Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Just got off the phone with the RMA folks about the 2nd panel I've had that is faulty (completely dead this one). Phoned and emailed last Thursday, heard nothing so phoned this morning to be told my email had gone to junk and they didn't check that folder!

Associate
Just got off the phone with the RMA folks about the 2nd panel I've had that is faulty (completely dead this one). Phoned and emailed last Thursday, heard nothing so phoned this morning to be told my email had gone to junk and they didn't check that folder!

Living in Ireland, I'm terrified about this kind of stuff. That's why even though the monitor hasn't arrived yet, I'm still looking for a replacement because of the odds of getting a dodgy one and I can't stay monitorless forever :(

Associate
Living in Ireland, I'm terrified about this kind of stuff. That's why even though the monitor hasn't arrived yet, I'm still looking for a replacement because of the odds of getting a dodgy one and I can't stay monitorless forever :(

I actually said to the woman on the phone, so I just keep playing this game until I get one that works? and she said "yeah we just keep replacing them until one works" :)

I'm luck enough to have a few monitors lying around but it's still a royal in the backside to have to exchange them as it means moving other monitors, moving crap around on my desks, packing them up, waiting in for the delivery and repeating that in the hope that the next one is fine.

Associate
Touch wood, mine arrived today and no dead or dodgy pixels I can see yet, just on BWRGB test. Panel uniformity seems better than I expected. FOV so wide the colour is a little muted by viewing angle limitation at outside edges, but not noticeable in normal use. Need to calibrate it, but super happy worked out of the box with my 5m DP cable at max 144hz. Fired up Warzone to test and without taking any settings down getting ~130 fps and droppping to ~100 fps when parachuting in, my 1080TI still staying a nice cool 35 degrees. Need to enable Gsync too.
But more impressive is how much better mulit-window productivity is going to be, early days but happy so far.

As per earlier post, was worried about it being too big and was going to wall mount to set further back, but the stand is just the right size for me. Managed to fiddle and have it rest on a lip on my desk at front of stand and the rear of stand is against the wall, works well for me size wise and I also now have no wobble on the monitor.

EDIT - Computer went to sleep a couple of times and when waking monitor came on, so hopefully that means I have the latest firmware too.

Associate
Touch wood, mine arrived today and no dead or dodgy pixels I can see yet, just on BWRGB test. Panel uniformity seems better than I expected. FOV so wide the colour is a little muted by viewing angle limitation at outside edges, but not noticeable in normal use. Need to calibrate it, but super happy worked out of the box with my 5m DP cable at max 144hz. Fired up Warzone to test and without taking any settings down getting ~130 fps and droppping to ~100 fps when parachuting in, my 1080TI still staying a nice cool 35 degrees. Need to enable Gsync too.
But more impressive is how much better mulit-window productivity is going to be, early days but happy so far.

As per earlier post, was worried about it being too big and was going to wall mount to set further back, but the stand is just the right size for me. Managed to fiddle and have it rest on a lip on my desk at front of stand and the rear of stand is against the wall, works well for me size wise and I also now have no wobble on the monitor.

EDIT - Computer went to sleep a couple of times and when waking monitor came on, so hopefully that means I have the latest firmware too.

Overall great news! :) Makes me a bit more optimistic for mine.

Speaking of which, tracking says it arrived in Ireland during the afternoon! Will I have it by lunch time Thursday? Fingers crossed! :)

Associate
I have been googling this like mad and am struggling to find out if this monitor is supported via USB C or even HDMI on a hp elitebook 1030 x360 (work) and a MacBook Pro M1? Anyone here help?

Some people are saying the M1 Mac works with work arounds?

Soldato
Having read through this thread, it seems the fault/return rate is crazy. How can the company make any money at all if a significant proportion have issues that need an RMA? Surely just one RMA cycle knocks out most/all of the profit.

Is it just that the 98% of happy customers don't post on forums like this?

For the money this looks good - but I really don't want the hassle of multiple returns.

Soldato
Hardly any happy owners post on the forum, and very few notice the issues like colour not being uniform anyway if they were present.

Computer monitors are just a complete lottery if you are expecting a quality product. Expect to return a monitor at any price point, the chances of there being an issue like dead pixels or the panel not having a uniform colour is pretty much the same across the board. It doesn’t seem to matter if your spending £200 or £800.

Even really premium monitors have loads of issues, the reality is they are all cheap commodity panels dressed up as a premium product. They get the absolute minimum of QA before they are sent out the door. That much is evidenced by this forum alone.

