1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Hard Drive Firmware

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by zXen, 2 Jun 2006.

1. zXen

Associate

Hi,

Maxtor finally sent me the latest firmware to try and get my Maxtor drive working. Though, I'm not too sure how to install it exactly.

The zip file he sent me contained a "Dload.exe" and "va110680-08.dmc", there was also a readme file which asks me to:

"unzip the attached files, copy loader to floppy, copy firmware file to separate floppy

boot with boot disk (with or without CD-ROM support) - take out boot disk and insert disk with FWloader.
    type dload and press enter"

I tried booting into the Windows installation CD and pressing 'r' to get into the command line. I then browsed the A: and typed "dload", which didnt work, it said something like unrecognised command. I also tried "Dload" "dload.exe" and "Dload.exem, though none worked.

Any ideas how I am supposed to do this upgrade?

Cheers

2. Voodle

Gangster

You need to boot off of an actual boot disk, the windows CD recovery console isn't actually dos, it's a command line version of NT, try http://www.bootdisk.com/ and put the dload.exe on the bootdisk.

3. zXen

Associate

Yeah got it working with the WinME bootdisk (Win98 wouldnt copy). Though, hard drive still doesnt work so sending it back.

4. Darren555

Gangster

What mobo are you using it with?