I’m building a Polytunnel.

Soldato
I think its overengineered with the paving and blocks most people will just plonk it on top of soil and leave it at that which also brings me on to the shallowness of the compost most people would simply rotovate and plant directly into the soil root veg will need a deeper soil and it'll likely dry out quickly but good on you for making the effort.

Most polytunnels don't even have doors its not so much the heat but the shelter they provide its nigh on impossible to grow beans or peas here as high winds and summer storms will rip them to shreads and cucurbits are equally fragile I'd love something like that here. Jealous.

Caporegime
OP
I think its overengineered with the paving and blocks most people will just plonk it on top of soil and leave it at that which also brings me on to the shallowness of the compost most people would simply rotovate and plant directly into the soil root veg will need a deeper soil and it'll likely dry out quickly but good on you for making the effort.

Hmmmm.....

I have planted directly into the soil...The bed floors are open and the roots can go as deep as they want.

You do know the grass that I covered with recycled brown paper will die leaving the rich soil underneath?

Also as the grass dies it will also release nutrients into the soil.

Exactly the same concept as my raised beds with bricks outside. Although only three bricks high the roots of any plant can go as deep as they need to.

My potatoes are loving the raised beds outside.

In fact everything is doing just fine at the moment.

Soldato
Will it need heating once we’re in the worst of winter?
It's not practical to heat anything other than very small greenhouses and even then only if you were growing some sort of exotic that you want to protect. Polytunnels feel warm even in the winter because of the reduced air circulation. A trick people use is to put large water barrels in the polytunnel to act as thermal inertia, it slows down the loss of temperature over night. I think you're hardy greens will keep on growing in in the winter for most of the UK. First tunnels have some excellent month by month advice cards for tunnel users. Here

Soldato
A cheap and effective method of retaining heat with water is using old plastic milk bottles filled with water, lots of them. The other half did this and it worked but looked a bit pants. She's thinking of putting the black water butt inside instead as I got her an IBC for her water source.

Associate
You may find the lettuce isn’t what you expected but don’t let that put you off, I would suggest you may be a little late in the year to have it in the poly tunnel, it tends to go bitter when it gets to much heat but still looks just fine to the naked eye, I try to finish my lettuce crop in the greenhouse sort of mid may and then move to outside (still start the plants in pots in the polytunnel just don’t plant them inside).

Caporegime
OP
You may find the lettuce isn’t what you expected but don’t let that put you off, I would suggest you may be a little late in the year to have it in the poly tunnel, it tends to go bitter when it gets to much heat but still looks just fine to the naked eye, I try to finish my lettuce crop in the greenhouse sort of mid may and then move to outside (still start the plants in pots in the polytunnel just don’t plant them inside).

ill be pulling up a few tonight so will report on taste :D

I’ve been hammering the spinach and it’s tasty sweet…had it raw in home made wraps and burgers…the radish is tasty…

Caporegime
OP
Any fruit planted ? Was imagining grapes hanging from the roof :D

Will you be getting any sort of temperature control, automatic vents ?

I’m researching into a grapevine and looking to train it to grow across the crop bars…Strawberries are growing at the back left…would like a nectarine tree and maybe a lime tree to have with a bottle of SOL….

At the mo the fan and the front and back doors are keeping things at around 80F

Humidity today is around 48%

Associate
80f that’s good, lettuce will be fine in that, I expected you would say 95-100 range.

I hit 90f in the green house on Saturday and that’s in part shade.

Back
Top Bottom