IIHS Crash Test: 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air

Caporegime
I remember seeing that other video where they crash a Volvo 940 into a Megane(?). I drove a Volvo 940 when I was 18, and was pleased at how much safer it would be than some little Corsa thing. Never did realise just how much better newer cars are in terms of safety.

edit: Modus, not Megane, heres the video:

this just shows that everything they bang on about in the ncap ratings is true.

Even a big old massive volvo, a car twice the size of the modus comes off worse.

Critics of the ncap ratings say they're poppy ****, and not relevant to real life because they assume you'll only collid with other equally sized cars

I think this video just showed thats not true.

Soldato
Next time they need to do the Modus vs something like an X5 or Range Rover of the same age. Both are really common on the roads these days.

Soldato
What like a wall?
I'm sorry, I didn't see it hit a wall in that video?
Since the IIHS was in place when the Bel Air was around then I assume it was tested at the time and compared to it's contemporaries it probably fared decently at least.
My point being that crashing it into a modern car then trying to show from the result how much things have changed it complete horse apples, since while there is no doubt that things have improved, compared to other cars of the time I doubt it would have looked quite so unfavourable. For the video to be anything more than 'interesting' it would need to show two 50 year old cars colliding and then compare them to two modern cars colliding, since how it fared against a 2009 car is of no importance to anyone other than the very few that still drive them.

Caporegime
I'm sorry, I didn't see it hit a wall in that video?
Since the IIHS was in place when the Bel Air was around then I assume it was tested at the time and compared to it's contemporaries it probably fared decently at least.
My point being that crashing it into a modern car then trying to show from the result how much things have changed it complete horse apples, since while there is no doubt that things have improved, compared to other cars of the time I doubt it would have looked quite so unfavourable. For the video to be anything more than 'interesting' it would need to show two 50 year old cars colliding and then compare them to two modern cars colliding, since how it fared against a 2009 car is of no importance to anyone other than the very few that still drive them.

WHOOSH2.gif

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
this just shows that everything they bang on about in the ncap ratings is true.

Even a big old massive volvo, a car twice the size of the modus comes off worse.

Critics of the ncap ratings say they're poppy ****, and not relevant to real life because they assume you'll only collid with other equally sized cars

I think this video just showed thats not true.
Oh yeah, totally. Back in the day when there were no crumple zones it was whoever had the biggest toughest car who came out best. Big Merc vs Metro, the Metro got obliterated and the Merc had some scratches on it. Not like that at all these days, though I still wouldn't fancy meeting a 3 tonne Range Rover in a Megane.

The majority of crashes aren't like the above though and most of the time the old car will use the crumple zone on the new car.

Man of Honour
That modus got fairly thrown about tho even tho structually it remained intact... I guess whiplash tho is better than losing your legs, face and half your brain.

Back
Top Bottom