1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

In a few mins you will have a chance to grab a 6800 or 3060Ti

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Gibbo, 3 Dec 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noisecrime

Associate

Good points well written and I suspect its a combination of both in different places. I'm still surprised to see at least one store with what I feel are respectable prices ( for now ), but they rarely get stock ( like most places ) and it seems in my experience very hard to actually buy from them. I'm wondering just how much longer they stick with those prices when its clear you can charge more. It will be interesting to monitor a couple of places to see what happens to the prices, and see if some are just ahead of the curve or if there really is gouging going on.

Also thinking about it, what will happen a couple of years down the line. I think its clear current prices are inflated for various reasons and demand is high, so will the current gen of gpu's be a glut on the second hand market in a few years, probably holding their value very badly compared to previous gens?

2. Legionaire68

Hitman

Well I cracked and bought a Sapphire Rx 6800 Pulse after telling myself that I wouldn't pay over Msrp and wait until later in the year to see if the prices settled down. :D

I reckon its not to bad for a more premium model after Sapphire hiked up their Msrps in Europe.

The other thing is that I will probably get a better price for my Rtx 2080 on the bay so it should balance out the extra for the Rx 6800.

No more struggling on 45 fps in Assassins Creed!

3. danlightbulb

Mobster

Nice post, totally agree with what youre saying. And I think you're right about all the factors underpinning this. Ultimately its easy to say "well its 'only' another £100". Most people earn enough that that is not really a problem, and most people here are adults with jobs, not kids with pocket money.

But where does it stop? Some people will say it will naturally stop at the point the market will tolerate, and that is true. However, because some people can pay more, this obviously prices out alot of others. In terms of margin, a retailer has to balance its reputation and long term morals with current pressures and desires for more returns. Its easy to say also that GPUs are not an essential product and therefore it doesn't matter so much if people can't afford them then just don't buy them. But there is a bigger question of equal opportunity in this as well, because computing availability is one of the things that defines quality of life and poverty I believe. Its not good for products such as computing equipment (generally) to only be available to the elite. Take mining as an example of this. The more miners earn, the more capital they have, the more GPUs they can buy up to earn more crypto, the more that dries up supplies and raises prices for others who then won't have that opportunity to do the same. When the barriers to entry are too high, that is not good for society generally.

For example, if OCUK were taking advantage of inflated GPU prices right now from people who do have the cash, but at the same time they were helping to supply charities and schools with old gear, then you could say its a bit of a Robin Hood scenario going on, which is ok. People wouldn't want to pay more, but you could at least take heart that the company was giving something back. This whole social value thing is going to become a bigger part of companies in the future, its already gaining traction in utilities.

Its easy to say Im overthinking it and it just is what it is, fair enough, but it is possible to make parallels from what's happening here to other types of commodity. Ultimately, no matter what the product, its not good for it to be available only to the elite.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2021
  4. ik9000

Wise Guy

try being on a gtx460

5. pompeygreg

Associate

Looks like you've missed the step where you have to print your graphics card?

6. bigjimmyauk

Soldato

Chances of getting one is still slim after some dumb **** keeps posting gibbos updates on Facebook groups

7. fs123

Mobster

Mate all the main sites have the info before Gibbo puts the cards on. Many desperate people justify the purchase in their minds so they sell out quickly. Once more retailers start getting stock then things might settle down but that could be a couple of months away.

8. chanjy

Mobster

They were on the site available to purchase for hours yesterday even with the links being available everywhere, stop moaning about facebook/discord groups ffs

9. MCFC_ANDY

Hitman

im surprised how long they lasted,i know fair amount of stock but very surprised. but not biting at those prices:)

10. Minstadave

Caporegime

They weren't amazingly priced so stock wasn't wiped immediately. Pricing was pretty much scalper pricing but atleast they were available and from a legit source.

11. atomixers

Gangster

At least with a retailer you're not buying second-hand and getting no warranty. Still insane markup but it is what it is, and I'd rather it go to retailers than to scalpers

12. varkanoid

Capodecina

There are still 3070's and 6900XT for sale on the website now so not sure what you mean other than a specific model which you didnt mention anyway ?

Ignoring pricing for a moment be more specific as your statement is false.

13. FoxEye

Caporegime

Yeah, scalpers *remove* value in that you lose consumer rights, right to return, etc. In some cases lose the manufacturer warranty (100% if the scalper doesn't give you the original receipt, etc).

If prices were the same, you'd buy from the retailer every single time. Not because you like the price, but because at least you have consumer rights! And are protected from defects, faulty cards, etc.

Scalpers just make everything worse in every conceivable way.

14. SkillTim

Gangster

Don't know where you're coming from.
    Gibbo told us first, then it was leaked.
    A purchase is justified if you have the money and the need to have the item.
    Prices will stay high for a while before retailers reduce the price. Stock will have to hang around for at least two weeks before any reduction.

My two cents on the whole thing: When it comes to mining, having a slightly overpriced card is better than nothing.

15. noisecrime

Associate

Thanks and you're right about the 'only' part, hence emphasizing that it was personal price point for me, in fact as its for my business its not even really 'my' money, but the companies, though that doesn't mean I don't like to try and get good value. But as you go on to say the problem is for those who don't have that option. Though gpu inflation has been happening for almost a decade now (IMHO) and this last year has just escalated it to silly levels, that i'm honestly not even sure we'll return from, not unless demand dramatically drops of next gen and manufactures over-produce.

Ultimately this has no limit, i've known people who've invested more than the cost of a new car into their PC/simulator setups, more money than sense, or more money than they can spend. However they are a tiny segment of the overall market, so realistically there is going to be a limit, and think currently that will be dictated by miners. When miners can no longer easily turn a profit from a new gpu purchase that will be a hard limit. Sadly for most of us enthusiasts or just simple gamers that limit likely massively exceeds what we are comfortable with. At this point I would not be surprised to see prices stabilize at the point they are now for several months and that is going to price way too many people out and even prevent new comers from even getting a new PC. The fact nvidia are re-introducing last gen cards at apparently close to next gen prices makes a mockery of everything!

Indeed, but sadly I don't see there is anything that can be or will be done at this point, maybe next year will be better.

16. Jimbo

Soldato

Glad I bought my Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT NITRO+ OC yesterday at £859.99 because tonight its up to £899.99 and that would have pushed me out. Cant wait to get it now.

17. michty_me

Mobster

Nice! What you upgrading from?

18. fs123

Mobster

I actually cancelled mine and also put my 5700XT up on the auction site. It's already got a £440 bid and will probably go for over £500. Reverting back to my old R9 390 for now.

19. Nexus18

Capodecina

I had my vega 56 on ebay (for £300 as they were going for £350+) but pulled it to sell for a lesser amount here. Ultimately for the sake of £80/100, it wasn't worth the potential hassle of an ebay scammer wanting to claim money back down the line. Sadly ebay will always side with the buyer even if you have put down no returns :(

Can't complain though, bought the vega 56 in Dec 2018 for £250 and sold it for £225 in the end and put that towards a £650 3080 fe so essentially the 3080 only cost me £406 (sold cod on for £19)

20. Jimbo

Soldato

Im going from a Power Color 5700XT Red Devil its still a cracking card, but I want something thats a bit more capable at 4K as I game on a 55" LG CX Oled. The 5700XT is great at 1440p alongside my Ryzen 5600X mind, solid. So that card will be going in my second PC wich has a B450 msi tomahawk max and a Ryzen 3600 in it so im going to have two cracking systems. And out of the 2nd pc comes a Sapphire RX570 8gig Nitro+ card still a great card but i may sell on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.