Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Associate
Noticed one thing though, when I'm scrolling a web page the text dims and becomes unreadable. Seems to happen on sites that have darker backgrounds with coloured text. Any idea what's causing it?
Just what you get with VA panels, sounds like the fark background "ghosts" as you scroll, dimming the white text. No panel type is perfect, they all have some weakness.

Associate
Stop playing Feral Druid :p ;)
What have you got your refresh rate set to for the monitor?

I had something similar and it was down to the fact the monitor was set to 60hz (or Windows/Mac I can't remember).

I've had this monitor for 2+ months now and last week, built a new machine with a GeForce 1660, so playing games at 1440p now and I've not had any issues that have been mentioned in this thread at all. I was dubious on this purchase before hand due to the comments etc in this thread, but have been amazed by the quality of it :)

Associate
Here's a short video I took to show the scrolling problem I have:

https://imgur.com/4lL3Yn2

Is there anything I can do to minimise this or is that it? Just seems to be on sites with coloured text/black backgrounds.

Sorry but that is just how bad this monitor is.
Black on white works ok, but white on black will do this. It will actually get better with overdrive on, but other colors will be a lot worse when scrolling.

Associate
Hi all.

When selecting 144hz are you able to set the colour mode to RGB / Full?

I can do this on 100hz and 60hz, but 144hz switches me to YCbCr422 / Limited. I'm unable to change this.

Thanks

Associate
Hi all.

I can do this on 100hz and 60hz, but 144hz switches me to YCbCr422 / Limited. I'm unable to change this.

Thanks

If you have a graphics card that only support DisplayPort 1.2 this is the effect. GTX970 and earlier, I do not know about AMD.
The issue is that dp1.2 does not have enough bandwidth for full color in 144Hz.

Associate
Hi all.

Thanks
If you are using a Nvidia card this is a know bug with their Windows 10 drivers, see the latest release notes.

Associate
Awesome thanks for the replies lads.

@boosfuk , yep I have a GTX 1080 (mobile).
@noll1 , I figured as much! Noticed the monitor has a setting to switch to 1.4.
Turned that on but started getting a no signal error. I lowered the res to 1080p, switched to 1.4 and finally an image. I've since increased it back up to 3440x1440 144hz, RGB, full and it works.. kinda...
I'm now getting the odd artifact / lines and the screen sporadically blanks out. I *don't think* it's the cables... Tried 2 DP > DP cables rated for 8k, and a couple of usb-c > DP cables.

Nothing is ever simple :(

EDIT:
As an update to the above. I noticed I had HDR on, disabled this and figured I'd turn on Freesync, lo and behold a black screen.
Rebooted windows only to hit a black screen again.
Now the thing that gets me with this monitor is that you can't change any options unless there's a video signal... I've found going into the BIOS on boot pushes a signal through and allows you to get into the menu. From here I disabled Freesync, but noticed the monitor was back down to DP 1.2, changed this back to 1.4 and now everything is spot on.

Last edited:
Associate
Got one of these wanting to try ultrawide coming from a LG 27GL850B. The size and aspect ratio are fantastic but unfortunately the motion handling is pretty awful in comparison and the VRR flickering issue is present on my unit too so it'll be going back. Think I will be avoiding VA panels completely, just a pity the 34" version of the LG costs the best part of a grand

Associate
Mine arrived today, new firmware. I am getting flickering with the included cable running TW:WH2. The black smearing is noticable at times as well.

Motion surprisingly looks worse than my 60Hz non-VRR Dell U2713HM from 2013 ...

Real shame. I like the form factor but currently leaning towards a return

Associate
I had the flickering issue with two cables, did not even try the one it came with. In fairness, I didn’t check whether it had the latest firmware.

Main issue for me was the smearing, found it really bad in FPS games

Back
Top Bottom