1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iMac decision

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Freds dad, 21 Feb 2013.

1. Freds dad

Associate

Hi all I'm new to the forum so please be gentle to me.

I'm looking at buying a 27" 2.9ghz iMac but have to decide on a couple of things and hope you can help.
    The first one is the price. I can buy one from the Apple store for £1408.80 as I will get a student discount or pay £1499.00 from John Lewis but they offer a 2 year guarantee. So do I save £90 or get the 2 year guarantee.

The next one is about the SuperDrive. Is it worth buying or are there better non Apple products that will do the job and are less than £65.

And finally Apples One to One service. I am tempted by it for £79 but has anyone bought it and if so what are your views on it.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

2. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

As you are a student, get it online from apple and get 3 years apple care for free and HE discount.

A £20 external DVD writer will do the same thing, apple one is nice because its metal construction, slot loading and need only 1 USB port.

The 1 upgrade I would do is get the 1Tb Fusion drive. Save money from the super drive for that. Don't get RAM from Apple, get these yourself.

3. Freds dad

Associate

Thanks for the reply buy I can't see anywhere online where I get 3 years apple care for free. I did consider the fusion drive but does it really add that much to the mac?

Any views on the one to one service?

4. kitkat9933

Mobster

You get it for free if you order it over the Phone with student discount, assuming you are a student.

5. uniQ

Mobster

Add one to basket, go to configure, scroll down to Service & Support and click 'Learn more'

[​IMG]

6. Freds dad

Associate

Thanks

Any views on the one to one service?

7. uniQ

Mobster

Never used it so no personal experience. Ask yourself the following then you'll probably know whether it's something you might find worthwhile or not.

How computer literate are you?
    Is it your first Mac?
    Do you regularly have to ask people for help?
    Do you have an Apple store nearby & Would you enjoy visiting it regularly for group workshops about how to use apps?

8. startrek2

Wise Guy

Student as in college you dont get extra AppleCare .... So John Lewis

Student as in uni you do you either.... use the email address from the uni.... or supply a pic of your uni card thru email ... That's then buy from apple

9. Freds dad

Associate

Thanks everyone for the input. I bought my mac on Monday from the Trafford Centre store and now need to learn how to make the most of it.
    I will no doubt be on here asking "silly" questions so please be nice to me : )

10. hyper_piper45

Mobster

Just to let you know you don't get the free 3 year warranty as you bought it in store.

11. Freds dad

Associate

I didn't get it free but they did me a discount so I only paid £34 for it. I could have ordered online but the wait was 2 to 3 weeks and it also meant waiting in at home on delivery day.
    I'm please with my purchase now can anyone recommend an alternative to the SuperDrive?

12. startrek2

Wise Guy

I'd love a copy of your receipt I've bought well I'd hate to add it up but suffice they have never offered me such a discount on apple care like you have ?