Installing Flight Simulator bricked my PC

Associate
I've been trying to install the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and each time, it would get about half way through and the screen would go black and not respond to input but the fans were still all spinnning. Each time I was able to power cycle the machine and it booted up.

Its just happened again except now it won't boot up and just enters the same state - nothing on the screen, no error beeps, fans spinning but nothing happening.

*** Specs ***
AMD Ryzen 7 3700
16GB DDR4-2400
MSI B450M-A Pro Max AM4

What I've tried

• Disconnecting external devices
  • Removing the GPU and plugging the monitor into the built in hdmi port.
  • Removed cmos battery to reset cmos
None of these things helped. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Try remove the cmos battery and us the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard, make sure the power cable to is disconnected .

Put the clear cmos jumper back to the correct position before you put all back together.

Associate
OP
Try remove the cmos battery and us the clear cmos jumper on the motherboard, make sure the power cable to is disconnected .

Put the clear cmos jumper back to the correct position before you put all back together.

I had previously removed the cmos battery to clear the cmos, that didn't work, I've now swapped the motherboard out for a brand new one and I still have the same issue

Associate
OP
Unfortunately faulty memory issue maybe? Have you tested the sticks of memory one at a time ?
:)

I've only got one 16GB stick. I was thinking of just ordering another to see if its the RAM that's broken. If not it would still be good to have the extra stick I guess

Soldato
I've been trying to install the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and each time, it would get about half way through and the screen would go black and not respond to input but the fans were still all spinnning. Each time I was able to power cycle the machine and it booted up.

Its just happened again except now it won't boot up and just enters the same state - nothing on the screen, no error beeps, fans spinning but nothing happening.

*** Specs ***
AMD Ryzen 7 3700
16GB DDR4-2400
MSI B450M-A Pro Max AM4

What I've tried

• Disconnecting external devices
  • Removing the GPU and plugging the monitor into the built in hdmi port.
  • Removed cmos battery to reset cmos
None of these things helped. Any suggestions welcome.

Don't take this question as a nefarious question. But was this copy a legitimate copy or was it a pirated copy. This game has gathered so much attention even within the general public ( the bbc are doing bits on it for god sake ) that there are no doubt people out there baking in some dodgy/pc breaky stuff into these pirated copies just for the lols of it.

Again not attacking you or accusing you of pirating the game it would simply be useful information. As a system of that age that has been stable for months should not be breaking like that during the install of a game.

Associate
OP
Are you getting anything , fans spinning led power light on motherboard ?

Take the ram out and try it in the other slot.

Can you confirm the monitor works.

I've tried the RAM in the other slot - didn't make a difference, have ordered another 16GB stick which will arrive tomorrow. The monitor works as I'm using it with my old PC at the moment.

Associate
OP
Don't take this question as a nefarious question. But was this copy a legitimate copy or was it a pirated copy. This game has gathered so much attention even within the general public ( the bbc are doing bits on it for god sake ) that there are no doubt people out there baking in some dodgy/pc breaky stuff into these pirated copies just for the lols of it.

Again not attacking you or accusing you of pirating the game it would simply be useful information. As a system of that age that has been stable for months should not be breaking like that during the install of a game.

It was a legit copy installed via Xbox Game Pass.

Associate
OP
While taking the machine apart and trying things - when I was reconnecting the CPU cooler and case fans I noticed that there was a chance I may have previously had them connected to the opposite connectors. Wondering if this could have caused the CPU to burn out - e.g. if it was getting hot so it tries to spin up the CPU fan but just spins up the case fan?

Soldato

My first thought is that FS2020 is a 150 GB download and you might have run out of space.

Wondering if this could have caused the CPU to burn out - e.g. if it was getting hot so it tries to spin up the CPU fan but just spins up the case fan?

Yes, you can cook a CPU.

Back
Top Bottom