Insurance - Dont understand something...

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
Again, IF the resultant price was less than what someone else offers.

Another case in point, norwich union offer 50% off for pass plus drivers - the cost of the original cover? Over twice what I pay with tesco.

Dont be fooled by gimmicks, but if you do find a genuine bargain then well done :)

Yeah, Admiral were quite a lot cheaper than every other company I tried. Been with them a few years now and no one has come close.

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
Another case in point, norwich union offer 50% off for pass plus drivers - the cost of the original cover? Over twice what I pay with tesco.

)

Talk sport have a show sponsered by budget van insurance, and they are continually saying to get a quote, "you will be pleasantly surprised".
So i get a quote.

£4384.
Thats only over 4 times what i am paying now.

Another one that gets me, how come they say you can use your wifes, or your fathers or whoevers no claims discount to lower your premium, even if they are not going to drive the vehicle?
What bearing has their not having an accident, got to do with your driving ability?
For instance, my brother rang for a quote, and he didnt have any no claims bonus, and they said, would your father be willing to let you have his?
So my dad said sure, you can have half of my 25 years no claims.
And they said no, it has to be all of it.
Ahh, so its a scam then my brother says, "yes" was the answer at the other end.

Soldato
so you are allowed to transfer NCB between drivers? My dad is ill at the moment so he isn't driving. Does that mean I could have his 10 years of NCB transferred to my name?!

Man of Honour
gambitt said:
so you are allowed to transfer NCB between drivers? My dad is ill at the moment so he isn't driving. Does that mean I could have his 10 years of NCB transferred to my name?!

Of course it couldn't, what a completely daft thing to think. The fact your Dad has 10 years of no claims and thus, 10 years of 'risk free' driving has absolutely no bearing on your ability to drive whatsoever!

Soldato
atpbx said:
For instance, my brother rang for a quote, and he didnt have any no claims bonus, and they said, would your father be willing to let you have his?
So my dad said sure, you can have half of my 25 years no claims.
And they said no, it has to be all of it.
Ahh, so its a scam then my brother says, "yes" was the answer at the other end.

[TW]Fox said:
Of course it couldn't, what a completely daft thing to think. The fact your Dad has 10 years of no claims and thus, 10 years of 'risk free' driving has absolutely no bearing on your ability to drive whatsoever!

Try reading the whole thread before posting like a ********.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Transferring someone elses NCB is the most daft thing I've ever heard, what next "am I allowed to nip down to the shops if I borrow my dads licence" :p

Soldato
Did you even read his post? He didn't say it was free. He said the insurance co. told him "would your father be willing to let you have his?" which means his dad would no longer have his NCB.

I just asked a question. Perhaps atpbx is the best person to answer it since he posted it.

Soldato
gambitt said:
Did you even read his post? He didn't say it was free. He said the insurance co. told him "would your father be willing to let you have his?" which means his dad would no longer have his NCB.

I just asked a question. Perhaps atpbx is the best person to answer it since he posted it.

Insurance companies will ask you, certainly between close relatives, such as your wife, or your parents, if they will "be willing to transfer their no claims"

Both Direct line, and Admiral have asked this questions to me in the past over car insurance (as i was always on fleet insurance with a company vehicle) and thus never acrued any no claims for when i bought my own car and van.

Hell, if you dont believe me guys ring up for a quote, when it comes to asking about no claims, say you dont have any, but like oh your wife has 13 years of driving, oh i wish i had her no claims, they will almost certianly ask you if your wife/father/mother would be willing to "transfer their no claims" to you.

I thought it was common practise?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's so far removed from common practice I'm suprised they asked you.

No claims is a measurement of risk, how risky you are to the insurer. What possible reason would they have to give you an almightly great discount based on the driving record of somebody else?

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

No claims is a measurement of risk, how risky you are to the insurer. What possible reason would they have to give you an almightly great discount based on the driving record of somebody else?

Well like i said, ring, and ask.

And then post the reply they give you.
Its a free phone number for Direct line, so it wont cost you anything.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

I think this only works if you have been a named driver on their policy without a policy of your own.

Its the same principal as people that get no claims from their company car driving record.

Back
Top Bottom