Installing Intels Kaby Lake Drivers on a Windows 7 Laptop

Associate
Hi all.

I bought a new Laptop with an i5 7200U CPU and a Nvidea 950m GPU. It had windows 10 (as expected), so I backed it up and installed windows 7 on top.

Despite the Laptop manufacturers not officially supporting windows 7, I was able to install most drivers without too much problems.

I also installed the windows 7 updates until Kabylake compatibility of course jumped up at the end. The one thing I really need now, is the Intel graphic driver.
I download the drivers on Intel's webpage. Windows 7 is btw. listed under the supported OS's.
But when I try to install, I get this message
"Your computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software."

I should say that I did not install windows 7 as UEFI, but on legacy mode. Could that be it? (Please don't just say yes, unless you are having reason to believe so. It takes many many hours to install everything on a 5400 rpm HDD, including the updates.)

Is there any way I can install intels drivers on Windows 7? Btw. I also tried an older version of the driver, from 2016. Still does not work. Same error message.

The Laptop is an Acer E5 575G

Cheers everyone.

Associate
OP
Thank you both for the replays.

@ED209 Windows 7 is the 64-bit version, as is the Laptops. So are the drivers. I also checked their site (the link you provided) and also used their update tool. To no avail. It did not let me install the drivers.
@deuse That is a VERY interesting link. I was not aware of these hacks and could be a great way to maintain some important updates for windows 7. However, for the immediate problem, it does not seem to be relevant? (I am not sure). I think that the driver should work on windows 7...
At least, it says so on their website
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98909/Intel-HD-Graphics-630.

Cheers.

Soldato
Thank you both for the replays.

@ED209 Windows 7 is the 64-bit version, as is the Laptops. So are the drivers. I also checked their site (the link you provided) and also used their update tool. To no avail. It did not let me install the drivers.
@deuse That is a VERY interesting link. I was not aware of these hacks and could be a great way to maintain some important updates for windows 7. However, for the immediate problem, it does not seem to be relevant? (I am not sure). I think that the driver should work on windows 7...
At least, it says so on their website
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98909/Intel-HD-Graphics-630.

Cheers.

Try it and find out. I won't be going to windows 10....ever

Soldato
Download the zip version of the drivers, extract it, then use Device Manager?

Right click on the GPU, Update driver, select browse my computer, then select Let me pick, then the Have Disk button and navigate to the extracted folder. Open the Graphics folder and it should be igdlh64 that you open.

Soldato
it sounded as though he already tried to install the drivers direct from Intel and that failed.

the intel drivers ref'd also pre-date the 22nd march
KB4012218, KB4012219: Windows Update processor generation detection

ms patch, which seems likely to be responsible, so (unfortunately) re-installing and avoiding that patch maybe the way to go ? (or the hacked patch route - um)
(I currently use w7 and have locked out updates until i have assessed them - I have become super cautious after w10 dalliance)

Associate
OP
@deuse I too hate windows 10 with a passion. It still baffles me that it is not outright illegal what is going on. Be it privacy issues (I mean, the postal service is not allowed to open a letter, how is this ok?), be it essentially a cartel (Microsoft, Intel AMD and possibly even Nvidia collaborating together is surely against the idea of a free market?) or any number of other reasons. The Governments nowadays are not worth anything any more.
I hope that Linux can save the day in the long run. But the `secure' boot is a really frightening thought. I have the suspicion that if Linux becomes a challenger to M$, they will simply use cheap, and frankly immoral at least and possibly illegal, tactics such as that.

The big corporations, in conjunction with the Governments I really think, are fighting the free internet ever more directly.

@Orcvader Thank you for the advice. The problem is, when I try to do that, the file under Graphics is called igdlh64.inf, and when I pick it, there is no driver for an HD 620!, there are ones for HD 510-535, for Iris 540-555 etc, but no 600 series. It is very weird... I have redownloaded the file 3-4 times now, to make sure I did not pick the wrong one. It is clearly the one for HD 620, that Intel offers for download. I also tried 3 different versions, the newest, the oldest and the beta version. All of them only have 500 series drivers. WTF???

