Insurers offering DOC for under 25s

Soldato
Can you have DOC added part way through a policy?

I took out a policy with Admiral Dec 2009 when I was 24 so they didn't add DOC as under 25. I turned 25 in Jan 2010 and I wouldn't mind having it added. :)

Associate
I'm only 19 but got DOC cover on a comprehensive policy with Direct Line, 3rd party only though and the car must already be insured.

Permabanned
OP
Bear in mind if he thinks that this is an easy route to driving something he would never get insurance for by insuring something with a 1.0 litre engine or something, DOC only applies where the vehicle being driven already has a insurance policy in force that covers it.

You sir are an idiot.

Everyone else - thanks.

Associate
I'm only 19 but got DOC cover on a comprehensive policy with Direct Line, 3rd party only though and the car must already be insured.

Check your policy booklet and you'll find the last part isn't true. I'm very surprised that you've got doc at 19 as Direct line only used to offer this for over 25's and everyone else seems to be increasing the age restrictions or getting rid of it entirely.

Associate
So, if you're driving a car under DOC that isn't insured elsewhere and you park it on the street and leave it that vehicle is uninsured? I was under the impression that to park on a public road a car needed insurance or is this just wrong?

Caporegime
DOC on Flexibell was epic! £35 well spent.

However, now its gone, im simply not going to pay the £200+ premiums to go with another insurer just to get it.

Permabanned
OP
So, if you're driving a car under DOC that isn't insured elsewhere and you park it on the street and leave it that vehicle is uninsured? I was under the impression that to park on a public road a car needed insurance or is this just wrong?

If you are driving a car on DOC and it isn't otherwise insured, you cannot leave it unattended on public highway.

Caporegime

This is true. It will be uninsured when left anywhere. Hence why the whole "not insuring a car and driving it with DoC" argument doesnt stand up.

sure you can do it, but why would you want to?

Soldato
Also if the car doesn't have insurance in it's own right then you risk being picked up on ANPR equipped police cars as having no insurance and stopped.

Associate
Right, and it specifically states that on your insurance certificate does it?

On my certificate it states some letters that my policy includes then in the handbook it states what the letters corronspond to, one of them being DOC cover.

I was surprised as I didn't actually specifically ask for it and I may be reading it wrong but I did ring up saying I wanted pretty much everthing included eg; legal cover, hire car, breakdown etc. I've also got £0 excess after the obligatory excess or w/e.

It was quite a bit more expensive than the cheapest quote but I'm only paying half and it was paid off for the full year which is obviously cheaper again.

Only thing they wouldn't do because of my age was cover any modifications I think until I'm 25.

I won't ever need to drive another car which is why I haven't bothered phoning and at least I have my own policy unlike a lot of people my age I know who seem to pay a 1/3rd I do because their on one of their parents policy despite them always driving the car.

Back
Top Bottom