installing gentoo....

Permabanned
OP
yes i did. there were no geforce cards to choose during the config, so i set the gf2 mx up as a VGA compatible card

the error:

fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Permabanned
OP
ooooh... found another error

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/mouse
no such file or directory
(EE) Mouse1: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
No core pointer

guess its the mouse then : / intellimouse explorer optical, using a PS/2 converter but i can plug it straight into USB if thats easier

Last edited:
Suspended
Back up your XF86Config (it's in /etc/X11/ ) then try running X -configure

That'll autodetect your stuff, you can then either use that config, or copy and paste bits into your XF86Config.

Man of Honour
Yup! always make backups to any files to edit (if you don't know exactly what your doing). As for the mouse plug it straight into the USB and edit your XF86Config file. Under Section "inputDevice" make it as so:
Code:
Identifier  "Mouse1"
Driver      "mouse"   
Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Resolution" "2000"

Permabanned
OP
w00t :) /dev/psaux works :) but startx defaults to using the backup copy of XF86Config :( i have to use XFree86 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config :confused:

anyway, i'm now presented with a totally grey screen and a cross cursor : /

Permabanned
OP
righty then... seems to be working :)
my refresh rate is really low tho :( and my mouse scroll wheel doesn't work : / and how do i add (for example) opera to the menu when you right click on the desktop?

EDIT: where do i put images for them to be listed under "background images"?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your refresh rate is too low, did you put your correct horizontal and vertical refesh settings into the XF86Config? The refresh rate you get is calculated by those to settings. Consult you monitor manual for those if you don't know them. The mouse wheel should work if you put
Code:
into the XF86Config.

Adding an line (or customising) the Fluxbox menu you need to go into ~/.fluxbox directory and edit the file called menu. Take a look at menu and took at the file, you see a trend?
Code:
[exec] (ProgramNameToAppearOnMenu) {CLI_Launch_Command}
So launching Opera can be as simple as:
Code:
[exec] (Opera) {opera}
Or if you want to use the full path:
Code:
[exec] (Opera) {/usr/bin/opera}

edit:You have a background images tab on your menu? Hmmm .... you can try putting it into ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds

Permabanned
OP
hm.... i don't like xterm, i like whatever redhat used, where it showed the directory you were in :(
got background sorted tho, after emerging xli :)
i configured the kernel with AC97 support and it doesn't seem to work : / nor does my scroll wheel, even after adding the above ^^
erm... still gotta sort out the refresh rate... hmm

Suspended
xterm is crap, emerge eterm and use that :)

The way it "shows what directory you're in" is down to your .bash_profile in your home dir. Read the bash man pages and bodge something together.

Man of Honour
Well you got the system running now so pat yourself on the back :) ... all the rest is just tweaks ;)

Did you get your monitor horizontal and vertical refresh rates?

Xterms are great you can tweak exactly what you want the xterm to show using the PS1 command. Heres mine:
Code:
PS1="\[\e]2;\u@\h: \w\a\]$ "
PS1.jpg

... and thats what it looks like. I kinda got used to the fBSD style commandline which uses just the nice plain $ sign (nice and uncluttered). But I've made it so that the path I'm in is displayed at the top on my aterm title bar (just xterm which supports transparent backgrounds) .... and it shows user@hostname: /dir/that/iam/in

What motherboard are you using?

On your mouse try:
Code:
Identifier  "Mouse1"
Driver      "mouse"   
Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
Option "Button" "5"
Option "Resolution" "2000"

Back
Top Bottom