In todays "Everything must have an all female version..."

Soldato
As it's a family thing, will Ocean's 8 team up in the future with Ocean's 13 to form Ocean's eleventybillion to rob a whole country expendables style?

Oceans 8, then two follow ups 9 and 10 depending how it does at the box office (can't say I'm expecting this to do too well another Ghostbusters perhaps)

Caporegime
It's called equality.

How many movies are there with all male casts?

Reservoir Dogs
Expendables
The Thing
Glengarry Glen Ross
Usual Suspects
Snatch
Hangover

I haven't included movies where putting woman in wouldn't be historically accurate - Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Lawrence of Arabia etc

Expand that to just movies with all male leads and you are talking about most movies from the past 50 years! Think HEAT, Goodfellas, JAWS, Se7en, Predator, most Kubrick movies etc etc.

Caporegime
The reason is not obvious. Is it something to do with not upsetting feminists?
How many all female films can you even name that could potentially be rehashed with an all male cast? Bonus points if you can come up with one that doesn't already bear a striking resemblance to a pre-existing all male film, or is not itself a rehash of the type under consideration.

I'm going to guess you'll come up with nothing at all.

Caporegime
And you think that's a fault of women and not the movie studios?

Wonder Woman is about the only movie I can remember with a female director and female lead for many many years.

Caporegime
I don't think they have much choice at the moment...

Even the strong female leads in recent movies such as Furiosa in Mad Max were written by male directors and bankrolled by studios controlled by men.

Caporegime
Ocean's 8 is written, directed and produced by men. There is a female screenwriter involved and a female producer, but neither is significant enough to have a wikipedia page. To describe this opus as "women copying men" is wilfully ignorant.

Soldato
The fact of turning it a feminist power trip disengages a lot of people, who would probably have seen it, instantly.

Would I be tempted to see another oceans film? Possibly. Do I want to see a film which will be a straw(wo)man for trumpeting feminist issues? No, I want to be entertained.

Similar issues afflicted Ghostbusters, just release a ******* film for Christ sake.

Caporegime
The fact of turning it a feminist power trip disengages a lot of people, who would probably have seen it, instantly.

Would I be tempted to see another oceans film? Possibly. Do I want to see a film which will be a straw(wo)man for trumpeting feminist issues? No, I want to be entertained.

Similar issues afflicted Ghostbusters, just release a ******* film for Christ sake.

The thing is - I've seen the Ghostbusters remake and at no point do I recall any mention of feminist issues in the movie.

It wasn't the best movie ever, but it did make me laugh a bit - And I always thought Ghostbusters was quite boring and not very funny anyway, whereas most people think it's some sort of all time classic.

Back
Top Bottom