Ikea Markus, JÄRVFJÄLLET or worth spending more for secretlabs?

Associate
yes, it's another "what chair should i get? post.
I live fairly near an Ikea store but haven't been in there because of Covid. Might pop in soon to have at the Ikea chairs, but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on them vs something a bit more expensive like the Secretlabs chairs (or similar) but not sure if the secretlabs look a bit gamery and gimmicky for a 38 year old. lol.
My racing style chair (a thunderx3 whatever the hell that is, which certainly does look gimmicky and gamery) is now literally falling apart after 2 years and want something comfortable but I also want something that won't break the bank.

Associate
I can only give feedback on the Markus. I have had one for 8 years, and this year, working from home for the last 5 months, the cushion finally gave up (could feel the wooden seatpan). I simply removed the fabric and old cushion and bought another cushion and replaced it. The condition of the seat is great and the fabric still has some more years to give. It is a fairly comfortable seat however the armrests are not adjustable, so I have had to remove my desk drawer to allow me to get near enough, whilst maintaining the correct overall height.

Associate
I can only give feedback on the Markus. I have had one for 8 years, and this year, working from home for the last 5 months, the cushion finally gave up (could feel the wooden seatpan). I simply removed the fabric and old cushion and bought another cushion and replaced it. The condition of the seat is great and the fabric still has some more years to give. It is a fairly comfortable seat however the armrests are not adjustable, so I have had to remove my desk drawer to allow me to get near enough, whilst maintaining the correct overall height.
Do IKEA not help with the warranty there? From memory it's like 10 years of cover

Associate
OP
8 years for that price is fantastic. gonna pop in next weekend and have a look, but not sure how Ikea is for people sitting in the chairs etc at the moment.
just wish there was a way to test other chairs like the secretlabs or noble ones as I hate the thought of buying a chair without even sitting in it first.
I know some places have a policy where you can return them , but that would be a massive pain in the bum to do with something that size.

Associate
8 years for that price is fantastic. gonna pop in next weekend and have a look, but not sure how Ikea is for people sitting in the chairs etc at the moment.
just wish there was a way to test other chairs like the secretlabs or noble ones as I hate the thought of buying a chair without even sitting in it first.
I know some places have a policy where you can return them , but that would be a massive pain in the bum to do with something that size.

My Markus is seven years old, and working from home now for 6 months has made me buy a new chair, got a Aeron on order. I removed the non-adjustable armrests a while back, the seat cushion has been uncomfortable for a while and was so uncomfortable that i ordered a memory foam seat cushion to put on top as i was basically sitting on the wood.

Oh, and the gas cylinder is going. I have to have it at its highest height to delay the time i slowly sink. At its highest setting, it is a while before i start sinking, at an intermediate setting i just start dropping down in height in bumpy increments. The 12 year 24/7 warranty on the Herman Miller was appealing and i sat in one at John Lewis for 30 minutes and it was comfortable.

Associate
Two problems:

The original purchase receipt is required as proof of purchase.

Guarantee does not cover normal wear and tear.

I find the headrest annoying now I'm working from home in a way i never did before as my chair at the office doesn't have one and I miss just leaning back and having a stretch with an arched back, impossible on the Markus. The non-adjustable arms are the real kicker. I'll be selling mine on once i have my new chair.

Soldato
I'm currently trying out a MARKUS and is it just me, or is the tension for reclining way too much? I've adjusted it as loose as it will go but I still need to actively keep the chair forced at maximum recline, rather than the chair holding it.

Does this loosen up over time?

Commissario
Does this loosen up over time?
I can't answer that as I kept mine locked. Like many, I took the arms off my Markus but I deliberately kept the receipt in case I ever needed to claim on the warranty.

Their customer service is great, when I replaced it with a Noble Hero, I couldn't find the screws I took out when I removed the arms so I just filled in a parts request on their website and within a week or so, four new bolts turned up in the post.

I sold the Markus locally to a friend for fifty quid. He's happy, I'm happy.

Soldato
I can't answer that as I kept mine locked. Like many, I took the arms off my Markus but I deliberately kept the receipt in case I ever needed to claim on the warranty.

Their customer service is great, when I replaced it with a Noble Hero, I couldn't find the screws I took out when I removed the arms so I just filled in a parts request on their website and within a week or so, four new bolts turned up in the post.

I sold the Markus locally to a friend for fifty quid. He's happy, I'm happy.

Fair. Trying to keep it free recline as I like to put my feet up on a footrest (although my last chair had a synchro tilt mechanism instead of the knee tilt like the Markus does, so I think I need a taller footoorest now! As for the armrests, being only 165cm I think I fit perfectly into the chair. Feet on floor, head midway on headrest, and the armrests seem to be at the perfect height for me.

Hope it does loosen up over time as it'd be a bit of an annoyance to have to unlock, push back, then lock it whenever I want to just lounge.

I did try out a DXRacer and had it for a couple of years a few years ago but eventually it just started killing my lower back. I'm one of those weird people who prefer far less aggressive jabbing into my lumbar it seems. Removing the cushion doesn't work either though because the completely flat back means that I just slump down into the chair. Need something to keep me in place but without trying to force my spine anywhere.

Maybe I'd have been happiest with a Kashmir if it didn't get discontinued, lol.

Associate
Hope it does loosen up over time as it'd be a bit of an annoyance to have to unlock, push back, then lock it whenever I want to just lounge.
These points sum up office chair vs gaming chair. Office chairs you have to adjust them into a reclining position and they don't seem to be made to be comfortable to recline in. Executive chairs seem great to recline in but lack the adjustments for sitting forward at a desk comfortably long term.

I did try out a DXRacer and had it for a couple of years a few years ago but eventually it just started killing my lower back. I'm one of those weird people who prefer far less aggressive jabbing into my lumbar it seems. Removing the cushion doesn't work either though because the completely flat back means that I just slump down into the chair. Need something to keep me in place but without trying to force my spine anywhere.
This is the trouble with gaming chairs. The cushions are too much and don't stay where you want them and the flat back is no good for your spine.

The noble hero, secretlabs titan or boulies master do have adjustable lumbar support so may be the best of both worlds.

Soldato
These points sum up office chair vs gaming chair. Office chairs you have to adjust them into a reclining position and they don't seem to be made to be comfortable to recline in. Executive chairs seem great to recline in but lack the adjustments for sitting forward at a desk comfortably long term.

This is the trouble with gaming chairs. The cushions are too much and don't stay where you want them and the flat back is no good for your spine.

The noble hero, secretlabs titan or boulies master do have adjustable lumbar support so may be the best of both worlds.

They do, but they're built for giants, not manlets like me! Frustrating as hell. I have my doubts that the lumbar support in the HERO will be anywhere near my lumbar because of that.

Soldato
Don't forget it comes with a cushion as well which I didn't think I would use but I really like it.

Based on my prior experience with a DXRacer, those cushions did nothing for me especially over the long term, sadly.

If Noble would just update the ICON with a lumbar support like the HERO I'd probably give it a solid try.

Associate
I've had an Ikea Markus for a few years now. I quickly regretted the purchase as the seat padding is pretty thin. It feels like sitting on a board. I bought an extra padded cushion, but it's still uncomfortable for any extended use.

Associate
I'd just buy a 24 hour rated operator chair. These are designed for commercial use in call centres and the like and will be much stronger and ergonomically better than a domestic use chair.

Soldato
My cushion is starting to go on the Markus also, any chance you can link me to the replacement cushion you bought?

Back
Top Bottom