*** Important: No discussion about Korean or Import monitors ***

Man of Honour
After numerous problems over the last few months, the OcUK moderating team have decided that no talk or discussion about Korean or other import monitors will be allowed on the OcUK forums

This decision wasn't taken lightly, and while we are always keen to promote open discussion, there have been too many cases where such threads result in competitor and pricing discussion, and so do not meet the rules of these forums.

Some threads have been allowed in the past, but because of this problem will no longer be permitted. Please do not post threads about Korean models from the likes of Yamkasi, Catleap, Achieva, QNIX etc or other import monitors as they will be removed.

Offenders trying to bypass these rules will be in trouble, you've been warned :)

I appreciate that this may not be a popular decision to some, but trust that everyone can understand the reasons for making this change and respect the rules of the forum.

Associate
Hmm, I too understand why (and I'll respect the new rule), but I do wish this hadn't been deemed necessary. In my view, there are always very good and valid reasons why people should think and think again before getting one of these online imports, as there are inherent advantages that come from purchasing a locally-available monitor from a retailer like OCUK.

Question: Does this ONLY apply to the 'Korean' ones? There is a limited number of 'non-Korean' ones out there too, e.g., Overlord Computer's Tempest range, and Monoprice's ZERO-G and CrystalPro screens (both American rather than Korean).

Man of Honour
OP
we're going to have to cut out all discussion of those similar models I'm afraid, as they always lead to pricing discussion and places like eBay being brought up. there's not actually very frequent discussion of them thankfully so i dont see it being a massive change

Man of Honour
OP
It's the import models which are generally available from eBay but not from main retailers. So models from the likes of Yamakasi, achieva etc as mentioned in the first post

Man of Honour
OP
Is that supposed to be aimed at me? Re-read the first post. I'm posting on behalf of the mod team here. Plus insults directed at a moderator are never wise if you wish to keep an account here

Associate
Is that supposed to be aimed at me?

Wow chill man, it was a compliment not an insult.

Banning a whole topic is quite extreme but im guessing the amount of resource needed to constantly monitor/police those types of threads is also rather high so it makes sense when they break the TOS so regularly. Has to be done.

No need to pop at me, i wasnt trolling. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Wow chill man, it was a compliment not an insult.

Banning a whole topic is quite extreme but im guessing the amount of resource needed to constantly monitor/police those types of threads is also rather high so it makes sense when they break the TOS so regularly. Has to be done.

No need to pop at me, i wasnt trolling. :)

no worries, you'll note i didn't immediately suspend you as i thought it maybe just didnt come across as intended. fine to call me a baddass, not fine to call me an ass ;)

to be fair, we don't really have many threads about those particular models on here, but when they do crop up, they always end up being about price and competitor talk sneaks in, so the mod team and the shop decided it was better to just disallow them to avoid messing around.

Caporegime
Why don't OcUK choose to become a distributor of these models rather than outright ban all discussion of them? They must be decent monitors to attract discussion in the first place?

Permabanned
Last edited:
Associate
Why don't OcUK choose to become a distributor of these models rather than outright ban all discussion of them? They must be decent monitors to attract discussion in the first place?

I can think of two reasons right away:

(a) No UK warranty support means that OCUK would have to warranty them all in-house
(b) Import duty and VAT which means they'd be no cheaper than current equivalent budget monitors anyway.

Man of Honour

I'm pretty sure I remember gibbo saying he is/was looking into it.

Soldato
Sorry but i find this slightly pathetic.

Cant the mods just do their jobs and remove any competitor talk?

And anyway how is discussing how to get a hold of a koreon monitor competitor talk?

For example the new 4K ones cannot be bought in the UK, OCUK don't and wont sell them so what other way is there to find where to get them?

if OCUK sold a monitor that can be used as a comparison then i understand but they don't.

Just seems a bit silly to me.

Soldato
Sorry but i find this slightly pathetic.

Cant the mods just do their jobs and remove any competitor talk?

And anyway how is discussing how to get a hold of a koreon monitor competitor talk?

For example the new 4K ones cannot be bought in the UK, OCUK don't and wont sell them so what other way is there to find where to get them?

if OCUK sold a monitor that can be used as a comparison then i understand but they don't.

Just seems a bit silly to me.

if we were talking about cheese then you would have a point

OCUK do sell 2560x1440 monitors, so discussing how to get hold of these monitors is competitor talk

at the end of the day (it gets dark) this is a companies forum, run by the company for their own benefit, they can impose whatever rules they like

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom