1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you had 600 quid to buy a PC for digital photography and editing?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Maniac618, 26 May 2006.

1. Maniac618

Wise Guy

What spec would you buy?

My dad, likes photography as a hobby and is soon to purchase a digital camera (a decent/serious one, not sure which yet).

What PC would you get with 600 quid? What would be the most important parts for a PC used for Photographic editing and word processing and internet browsing?

Thanks for any advice, I sense there are other threads like this one, but started this for it to get up to date technological responses.

2. sproutpunx

Gangster

I think, but I'm not sure, that Apple is better at digital photo editing than PC, so maybe look into getting one of those?

3. SDK^

Capodecina

Spec as follows

- At least 1GB Ram
    - The biggest Hard Drive you can afford (300GB+) and an additional Hard Drive for backups
    - A DVD Writer to backup

4. mrgubby

Soldato

and spend the rest on a good CRT

5. AndyBorzi

Wise Guy

Try asking in the hardware forum, there are some very knowledgeable people in there who will spec you one up - using ocuk stuff :p

You may have to be prepared to build yourself though!

6. Maniac618

Wise Guy

thanks guys.

7. Matt

Soldato

I'd definatly get a Mac :)

My parents have been using PC's for years, and i convinced them to get a Mac Mini at Christmas, and it really is great for them.

Personally i got my MacBook this week, and that's great too. The only slight issue with Intel based Mac's at the moment is that Photoshop (for example) hasn't been converted to run on them, and so is slow :(

Do not just ignore the Mac's though. If you're a student then you could get him about 15% off them too!

8. Maniac618

Wise Guy

Are Macs generally more expensive though? I am a student, do teachers get discounts too?

9. Matt

Soldato

Uni students get about 15% off (i ordered over the phone, and they didn't even ask for proof!).

The base MacBook is £643 for students, however, the costs could rise if you want more RAM/external HDD, etc... But to get started it's a very good price for what you do get.

I'm not sure of iMac prices though, so you'd be best off just phoning and asking.

[edit] If you have NUS, you can go through the NUS site to the Apple Store, and it shows the discounts

10. Maniac618

Wise Guy

I'll have a look, thanks a lot for the help.

11. mctrials23

Hitman

for 600 notes you can get a very good computer, you will want 2gb of ram, a fast processor and a good fast hd. Maybe raid 1 a couple of hds so that you will never lose pics and get a dvd burner.

Easily had for 600

12. nolimit

Wise Guy

I got Mac and it is lovely, the only downside is the lack of free (decent) raw software.

Lightroom runs very slow. Adobe is bit slow and Aperture will struggle on my iBook G4.

I wish Raw Shooter came out on Mac.

If you gonna be shooting photos as Jpeg then Mac would be good if Raw I'd stick with the PC as it has more software options.

13. DizMatt

Mobster

mac mini's will basically be an old g4 or a intel duo core which is nice but basically a laptop based chipset.
    600 notes including a monitor!?
    I'd get a P4 based system with lots of hdd space, 160gb plus at least, 1gb ram
    don't need special graphics although make sure the motherboard has an AGP or PCI-e 16 slot on it for future proofing
    that's all you need really
    if you can get a dual core system, even better
    monitor wise, decent tft is okay, 19" is nice
    something with a good contrast ratio
    600 notes is enough

14. DizMatt

Mobster

just had a look...there is a high street retailer for example that do a nice xerox monitor, fair machine with 512megs ram and dual core pentium for £630 inc
    there must be similar or better deals out there too

15. wsurfa

Hitman

Intel dual cores may be coming down in price in next few months - if they do then I'd suggest basing around one of these and overclocking.

2 GB ram is a must with Photoshop
    Large storage disk and separate app and scratch disk locations
    DVD burner

16. nolimit

Wise Guy

PC is the best option for your budget.

I built PC for friend yesterday and his budget was £600.

bought him from OCUK

Acer 19 inch WS, 120GB HDD, DVDRW, 1gb Ram, Geforce 6600, Asus AH1 Barbone, AMD 3000 and budget Logitech Speaker.

if you buy cheap GFX and get Intel Dual Core and 2GB RAM, it will all come to around £600-650. (not including mouse, keyboard).

17. mctrials23

Hitman

my advice is to wait until july when the new intel conroe comes out and then u can get an uber system for ** money.

18. Mint_Sauce

Mobster

Ignore me :)

Last edited: 2 Jun 2006
  19. DeathCab4Stuie

Associate

Why aren't you dual booting XP and MacOS thats what im doing if not in the initial stages cos i got a MacBook pro 17in yesterday! i've almost got it all sorted...2 reformats later lol...S from what im hearing until a universal binary is out for adobe apps they are far faster on XP...Gutter huh..S

20. Matt

Soldato

I am, but i only use Windows for .NET development, i just don't like it anymore :( It doesn't work how i want an OS to!