*** Important: No discussion about Korean or Import monitors ***

Soldato
if we were talking about cheese then you would have a point

OCUK do sell 2560x1440 monitors, so discussing how to get hold of these monitors is competitor talk

at the end of the day (it gets dark) this is a companies forum, run by the company for their own benefit, they can impose whatever rules they like

I was on about koreon 4K monitors

Man of Honour
OP
Rules are rules I'm afraid. They've only been put in place because those discussions always turn to problems and believe it or not the mods do have other things to do with their lives too :)

We will use our discretion of course so the 4k discussion is ok at the moment as long as it doesn't get in to dodgy territory or talking about competitors. This rule is more about the huge range of 27 - 30" models widely available

Associate
Would a (near-)exhaustive list of monitor brands and models on this specific thread perhaps help people identify which topics to avoid? I can think of several more monitors than have been mentioned already, but perhaps listing them only would give them more publicity?

Posted from Overclockers.co.uk App for Android

Soldato
Where is the line drawn? As this is effectively banning the talk of any products that OcUK doesn't sell on the assumption that people don't look around anyway.

Are we not allowed to mention products that OcUK usually sells but don't currently have in stock on the basis that any recommendation to purchase such product would mean ordering from somewhere other than here?

Associate
I think the main problem is that these Korean model topics/discussions end up in competitor talk significantly more frequently than other topics. For example, I've myself brought up Philips, HP and LG monitors (and HDTVs) numerous times, most of which OCUK doesn't seem to stock at all, but I don't remember those topics going south that easily, if at all. (*)

So it's easier to simply disallow the discussion of these particular trouble models, which basically also weeds out 80% of the resulting competitor talk.

(*):
Might be that I'm not that good of a "salesman", so nobody has been interested enough to ask more. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Where is the line drawn? As this is effectively banning the talk of any products that OcUK doesn't sell on the assumption that people don't look around anyway.

Are we not allowed to mention products that OcUK usually sells but don't currently have in stock on the basis that any recommendation to purchase such product would mean ordering from somewhere other than here?

it's just the Korean branded monitors as mentioned in this thread that aren't allowed. if people start talking about other screens OcUK dont sell, that leads to regular competitor or pricing talk, those will end up being banned too. we havent reached that stage though, and i'd hope the members use their common sense to avoid that being necessary

Caporegime
IMHO more severe penalties for breaching competitor rules would be a better option. It's unfortunate not to be able to discuss these fantastic monitors just because OcUK can't compete with them on price.

The real reason this has happened, of course, is that OcUK are worried about losing sales due to people going off to hunt for the same panel for half the price. Finding out suppliers and competitors is the easy part, so really it's a ban on product discussion not competitor discussion. Interesting precedent and I wonder what will come next.

Associate
Not wanting to discuss a banned topic but does this also apply to Samsung monitors? They're a major brand but I notice OcUK have stopped selling most of their range.

Man of Honour
OP
No the rule doesn't apply to Samsung monitors. As long as people don't start breaking the rules all the time when discussing them then it should remain that way :)

Soldato
Seems an odd precedent to set. Why ban the ones mentioned above when some use Samsung screens? Are we allowed to talk about PLS and IPS?

Did Gibbo look into it in the end? To be honest, with the problems with DGM and HAzro, it doesn't leave a lot of space for discussion does it.

Man of Honour
OP
It's only a ban on Korean model discussion which is a very small and niche part of the market. You can still talk about other manufacturers within the confines of the overall forum rules no worries :)

Associate
hmm?

Imposing bans just highlights the discussion of these items further, personally haven't heard of them.
But kicking up all this fuss is now got me thinking about these monitors, kinda what you were trying to avoid in the first place right?

OCUK is my favourite place to purchase computer electronics, but it isn't the only place i purchase electronics, not sure what you have to worry about but this just blimps your otherwise excellent reputation in my personal opinion.

Associate
That's contradictory. The fact you haven't heard from them earlier is in itself the proof that the ban has indeed been successful in decreasing the visibility of the Korean models. Although, that wasn't the purpose of the ban, but more of a side-effect. Before the ban, the threads quite often spiraled into discussion of these models, and with the discussion also came the competitor links, which in turn needed mod intervention. And the links came drastically more often than with other products. After they banned the discussion of the Koren models, the competitor links have since become quite random.

Man of Honour
OP
That's contradictory. The fact you haven't heard from them earlier is in itself the proof that the ban has indeed been successful in decreasing the visibility of the Korean models. Although, that wasn't the purpose of the ban, but more of a side-effect. Before the ban, the threads quite often spiraled into discussion of these models, and with the discussion also came the competitor links, which in turn needed mod intervention. And the links came drastically more often than with other products. After they banned the discussion of the Koren models, the competitor links have since become quite random.

spot on :)

Back
Top Bottom