Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Associate
Iiyama didn't use USB for FW update, but they use special cable+device, so all monitors had to be send back to iiyama when they changed the FW. The USB os probably just HUB.

Associate
I plan on getting the 3080, I wanted a 1440p ultra wide to prepare for it. I’m half tempted to just go for it. The good thing about the iiyama is that it has usb for firmware updates if they are able to resolve it completely.
The firmware must be installed by special device by them it's not user upgradable.
I'm also waiting to get a 3080,and still cannot decide about monitor.
Iiyama 34 UW,Electriq 34 UW or a Dell/LG 27".
the ElectriQ is more appealing vs Iiyama because it's only £350 and have same specs as Iiyama..and we all know Iiyama is not that good in terms of quality control and being issue free,so paying £80 extra for same panel and same specs, doesn't really feel right.on the other hand,a 27" Dell will be at least £330,and just £20 gets you Electriq 34" UW..

Associate
The firmware must be installed by special device by them it's not user upgradable.
I'm also waiting to get a 3080,and still cannot decide about monitor.
Iiyama 34 UW,Electriq 34 UW or a Dell/LG 27".
the ElectriQ is more appealing vs Iiyama because it's only £350 and have same specs as Iiyama..and we all know Iiyama is not that good in terms of quality control and being issue free,so paying £80 extra for same panel and same specs, doesn't really feel right.on the other hand,a 27" Dell will be at least £330,and just £20 gets you Electriq 34" UW..

I need more reviews/info on the electriQ before considering it. Looks relatively new to the lineup and not much info out there about it.

Associate
I have just had my monitor replaced by Repairtech by going through the Iiyama uk helpdesk, I have checked it has Freesync premium and HDR 400 on startup screen and Freesync Premium on the miscellaneous screen when enabled, so its the latest firmware, I can confirm that I am still having the flickering problem, it does appear better but to be honest I could probably put up with the occasional flicker but the clicking noise from the monitor when it does it is more worrying, I`ve tried various setups freesync on or off gsync on or off from Nvidia CP, it even does it with adaptive sync off and any refresh rate set to 100 or 144Hz in windows display adaptor settings, worse at 144Hz though. Im going to try a new vesa certified cable just incase its something to do with that, not hopeful though.

My clicking noise and random white banding across the screen was caused by the included display cable, I plugged in my old cable from my old monitor and it has worked fine since. Further to this I did get in contact with Iiyama support, their support has been brilliant, they are sending me out a replacement "8K display port cable".

In regards to the flickering with G-sync - I personally stand by the updated firmware having sorted the issue in game (although I've only seen this in videos - mine came with the updated firmware), yes you get some flickering in the menu with the new update - but who cares if the main game is working fine? My old AOC monitor which wasn't "technically" G-sync compatible but worked with G-sync, did exactly the same thing. I think for the price it's a cracking monitor.

Associate
I think for the price it's a cracking monitor.
but now there are other option like Gigabyte (£400) and ElectriQ (£360) and more..all have same panel and same specs,iiyama is still £430 it's not a cracking price anymore.(considering all the quality control issues,there is no reason to pay £80 more for it)

Associate
but now there are other option like Gigabyte (£400) and ElectriQ (£360) and more..all have same panel and same specs,iiyama is still £430 it's not a cracking price anymore.(considering all the quality control issues,there is no reason to pay £80 more for it)

Yeah true - although when I was doing research doesn't the gigabyte suffer with the same issues mentioned in this thread? I can't comment on the ElectriQ as I wasn't aware of it's existence! I've had iiyama products monitors years back and the CS was always top notch.

Associate
Yeah true - although when I was doing research doesn't the gigabyte suffer with the same issues mentioned in this thread? I can't comment on the ElectriQ as I wasn't aware of it's existence! I've had iiyama products monitors years back and the CS was always top notch.
regarding iiyama QC, in the past things were different, now they make budget monitors, if you search this forum there are many qc problems reported by users (not just flickering problem).I'm not comparing iiyama to more premium monitors but even in the budget range,others are offering literally identical products for less money with better/same quality control,so iiyama's price no longer sounds like a good deal.

