Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
I am pretty physically fit at Hill walking but find cycling really hard work, keep thinking about a new bike as mine is 16 kg and pretty awful to ride, bearing in mind I live at the start of camel trail and also route 3 was looking at an electric one, But still light 12 kg, that's as far as I get thinking as I am not one to drop 2.5k on a bike usually
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-e/
A little about having the odd non sweaty lazy ride but also very long ones,

Soldato
My friend has that exact same bike. While he is happy with the actual bike I think he wouldn't go with ribble again due to the terrible customer service had to send the bike back twice once due to huge chips in the paint and another time with the battery failing after a few weeks. Just worth keeping in mind

if you're chasing ultimate lightness get a fixed gear. I think my bike is about 8KG

Soldato
Have bike prices gone nuts? I'm fully out of the loop but was planning on upgrading later this year.. I'm sure the giant bikes have doubled in price in about 4 years,

Soldato
My first thought: how utterly ridiculous.

Now I'm looking at reviews...

How noisy are they?

On the highest setting, it's managable. On the lower settings (there's 4), it's a slight whirr and not very noticeable.

Surely the noise would be irritating?

What you really need is a water cooled balaclava.

That would be ideal, however sadly i just googled it and it's not real :(

The reason i bought them is that when i run in my dinner break i get massively sweaty and it's going to be worse as we get further into Summer. I get out the shower and still drip and the only thing that seems to resolve it is airflow. Even ending the shower on freezing cold doesn't seem to cool my stupid body down!

Wearing this for around 5 minutes post shower whilst i'm making my dinner should be ideal. After that i'll be back at my desk with an actual tower fan!

Maybe this would also be good to double up the cooling!

https://www.jmldirect.com/mission-cooling-neck-gaiter-cooling-face-mask-scarf-bandana

Soldato
It just sounds faster, which is basically the same thing anyway when it comes to sports bikes :D

I also bought and fitted a little screen (dash) cam too!

CBR400rr281.jpg

ooh, I borked the res when I re-sized it :D

First thing I got for my Babyblade was an inline kph -> mph convertor :p

Soldato
My friend has that exact same bike. While he is happy with the actual bike I think he wouldn't go with ribble again due to the terrible customer service had to send the bike back twice once due to huge chips in the paint and another time with the battery failing after a few weeks. Just worth keeping in mind

if you're chasing ultimate lightness get a fixed gear. I think my bike is about 8KG

my bike is on heavy side due to power meter and aero wheels and its 8kg.

Ribble bikes got better over years. had one for 6 or 7 years with no problem.
cant comment on battery and paint..

Have bike prices gone nuts? I'm fully out of the loop but was planning on upgrading later this year.. I'm sure the giant bikes have doubled in price in about 4 years,

dont think bike prices doubled in 4 years..maybe longer and all depends on the spec.

lighter and better gears = more wonga...

with brexit and covid, some manufactures decided to stop sales to UK for the time being, or just increased prices by around £300 for a bike - avg cost of extra VAT , handling fees etc.

shimano struggles with making parts...

since december some parts prices doubled ..cassettes...chains...even tyres..
its all joke now...

Soldato
my bike is on heavy side due to power meter and aero wheels and its 8kg.

Ribble bikes got better over years. had one for 6 or 7 years with no problem.
cant comment on battery and paint..
Yeah but my bike was only £600 I bet yours is way fancier and more expensive! :p (very jealous though) Was tempted to see if I could do a ride-to-work scheme and get a roadbike but I know deep down I'll probably end up with another fixed gear (Tell me the BMC Track Machine 02 isn't the most beautiful bike ever. Just need to work out how to get a front brake onto it)

He loves his bike now it's all working correctly and the paint issue was resolved but the process wasn't exactly painless as I would want something to be when spending that sort of money

fez

fez

Caporegime
They said two things sir, please clean your chain occasionally and please don’t work on it yourself

Well those are conflicting pieces of advice!

Thats quite a nice bike to be neglecting however!

Working on bikes isn't hard and I find it quite therapeutic. I did however spend about 5-6 hours last weekend taking apart my rear suspension, servicing the shock and cleaning all the bearings etc so maybe I'm the wrong person to tell you to do "a bit" of maintenance.

Cleaning your chain and drivetrain can be a 20 minutes job however. Just get one of the little tools with a built in reservoir and brushes that you run your chain through, some chain degreaser and a long bristled brush and you are good to go. Drivetrains are expensive and maintenance will extend the life of it probably 2-3 fold. Make sure you use the right lube for the conditions as well.

Soldato
Like a lot of things. Covid meant people wanted to avoid public transport and also to get fit while stuck at home. Plus availability went down due to reduced production. This time last year you could not find a second hand bike, even the sort of thing you'd normally get for a tenner out of someone's shed.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Actually I had planned to relocate the PC off the desk once IKEA opened and I could get the Alex drawers. Draws were built today and cables arrive tomorrow.

As mentioned, new Alex draw unit. Originally planned to house my PC on it but I didn't like all the cables trailing along the wall to it, so relocated it under my desk and stuck the printer on there.

Apparently this is an updated Alex draw that only came out a week or so ago.

Office is so small! Need to get some stuff on the wall in this area.

DSCF9601.jpg

Soldato
Motors forum got me spending. Car washing gear.

1. Muc-off Brush
2. Korean Towels
3. Bilt Hamber Snowfoam
4. PA Snowfoam Lance
5. Bucket Scratch Shield
6. Lambs Wool Mitt

Another delivery of stuff coming later...

rhIc0jz.jpeg

And a board game. Ironically the last one I played was early last year called... Pandemic. Fingers crossed I don't cause a zombie apocalypse. Totally factually correct and a major coincidence!

8VxKaFY.jpeg

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato

Ah OK will bear this in mind, sending back would be a pain this is one of the videos thats making me look into them

Back
Top Bottom