1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing - label side - face up or down

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by markdeer2004, 11 Oct 2009.

1. markdeer2004

Associate

hi,

Do you install your harddrive with the label facing up or down? Or does it not matter. Could reliability be affected if it was to spin while it was 'upside down'. Does manufacturers test using just one orientation. My new HD is from WD and they do not say which way to install.

2. Ducky Spud

Wise Guy

I install label facing up, think most people do but I doubt it has any effect on performance or reliability.

Seen people make custome HDD cages and install them on they're side too :p

3. Paul11

Capodecina

i have had hard drives face up, face down, vertical, angled on a slant, hanging off the power cables, outside the case, lying on dvd drives etc

makes no difference

4. IAmATeaf

Soldato

I used to always install where possible with label up but I've since read that it makes no difference but you are supposed to format with the drive in its final position or so I've read.

5. Fahim

Gangster

There is no performance or reliability problem with face down or up, as long as they don't move during operation. Mines are all label face up.

6. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Label up. Unless its in my hotswap bays in my server which are label sideways :p. Anyway, that used to be the only way they would fit in anything due to the screws being offset toward the bottom.

7. radar19

Wise Guy

As long as you dont bump them when they're spinning, it should be alright.