iiyama haven't resolved the flickering problem completely,maybe reduced it,but there is still flickering.many people are saying they still have flickering here and there even after firmware update.I think you will also notice them if you test more games.
if they completely resolve the flickering,then the more expensive price will be justified,but if all these budget uw monitors are going to flicker, then why pay more for iiyama? they all have same panel and iiyama has no other advantage (maybe even worse qc)

Associate
Does the electriQ actually use the same panel though? I heard it was a QLED panel and not the same as the iiyama/gigabyte/Mi etc
I think it's either same panel with quantum dot colour tech (basically superior colour gamut),or a better panel, can't be worse than these budget samsung va panels anyway.
the few user reviews I came across been very promising.I'm trying to find more information about it myself.

this is a photo of it a user posted :

electri-Q-QLED.jpg

Associate
BTW I found yesterday, that in Remnant flickering is visible even in gameplay when you use windowed mode. In FullScreen it's ok (unless some loading screens).
Anyway thing which I don't like more on this display is the resolution. The 1440p is so power-hungry and quality is not much better then with 2560x1080.

Last edited:
Associate
I have one of these monitors and it keeps flicking to a black screen for a second or so and then back to the picture again. Not very often, but more often than enough to be annoying. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Does the supplied DP cable support 1.4? I know my old cable doesn't so used the one that came in the box.

The really odd thing is that for 12 hours after initial setup it never missed a beat. I'm guessing it's a fault, but thought I'd ask on the off chance it was a config thing or similiar and could be easily remedied.

Any ideas?

After a quick chat with Iiyama 'tech support' it's being collected today and refunded.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought one of these monitors this week, came with new firmware installed but I'm still getting flickering at 144hz in every configuration (FreeSync/GSync on/off). Awaiting delivery of a new DP1.4 cable today to check that aspect before i get onto the Iiyama support line. Anyone else been having flickering issues post-new firmware? I'm not talking the odd bit of flickering here or there either, it's more like once every 2 seconds on the windows log-in page and every 10-20 seconds on the desktop, games, other apps. Absolutely fine at 100Hz. I'm running a GTX 1060 6GB. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and GPU firmware update too.

[TLDR: Got a new monitor with new firmware, still had flickering, fixed it, if you are in the same situation check 3 these things:
1) Get new firmware for the monitor.
2) If it is 10 series or earlier get new firmware for you GPU.
3) Buy a new DP1.4 spec cable, or more precisely, an HBR3 cable according to a quick bit of research (I think just searching for DP1.4 cable capable of 4K @144hz will get you what you want).]

I thought I should follow up my post in case it helps someone else. I believe I have fixed my flickering issue with the steps below whilst keeping FreeSync and GSync (although see note 2 below) on all the time with my GTX 1060 6GB.

I received my monitor earlier this week with the latest firmware already installed. When I plugged it in it with the provided cables it defaulted to 1080p vertical and 60hz (from memory, it may not have been 1080p but it was definitely 60hz). I upped this to 1440p and 144hz and immediately got loads of flickering combined with a static noise (I think from the speakers? But could have been coming from anywhere). I tried all sorts of Freesync, Gsync and other OSD options with no fix, but there was never an issue at 60hz or 100hz and I even had it running absolutely fine at a custom resolution with 120hz refresh rate, then 130hz, then 134hz – but no more. I also did the following:
1) Updated the firmware of my GPU with Nvidia’s tool for DP1.3/DP1.4 capability (it looks like this needs to be done for all 10 series and Pascal cards or earlier): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
2) Updated windows, I’m running Windows 10 Version 1903 OS build 18362.1082.
3) Uninstalled my Graphics Card drivers through device manager > display adapter > GTX 1060 > uninstall device, then reinstalled latest drivers from Nvidia (456.71 for me).

This didn’t solve the issue, so I ordered a new cable – specifically supporting DP 1.4 (or HBR3, whatever, hopefully you know what I mean). This said it was “8K ready”, “4K @ 144hz ready” and capable of 32.4Gbps bandwidth, weirdly this doesn’t seem to match any of the specs on wiki but nonetheless…

Now it’s fine @ 1440p and 144hz.

I’m no electrical engineer so I’m not going to point the finger, but it seems suspicious that a DP1.4 cable was the last step in resolving the issue and previously I couldn’t get the refresh rate past 134hz at 1440p – isn’t this about the theoretical limit for DP1.2 bandwidth (or more accurately I believe HBR2?) on an ultrawide 1440p resolution assuming a bit of compression in the signal? (Wikipedia says 17.28 Gbit/s my calcs say 134hz is 19.91 Gbit/s.)

