Import Duty from Jersey to UK?

Soldato
Hi all,

In light of the recent Brexit import duty situation, I was hoping if someone could advise on the import duty of goods from a Jersey based vendor to myself as a private individual in the UK.

I am looking at purchasing some goods (£700) from Jersey. Would I be liable for VAT & Import Duty?

Associate
"Jersey (together with the other Crown Dependencies) has also entered into a customs union with the UK which covers all trade in goods which eliminates any customs duty on imports and exports within the union, and adopts a common customs tariff in relations with third countries, to ensure trade between the UK and Jersey is unaffected by Brexit"

Caporegime
VAT will be paid at point of export, if it's anything like Guernsey - I got stung selling stuff on the members market and accurately declaring its value!

According to Jersey Post the VAT can be pre-paid but the recipient will pay if it isn't.

Pre-paying VAT is the quickest and cheapest option to get items to the UK. Alternatively, you can send your item without pre-paying and the recipient will need to pay VAT to claim the item. Expect delays on any item without VAT pre-paid when passing through customs. Additionally, be aware that the recipient of the item will be asked to pay the applicable 20% VAT along with an additional £8 Royal Mail collection charge at the point of delivery.

Back
Top Bottom