If you had 600 quid to buy a PC for digital photography and editing?

Soldato
philio16 said:
Theres nothin a Mac can do that a windows based system can't do......windows will work out cheaper too

Go and check the MacBook price against a similar specified Dell system, and then tell us what you find ;)

Soldato
If you've already got a system that you're upgrading, then half your job is already done. If not it's going to be slightly more difficult. You'll need a decent CPU, but graphics are not a major issue if that's all you're doing with it, so maybe get a cut down budget card. Personally I'd say get at least a 2ghz CPU, average gfx card and definately get TWO hard drives, plus 2gb ram. Photoshop will run okay on 1gb but as I've found, it's much more fun with 2gb :) As for the hard drives, I say get two, so you can have one average sized one, partitioned for O/S and one for work in progress/unedited and the second one (largest you can afford really) purely for finished work/other storage. DVD writers are ten a penny now, so that's hardly an issue, and as for motherboards, you can get really decent budget ones now. My personal favorite mobo is the Soltek brand. I've used those budget boards for years now and I've NEVER had a single problem.

As for your monitor, get an Iiyama monitor. They're top notch, be it the budget, or top end ones.

Finally, what ever you do, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY. Get a poor PSU, and you can kiss your sytem goodbye if it blows :|

Back
Top Bottom