In todays "Everything must have an all female version..."

Soldato
The fact of turning it a feminist power trip disengages a lot of people, who would probably have seen it, instantly.

Would I be tempted to see another oceans film? Possibly. Do I want to see a film which will be a straw(wo)man for trumpeting feminist issues? No, I want to be entertained.

Similar issues afflicted Ghostbusters, just release a ******* film for Christ sake.

But that requires creative and original thinking :eek:

On the other hand... take a film which did well... cut out male leads... replace with known female actors... easy money and minimal use of the brain muscles.

Soldato
The thing is - I've seen the Ghostbusters remake and at no point do I recall any mention of feminist issues in the movie.

It wasn't the best movie ever, but it did make me laugh a bit - And I always thought Ghostbusters was quite boring and not very funny anyway, whereas most people think it's some sort of all time classic.

Which is my point. It might well be a decent/good film but it did pretty poorly as it was portrayed as a huge “win” for feminism and a lot of people (perhaps wrongly) perceived this as meaning the film would just a feminist soapbox and so gave it a miss.

Just release a film, it doesn’t matter who the cast is, and let it stand up on its merits and if they are after feminist cookie points then making a genuinely good film will attract more interest than creating an echo chamber of approval in advance.

Caporegime
Which is my point. It might well be a decent/good film but it did pretty poorly as it was portrayed as a huge “win” for feminism and a lot of people (perhaps wrongly) perceived this as meaning the film would just a feminist soapbox and so gave it a miss.

Just release a film, it doesn’t matter who the cast is, and let it stand up on its merits and if they are after feminist cookie points then making a genuinely good film will attract more interest than creating an echo chamber of approval in advance.
Who is portraying it in that way? Cynical marketing folk? There's your problem.

I read a piece the other day about Pitch Perfect being one of the few films out there with an almost entirely female cast, which is a fair point. There was no furore over that.

Soldato
Who is portraying it in that way? Cynical marketing folk? There's your problem.

I read a piece the other day about Pitch Perfect being one of the few films out there with an almost entirely female cast, which is a fair point. There was no furore over that.

Marketing people and the Guardian et al?

Funnily enough I’ve watched pitch perfect (my wife wanted to) and whilst not particularly my thing it was watchable. Kind of backs up my point again as if it had been advance sold as some great victory I would have gave it a miss.

Soldato
I have a list of potential options.

Indiana Jones
The good, the bad, and the ugly. (Would have to change ugly as that wouldn't be an acceptable term to call a woman)
A Clockwork Orange
The Fugitive
Rambo

Caporegime
My guess would be -

All female cast of an original film = No issue.

All female cast in a remake of a hugely popular film which starred an all male cast = Issue.

That issue being "is the film solely being made 'female only' for a very specific reason needed by the storyline" or it simply to show "women can do it too"?

From my own point it's not something I'd see in the cinema but I'd rent it if the film is good, regardless of casting.

That about sums it up tbh... I don't see an issue with the "women can do it too" thing or trying to promote female empowerment but it works so much better in an original movie rather than flipping around existing ones for the sake of it. I mean the Alien movies were originally going to have a male lead but the studio decided to switch to having a female instead, that was fine, it worked really really well.

Having said that I suspect a female remake of say Magic Mike or Brokeback Mountain would do a lot better than female ghostbusters etc..

PayDay Lover
Associate
Can't say I am interested. Mainly because I don't have much interest in another Ocean's film, but yeah, the all female cast does make me roll my eyes. It just seems so try-hard and unnecessary. Like others said, female cast or led film, cool, no problem, but copying another film which is bad enough, but then swapping all male leads for females just feels like clumsily pushing an agenda. I felt the same with the tv shows 'Van Helsing' - or Vanessa Helsing to be precise, and Wyonna Earp. While to be fair they are descendants and therefore totally legit to go the female route, it just seemed so 'ugh!' when both decided to take that route.
Meanwhile films like Pitch Perfect are great (ok, admittedly not my cup of tea but not due to being female orientated), the New Star Wars having a female lead - all good, Spy, that Heat film with Bulllock and Mel perfectly fine (again not really my kind of film though), Resident Evil series (regardless of opinion on whether they are crap or not, no one had a problem with the lead), Charlies Angels of course.
That's just the top of my head, so there are films where female leads don't cause an eye roll from the so called sexist men, but things like Ghostbusters and Oceans 8 just screams try hard. Maybe having so many all male cast movies is an issue, but rather than clumsily try to balance it out by swinging the other way, why not make films with a mix? Afterall, isn't that ultimately what the aim is? Films with all male (which isn't just copying something else, such as a male Charlies Angels), films with all female (which are not just a copy of a male version), films with a male lead, films with a female lead....a natural balance rather than a forced one

Associate
New TV show Troy: Fall of a City on BBC and Netflix. Did it fall because the wheels were stolen from the Trojan horse?
1513871456287.jpg

Soldato
My question is, why 8?

Is it because the producers still want to appear male dominant so they make the female version smaller than the male?
Or is it actually that the producers don't think it will do very well, so they are not willing to pay the money to employ 11 female stars?
Or maybe they think by using a different number, idiots won't equate it so much to the original?

Back
Top Bottom