illegal to cycle on the pavement in london?

Associate
growse said:
Given this epidemic of law-breaking cyclists who should, frankly, learn to cycle on the road properly or a cycle lane if it's there (cycling on roads for 6+ years now, never had an accident), or I'm going to walk from A to B by clambering through people's front gardens because I consider it dangerous to walk on the pavement.

Good stuff! Watch out for dogs and nettles though! :p

Soldato
I had a police officer have a go at me for cycling on the road when there was a cycle path for going down it (not up). I had to bite my tongue so hard to not point that out as he was very angry for some reason - it wasn't at me but he had a short fuse. He then got a call and had to run off.

You can not win though, cycle on the pavement the CSO have a go at you, cycle on the road you get run over - I was about 3cm from being hit from a lorry last week on a quiet road. The cycle paths have people walking out into them randomly. :(

Caporegime
bam0 said:
It's not always illegal to cycle on the pavements, round where I live all the pavements are signposted such that bicycles are permitted on them. There are no markings for a cycle lane next to the pavement, cycles are explicitly permitted on the pavement.
Look for this sign;
unsegregatedcycle.gif

No mate, thats a warning sign for what can happen when you ride your bike on the pavement. Its a birds eye view ;)

Associate
OP
ok cycled to the park to play tennis oooh what an adventure! I was at the crossroads - lights on the four junctions and i was at the front next to the traffic light and as it went green i pulled off when i got to the other side a micra overtook me and cut me off (he was right next to the curb) so i had to go into the curb or up on the path! Yeh other than that it was a good experience i cycled all the way there and back after tennis. I don't like stopping at those crossroads though so i get off and walk it across the lights! :s

thanks for all the replies, i think i'll go on the road on quiet bits and on the pavement when there is no one on it. When i cycle for a few more weeks and improve i'll get a hybrid bike and just use it on the road :)

(sry if it doesnt make sense..tired from cycling)

Suspended
A cyclist should never position himself between a car and a turn...just common sense (never approach/overtake to the left during slow moving traffic) as you don't know if the driver will turn left without signalling.

I only filter along the left in stationary traffic.

i'll get a hybrid bike and just use it on the road

Get a proper roadbike.

Last edited:
Soldato
was a £500 fine i thought?

but anyway i ride on the pavement i suppose as long as you ride responsibly and dont endanger pedestrians then they cant complain cos the roads are pretty dangerous.

i ride on a combination of road/pavement/park and always give pedestrians priority and dont intimidate them.

be responsible then you'll be ok.

how long did it take you to learn? im trying to teach my girlfriend at the moment. and congrats on learning, it is a good skill to have

daven

Associate
therandom said:
I'm pretty sure it's your responsibility to check your wing mirror before turning ;)

The idea that a bike should overtake on the right is just plain silly!

Big load of balls

Bikes must observe the same rules as other road users, and should NOT overtake on the left. Although drivers should be aware when overtaking a bike if your going to turn left as you'd almost certainly get the blame anyway :(

Suspended
A free/cheap road test would be a good idea, perhaps if you're doing daily commuting/long distance, but not if you need to pay insurance/road tax/any other charges. Basic bike maintence/safety checks part of the course, as someone posted above some do ride on unsafe bikes (if it were a car/motorbike MOT) This could be part of school curriculum.

Don't agree with cameras though, as I believe kids should be allowed on the pavement.

Pushbikes don't have a engine, so except from road tax...and using the idea that we "wear" roads therefore should pay road tax is absurd.

Soldato
Mr Nice said:
Er yes...

On the radio this morning Livingstone was talking about a Cycle registration scheme in London a la DVLA.

So not only would cyclists need a V5(?) but any riding on pavements would be caught my cameras and be subject to fines.

Good idea?
OK so how would this be put into pace with the tens of million bycyles in the UK alone ?

Also how would chidlren get their V5's, pay fines?

In my honest opinion if you are a young child (under 14/16) then it should be ok for you to ride on the Pavement, but anyone over 16 at least should be on the road and should never ever ride on the pavement, Now I understand the road is a scary place for Cyclists, everyone should take responibility for them selfs and over road users at all times.

Suspended
ja3h said:
yes i got a full suspension bike! >.<

i go to the park to play tennis and go on grass sometimes! :p

ho ho you don't need full suspension for that...I ride a full rigid MTB as well and that's fine for country path and canal paths. Throw that 1 ton jobbie in the skip, buy a road bike/flat bar road bike for on-road (or tourer if doing longer rides & require panniers, then get a rigid MTB if only doing light offroading or hardtail MTB if doing proper off-roading...full suspension £800+ if riding downhill)

I like to overtake FS MTB's on-road, struggling along at 10mph, puffing and wheezing...while I'm doing 25mph :D

Associate
ja3h said:
yes i got a full suspension bike! >.<

i go to the park to play tennis and go on grass sometimes! :p

FS bikes are for nutters (me:p) who like to risk death flying over extremely rough terrain at silly speeds. And so everyone knows your talking over £600 before you should even consider a full susser!

I use my bike to ride to work during the weekdays, this involves a small stint through Milton keynes on the redroutes (purpose made for bikes/pedestrians) and a canal track then through a small town to work. Obviously MK is different to most other cities as it has a seperate bike network to the main roads, and its a great system! The canal is very narrow and its important to make sure you know if anyone is coming or not. I notice lots of people dont look where their going and nearly hit me even when ive pulled over :rolleyes: then when i get to the village for work I head on the main roads as there are no cyclepaths available.

But then my bike is a full suser and I got it for riding at the weekends down hilss and things :D so thats what I care about most. Though people still frown upon us when we ride by them on the paths and bridleways. Really annoys me as everyone is there to enjoy the countryside so why point fingers at mountain bikers for digging up tracks and spoiling it all???

Back
Top Bottom