Insight on overclocking stability

Associate
Hello everyone!
In about a month I'm going to be building a new pc, one that i plan on overclocking. I've never done overclocking before, so i want to minimize the possibility of messing things up. I've read a lot on the subject and found that a series of stress tests should be ran in order to ensure overclocked system works alright. Based on the articles read I put together a plan I intend to use to measure stability, and I'd like to know if those with more knowledge also find this an optimal way to do it.
The system will consist of:
MOBO: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
CPU: Ryzen 1600 - stock cooler, overclocking target is 3.8 ghz
RAM: 2x8Gb 3200Mhz Corsair(cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) - target is 3-3.2 Ghz, whichever i get to with Ryzen
The system will mostly be used for gaming, audio editing and some programming.
To test stability, it seems to me that a combination of Prime95 and Aida64 tests would be sufficient. After setting the desired overclocking, i plan to:
1. Shorter test sequence on Prime95 for CPU, heat and memory stability (basicly what's written here: http://overclocking.guide/stability-testing-with-prime-95/ )
2. Aida64 test for 24+ hours (I'm not sure yet what settings this should be ran with)
Do you think this would be enough to measure my stability? Not enough? Or maybe overkill?
Thanks in advance for you replies!

Associate
I'd recommend putting Realbench on that list, it's good cause it uses real world apps to stress/bench your system.

Soldato
I've never really used things like prime.
Sounds like gaming will be the most stressful activity you'll do, so I'd use 3d mark and for a more general test, realbench.

If it's stable with those then it's stable enough in my book.

I wouldn't bother with a 24hr test either, waste of time and electricity. Once it's stable running the above, finally Just run realbench on a loop for a couple of hours. If it doesn't crash or get too hot, you're good.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies!
Leaving prime out of this sounds nice, i was kind of afraid it would make my cpu generate too much heat for the stock cooler to handle.
How long would you run 3dmark and realbench in the first place? (To determine general stability before going on to a longer, final test)

Soldato
I run Real Bench and x264 v2 for 8 and 12~ hours, respectively. I use my PC for gaming, internet browsing and the odd bit of video editing and photoshop stuff. The aforementioned tests ensure perfect stability for that. If, however, you're going to do more intense things, like folding@home or crypto currency mining; then you need to run some more intense tests like Linpak or OCCT.

Back
Top Bottom