a cow!

I'd have no chance.

This is why I prefer someone else to kill the animals. It's just too risky these days.

Caporegime
This was a point made in the film Earthlings, which gives an insight into the terrible cruelty we have inflicted upon animals.

What do you think? If it came to be the only way of obtaining meat, could you kill an animal? I know I certainly couldn't.

I think you're a bit soft tbh...

Also the statement in the thread title is borderline retarded - we weren't all vegetarians prior to the existence of abattoirs/butchers shops/super markets etc...

/off topic though - we are likely to revert to a more vegetarian diet whereby meat is only consumed occasionally - not out of animal welfare concerns but more due to meat becoming more and more expensive - it will be a luxury item again in future.

Soldato
Rabbits and chickens... maybe the odd deer? Quite limited to what there is to hunt around here. Not like I can go out and find me a wild pig in Cramlington is it?

I probably would hunt... but I wouldn't consume half as much meat as I do now.

Fishing.. hmm

Back
Top Bottom