If you dug a hole through the center of the earth would you......

Soldato
The gravity would certainly not crush you as many people are implying. Assuming the mass of the earth was closer to that of the sun (probably even more would be needed) you would be pulled apart, not squashed

Soldato
I asked my science teacher this exact question in year 7, he said you would sort of go up and down at the center until you stopped due to air resistance. (I used to be such a clever little boy, ah well :p )

But if you did dig a hole straight through the middle, would that not mess up the whole Earth's gravity in any way?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Sparky__H said:
Then it’s the bouncing ball equation all over again

The guy would have enough force to break past the source but the pull would mean he would slingshot back and forth until he stopped altogether.

Sounds like fun :D

/Gets shovel

Associate
Johanson said:
I asked my science teacher this exact question in year 7, he said you would sort of go up and down at the center until you stopped due to air resistance. (I used to be such a clever little boy, ah well :p )

But if you did dig a hole straight through the middle, would that not mess up the whole Earth's gravity in any way?

Not in the direction of your movement, I think, said the physics grad.

Soldato
gord said:
What your really asking is if the Earth was put on a treadmill would the gravity =0.9r divided by the number of sandwiches you get when you slice one in half, subtracted from Broadband, isnt it?

Also have to consider whether or not thats a bacon sandwich, and what sauce has been applied. Otherwise the whole hypothesis is shot.

SiriusB

Soldato
if there is a hole in the 'centre' of the earth, and you are in it, you wont experience any gravitational net force. you wont get crushed :rolleyes:, you wont get torn apart :rolleyes:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Amleto said:
if there is a hole in the 'centre' of the earth, and you are in it, you wont experience any gravitational net force. you wont get crushed :rolleyes:, you wont get torn apart :rolleyes:

What will you get then?

Associate
Amleto said:
will your eyes roll though? are you there? is that what's created that effect?

Jules Verne - Journey to the centre of the earth

THAT's what happens :p

Associate
OK here we go again in bigger so you can see

assuming no air res, you'd oscillate SHM style.

with air res damped SHM

Basically, you'd accelerate towards the centre, reach maxV at centre, momentum carries you thru centre, continue accelerating towards centre, repeat ad infinitum w/o air res

with it would get smaller and smaller oscilations till you settle on centre..

at least, i think thats right, aint done this physics malarky for a good year.

Soldato
Zip said:
Or would you just get crash or torn about from both forces pushing an pulling each way?
Johanson said:

dear oh dear - Gravity originates from mass, not the center point of a planet.
The misconception is a product of Newton's thereom, which proved that in a spherically symmetric distribution of matter, a particle feels no force from matter at greater radii, and the matter within the radii gives the same force as one would expect from a point source located at r=0. if you were at r = 0, assuming the earths matter distribution to be sherically symmetric, you would feel no contribution to gravity. Ergo, you would not be squashed, or pulled apart.

(of course, you would oscillate around this point if you had net motion to begin with)

Back
Top Bottom