1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Image size alteration

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Bony Maloney, 27 Jan 2006.

1. Bony Maloney

Sgarrista

I would like to change an image size from 1600 x 1200 to 1680 x 1050. Is this possible, if so how please.
    Thanks Paul :)

2. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

What graphics editor do you have?

If you have none, post a link here and we'll sort it for you.

3. Bony Maloney

Sgarrista

I have Adobe Photoshop CS2 .

4. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

Do you need to keep the scaling right? If so, Go to Image | Canvas Size, set the adjustments for pixels, deselect Relative, and set the height to 1050. From there you can crop the image properly so it'll fit in the 1680 width.

If you don't need to keep the scaling, go to Image | Image Size, deselect Constrain Proportions, and set the sizes accordingly.

edit: sorry - had the first part backwards.

edit edit: is that right? No. Even easier - if you need the scaling proper. Create a new image with the proper dimensions. Copy your old image into the new. Select Edit | Transform | Scale, hold down SHIFT and drag a corner until your image fits proper (use the move tool if you want to recenter), press ENTER and you should be golden.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2006
  5. richard1973

Gangster

if increasing size of picture though you will loose quality. though as its a slight dimension increase you shouldnt see any effect.

6. Bony Maloney

Sgarrista

Yes I want to keep the scaling. Once I have altered the image width to 1680, the crop option on the drop down menu list is greyed out. Also how do I know I have my hight exactly at 1050??

7. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

You might not have seen this post:

Here's what happened using that method:

Uncropped original size (25% of your size)
    [​IMG]

Cropped and resized (25% again)
    [​IMG]

8. Bony Maloney

Sgarrista

I am helping you with your CS2 teaching skills ;) How do I copy the old image from my desktop into CS2?
    I appreciate your help BTW, thanks.

9. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

Should just be able to open the image in CS2, Select | All, CTRL-C, open new document, CTRL-V.

edit: Oh, if it's your background image, Right-click your desktop, Properties, Destop Tab, Browse, the BMP there should be your background. Drag and drop that to your desktop, then open it in PS.