It feels like there is some quality issue with the cable provided. Otherwise it makes no sense to me why a manufacturer would provide a DP1.2 cable that isn’t capable, but then why do they provide HDMI ports/cables which aren’t either?

Some observations and questions to other owners having issues:
1) Is your card a 10 series or earlier? Make sure you also install the Nvidia firmware upgrade.
2) With the manufacturer provided cable I had the option of Freesync in the OSD and GSync in the Nvidia control panel all the time (as far as I am aware), with my new cable, I could enable FreeSync in the OSD but the option to turn on GSync was gone at first, then appeared again when I changed something else in the Nvidia control panel (I just changed the power setting from “max power” to “optimal”, I don’t think it’s related). I’ve never had to use Nvidia control panel much but having delved into it now it seems glitchy/laggy as anything. Nonetheless, I can confirm GSync compatibility is also on now but seems to come and go, if it is ever properly certified hopefully that’ll be resolved.
3) When I first used my new cable I had the option in the OSD for DP1.2 or DP1.4 mode but around the same time GSync popped up again in the Nvidia control panel it became greyed out. A similar thing happened with the original cable, It was there at first, then never came back… odd. (Oh well I’m still at 1440p 144hz).
4) I went back to the old cable just to test it again, and straight away I was able to recreate the flickering at anything above 134hz.
5) Another strange note, at 134hz on the old cable and at 134hz on the new cable I get really intense flickering when I use the OSD (But not at 144hz when I use the new cable). I’m going to keep it at 144hz and It’s the OSD so I don’t care, but it’s weird.
6) I obviously can’t test pushing games at >144fps with a GTX1060 at this res to see if there is any issue there, but I also saw no flickering in menus at >200fps and playing GRID 2, RimWorld, Total War: Troy and Overwatch for an hour or so has been fine with 0 issues.

It was kind of interesting investigating this, hopefully this long post is useful to someone who may be able to provide a more scientifically accurate answer sometime or come up with other more exact ideas for fixes, but this worked for me. Now I’m going to go play some games and hope this holds true forever.

Associate
Is anybody else having issues with the screen becoming very blurry at 144Hz but not att 100Hz.
See the comparison below, I have only changed the refresh rate and taken two pictures with my phone. It is less visible in games but still there adding fatigue.

Overdrive is set to 0. If I move the window with text around the text shifts between red and blue tinted along vertical lines on the display.

fuzzy_2_144hz_small.png

sharp_2_100hz_small.png

Associate
Is anybody else having issues with the screen becoming very blurry at 144Hz but not att 100Hz.
See the comparison below, I have only changed the refresh rate and taken two pictures with my phone. It is less visible in games but still there adding fatigue.

Overdrive is set to 0. If I move the window with text around the text shifts between red and blue tinted along vertical lines on the display.

Answering my own post here with new information.
The problem with the blurry image is not because of the screen, but because of limitations in my temporary (waiting for 3080) graphics card. The GTX970 only supports DisplayPort 1.2 and that does not have enough bandwidth to drive 3440x1440 in 144Hz. This made the display run with limited colorspace (YCbCr422 instead of RGB) to keep the refresh rate high and this caused the blurry text.

Tested with a GTX1070 and all those problems went away.

Associate
Answering my own post here with new information.
The problem with the blurry image is not because of the screen, but because of limitations in my temporary (waiting for 3080) graphics card. The GTX970 only supports DisplayPort 1.2 and that does not have enough bandwidth to drive 3440x1440 in 144Hz. This made the display run with limited colorspace (YCbCr422 instead of RGB) to keep the refresh rate high and this caused the blurry text.

Tested with a GTX1070 and all those problems went away.

Out of interest, how did you work out what colourspace you were running with?

Associate
Did anyone else try the DP 1.4 solution? I'm really torn between this monitor, the IPS version of it and LG 32GK850G (only issue is the 16:9 aspect ratio since I'm currently using a 29 inch ultrawide).

Associate
@lowers93
Thank you kindly for all the info/feedback you've provided. I've tested my 1080TI but it already had the latest firmware installed.
Another person however discovered he could upgrade his card ^^. Sadly it didn't make a difference for him.

Back
Top Bottom