If you could legally download full XBOX360 games...

Soldato
If they brought out a decent sized hard drive, or allowed saving to a USB drive, and offered them at a decent discount (~£25-30), then, yes :)

Boxes and disks are great, but if it was cheaper... ;)

Associate
I would definately like to be able to download 360 games, but only if I could precache them so you just needed to activate them at release time. And also if they had an online manual and you could backup the software to USB storage device or PC. Microsoft would definately have to release a larger HD though.

Caporegime
dirtydog said:
No I wouldn't. I like to have the retail box and a tangible product, and I also want something I can sell in future. You'll notice that you can't re-sell Steam games but they aren't any cheaper to reflect this major restriction!

I totally agree. I am all for having auto-updates a la steam, but I do like the actual product in a case thats re-sellable.

Associate
Assuming we will still pay full price for the game, I would definately wouldn't. Downloading 8 gb of stuff through internet for the same price of a DVD you can buy to me is a waste of time, bandwidth and money, hell you dont even get a cool box and manual with it and what if a friend wants to borrow a game for a few days? They would probably have take your HD along with all your other games stored on it.

Soldato
Actual media is just more verstile. I can lend it to a friend or sell it. I doubt you'd be able to do that with downloadable games.

However, physical media does have the downside that you've got to find it every time you want to play that game and can get scratched.

Overall, I'd probably say no to downloadable games.

Soldato
I would, if they were slightly cheaper, and there was some method of backup or I could redownload them if need be.

Not being able Re-sell doesn't really interest me, as I never bother selling or trading anything in.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Technically though, you're not allowed to re-sell software, so the publishers *may* reduce the price knowing their product has a once-ownership situation.

Permabanned
~J~ said:
Technically though, you're not allowed to re-sell software

This is wrong isn't it?! (apart from Steam games)

so the publishers *may* reduce the price knowing their product has a once-ownership situation.

Valve hasn't done that with their games. The online prices are expensive and you're not allowed to resell the retail boxed versions.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Wrong as in incorrect, or wrong as in morraly not right?

The EULA that you get with software specifically says you're not allowed to sell on the software, in fact, you never own the software or the product, you only purchase a right in which to use the software. So technically, you can't sell you're rights as it's an agreement between you and the vendor.

However, I'm not saying this happens now, and 99.9% of publishers overlook this, but if the games were widely available to download, then I doubt you'd be able to sell it on as they'd make a loss.

As for Valve, well some of their products are cheaper. Darwinia is cheaper to buy through Steam than it was retail.

Permabanned
I meant wrong as incorrect :) I was asking though as I'm not sure. Like most people I've never really read a EULA. (Morally wrong too btw! Of course you should be able to resell retail boxed, non-OEM software)

I know Half Life 2 was just as expensive online as in the shops, which seems out of order as there is no retailer to take a cut, and no box and disc to manufacture etc. .. profiteering IMO.. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom