iMac failing please help!

Soldato
My parents iMac seems to be failing, and as i'm not exactly very close i can't so easily help out!

You can login to some of the user accounts, but not all, and on one account it used to give loads of spotlight errors, but now wont even login.

This is a 20inch alu iMac from 2007 (maybe 2008), and is out of warranty!

I am thinking that the best approach is to just buy a new HDD, stick that in, install Leopard, and see if everything is ok. If it is, then restore everything from the Timemachine backup.

Are there any other things to try though? (other than repairing permissions!).

Associate
Try creating a new user... and see if errors persist.

If they don't then the errors lie with the current accounts.

Repair permissons!

Run the Apple Hardware Test {insert install disc (restart mac while holding the D key? with the ORIGINAL install disk, not a later retail disk)} or TechTool (if you bought applecare)

Check the SMART status with Disk Utility

One of the many functions Disk Utility handles is checking the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drives. Hereis how:

* Launch Disk Utility. Itis in Applications>Utilities.
* Select the physical description of your hard drive from the column on the left. You can look for the name of your hard drive, then click on the hard drive icon thatis above it.
* Click the First Aid tab.
* Look for S.M.A.R.T. Status at the bottom of the window. If it says Verified, your hard drive is okay. If it says anything else, back up your important data, and get a new hard drive installed right away.

Back
Top Bottom