Associate
Having read through this thread, it seems the fault/return rate is crazy. How can the company make any money at all if a significant proportion have issues that need an RMA? Surely just one RMA cycle knocks out most/all of the profit.

Is it just that the 98% of happy customers don't post on forums like this?

For the money this looks good - but I really don't want the hassle of multiple returns.

Well Im on my third panel and it seems to be OK but to be honest any confidence I had is gone at this point as a result of the dodgy panels (which happens) but the customer service was pretty woeful and that makes more of a difference for me. I guess its a trade off, its a ridiculous bargain at the price but if things go wrong its less great.

Associate
Hardly any happy owners post on the forum, and very few notice the issues like colour not being uniform anyway if they were present.

Computer monitors are just a complete lottery if you are expecting a quality product. Expect to return a monitor at any price point, the chances of there being an issue like dead pixels or the panel not having a uniform colour is pretty much the same across the board. It doesn’t seem to matter if your spending £200 or £800.

Even really premium monitors have loads of issues, the reality is they are all cheap commodity panels dressed up as a premium product. They get the absolute minimum of QA before they are sent out the door.

Id probably agree on this point, they are all pretty much a lottery. I guess what you are then paying at the higher(ish) end is warranty/support. Are those higher price panels worth the money if the warranty is that much better? Thats obviously a personal value proposition. A thread on the quality of the support/warranty on higher end panels would probably be quite enlightening.

Soldato
I've had mine 5 months or so now. I have a minor wake up issue which involves turning the monitor off & on. Happens about once every 10 times. Annoying but having had loads of monitors in the past that have had bad panels, dead pixels, damaged screen or frame etc I kept this.
For a wide ips panel there is minimal ips glow (best I've EVER seen tbh) and the colours are great as is the uniformity.
No issues with gaming @144htz via dp and freesync works great here. Not noticed any loss of full colour range at max 144htz. One thing to note is the panel isn't mega bright but in my experience its more than acceptable.
Considering how the price has dropped on this I'm guessing loads of returns and firmware defective panels will likely be shipped out as new.
I'm more than happy with my unit and I'm hoping it'll last a good 6 or more years.
I only last week aquired a Lenovo 28 inch 4k ips 60 htz panel. Again I got lucky as that unit is superb also for what I require from it. Previous to these units I'd say nearly all panels I've had in the last 20 years have had some kind of defects and I've had many swap outs until I got a good unit.

Associate
Just installed mine and my first impressions are good. Connection to my main PC via DP (VESA cable, not the one supplied) works fine. I ensured monitor was running at 144Hz, enabled GSync in the NVidia control panel and activated Freesync on the monitor - did I forget anything? Anyway experience playing WoW was smooth, but can't really tell much difference from the 60Hz monitor? Maybe becayse it's not really a game that is going to push boundaries

Then connected monitor to work laptop via HDMI, refresh rate is lower as I expected but it seems to work fine as well. Laptop card seems to be unable to go beyond 2560x1440p so I guess I'll live with that.

Color is uniform, can't spot any dead/stuck pixels or abnormal lighting. Might actually keep it unless I'm missing another test that I should be doing...

Associate
Not sure if this will be useful to anyone else, but as it took me ages to work out thought I'd share. If you want to use PBP and make use of the whole screen, you either need to use 1720x1440 @ exactly 60Hz, or create a custom resolution at any refresh rate with the Timing Standard set to CVT Reduced Blank (nVidia control panel) or CVT RB (Intel control panel).

Associate
Hey folks can I ask what colour / brightness / contrast ye all have set now? Mine seems too greenish to me.. not good at this calibrating malarky.

Associate
I bought this for £330 but am returning it, even though it is my first 144hz and first ultrawide.

Biggest issue I have is the whites on it are too yellow, no matter what colour/gamma settings I try I cannot anywhere match the whites on the Acer 1440p IPS next to it.

Second issue is the lag, I tried CSGO with it but feel it is laggy/sluggish, as I said this is my first 144hz so it's certainly better than my 75Hz monitor but not that much of a difference. Many reviews about this monitor complain about its high lag so I guess I can't be imagining it. The sluggish performance reminds me of a 32" 4k 60Hz IPS monitor I bought and returned over a year ago (that was a monitor aimed for colour accurate photo editing so not a surprise as lag was a low priority, I think the lag on that was genuine 50ms).

I'm also not certain about ultrawide in general, maybe curved would suit me more than flat, and also a 38" rather than 34" (but not willing to pay £1,400+ that it would cost).

EDIT: Just to add, mine had no dead pixels and no flickering issue (think it had more recent firmware which addressed this problem).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom