1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing the size of a partition?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Kerplunk, 26 Feb 2006.

1. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

Is there a quick and easy way of increasing the size of a partition? I have a 5gb partition for my Windows installation but I would prefer 10gb, as i have run out of room for drivers and such

Is there an option that will allow me to utilise this kind of facility?

2. Xee

Wise Guy

Copy everything to a backup partition or hard drive etc, delete the 5gb partition and format a new 10gb one. Copy everything back :p

3. zetec452

Sgarrista

That won't work in windows. :p

You'll need a program like partion magic to increase the size of your hard disk.

4. Kerplunk

Sgarrista

That costs?

5. WolfR1der

Hitman

Powerquest now seems to be owned by Symantec, so it's now Symantec Partition Magic and you're looking at £40+ in the UK. Norton also seem to do a version.

It's also risky, just last week i had a resize operation fail and Nuke my files partition. Luckily i was able to recover it easily, but partition magic sees it as a "bad" partition and I can't do any more operations on it.

To be fair that's the first time it ever failed on me and it was my own fault as it tried to boot to my removeable HDD instead of doing the resize and I had to restart my computer.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2006
  6. Xee

Wise Guy

Ops did'nt see that it was the actual OS partition. Still you're better off backing up your files formating and installing again ;)

7. vince3

Gangster

From time to time free versions of partition software appears on magazine cover CDs.
    Paragon Partition Manager has turned up twice in the past few months - September 2005 Computer Shopper. You might be able to get a back issue. Current cover disk contents are usually shown on the mag. websites.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2006