I am using the above link provided (it was 620, no 630, but anyway). https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620

Any ideas?
Cheers.

@jpaul. I tried installing the drivers before installing any updates. So I am not sure if its the updates that are causing the compatibility errors. Of course, it is possible that one needs certain updates, but that other are ruining it. I will try all I can with this version, before I go to the lengths of uninstalling and reinstalling the whole OS+updates (which take forever).
But if I can get everything working, these work arounds to get some important updates will be very useful.
Cheers.

Soldato
The problem is there isn't a Windows 7 driver for the HD 620.

The actual installer is an all encompassing package for their entire range of graphics adaptors, which is why it says it works on Windows 7.

If you look at the actual detail of the release you'll see this:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...phics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=96551
OS support

On 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel® Xeon® Mobile Processors and related Intel® Pentium® Processors/Intel® Celeron® Processors:

Microsoft Windows® 10* 64-bit only

On 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors, Intel Xeon Mobile Processors and related Intel Pentium Processors/Intel Celeron Processors:

Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1* 64-bit
Microsoft Windows 7* 64-bit
Intel® Atom® and related Intel Pentium Processors/Intel Celeron Processors formerly known as Apollo Lake:

Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit only

This page also confirms what is supported by what:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html

Associate
OP
SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now we are cooking.

I found the solution on Intels own forum, hehe. I will give the link, as well as write a short synapsis on how its done, in case someone else has this problem.
Link: https://communities.intel.com/message/446974#446974

Step 1: Download the zip version of the Intel Driver and unzip it.
Step 2: Look for the file named igdlh64 (igdlh64.inf).
Step 3: Open it, preferably with Notepad ++, but can also be any text opener.
Step 4: "
Modify the INF file, overwrite the windows 7 section with the code in the windows 10 section.

;=====================================================================

; Windows 7 Install - DT Only

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.1]

; SKL HW

***** REPLACE ********

; Windows Threshold Install - DT + Mobile

[IntelGfx.NTamd64.10.0]

; SKL HW

***** WITH THIS ********
"
Step 5: "
Disabled driver signatures, this can be done simply by rebooting and by hitting F8 when your ready to install the driver.
"
Disabling the driver signatures is one of the options along the lines of safe mode.

Brillian!

Thanks all for the help in this forum. You guys rock, and are much better than toms hardware site. So many people there are just along the lines of "just install windows 10" or "thats just the way it is". Ahhh, I am rather happy I have to say.

Cheers all.

Soldato
Glad you got it sorted and up and running. Always good to get a win from the customers rather than forcing you to w10 like ms want lol

Associate
OP
I also managed to install the USB drivers, which is the other complicated thing.

I thought I would mention it, in case someone else needs it.

Go to Windows 7* USB 3.0 Creator Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility
Than, download the windows 7 file.

Unzip it. There are 2 .inf files under USB_driver\x64.

Go to device manager and click update driver, browse my computer for drivers, let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, have disk. Install iusb3xhc first. I got a new USB entry, and a new unknown device. Go to unknown device and install driver, than browse my computer, than let me pick. This time, one has to first pick the device. Pick the USB entry (at the bottom) and again click on I have disk. Now choose the second i.e. iusb3hub.

You might get more unknown devices, bus USB does not work. No matter. Just restart the PC. Everything, including the USB works now. At least for me.

OF COURSE, I take no responsibility for anything. Make backups etc.

Cheers.

Btw. I might make a whole guide tomorrow on how to install Windows 7 on an E5 575G laptop. Many parts of that might also work on many other Kaby Lake based PC's. I will post it in a new thread, if these kinds of guides are welcome on this forum.

Cheers.

Associate
Hi there! is anyone still around here ? I need some help editing the .inf file... I can't wrap my head around what i shuould edit/copy/paste . I can't find in the file the sections u guys are refering to. i donwloaded two versions of the driver from the intel site . i opened both inf files ,but i can t figure out what to edit exactly. is there anyway for me to send u guys my inf files and help me with the edit? i hate w 10, would really like using w7 :( .

Back
Top Bottom