Insurers offering DOC for under 25s

Soldato
Sounds like you're mistaken (worrying as I expect lots of people assume they have DOC when they don't and are driving other people's cars totally uninsured) - it will specifically state on your insurance certificate that you are also allowed to drive other cars.

1b Driving other cars
If your certificate of motor insurance says so, this policy provides the same cover as above in 1a when you are driving any other motor car as long as you do not own it and it is not hired to you under a hire-purchase or leasing agreement. This cover only applies if:
• there is no other insurance in force which covers the same liability;
• you have the owner’s permission to drive the car;
• the car is registered in and being driven in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands; and
• you still have your car and it has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair.

Also I have no idea where you got the idea that the other car must be insured - have you really read your documents properly?

Soldato
From mine, just to show it does exist on some:

The policyholder may also drive with the owner's permission a car not owned by the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a hire purchase or annual leasing agreement and is not used in connection with the motor trade. This is provided the owner of the car has valid insurance in force on that car but which does not cover the policyholder of this Policy to drive that car.

Associate
Just checked my policy with swiftcover:

Section C Liability to Other People and Their Property
We will pay:
If You have an accident which is caused by:

Your Car;
any car driven by You, with the owner’s express consent, within the Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands as long as:
• that car does not belong to You;
the car is insured by the car owner and You are entitled by the Certificate to drive such a car;
• is not hired to You under a hire purchase agreement;
• You are permitted by the car owner to drive the car.

Do make sure you check your policy :)

Soldato
Hmm

*checks policy document PDFs*

edit:

Says on mine that "Cover is for third party only and in any case there will be no cover unless a current and valid policy of insurance is in force for the private motor car being driven under this section of the policy"

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm

*checks policy document PDFs*

edit:

Says on mine that "Cover is for third party only and in any case there will be no cover unless a current and valid policy of insurance is in force for the private motor car being driven under this section of the policy"

I thought that has always been the case.

Had that line on my documents, but Aviva also mentioned you had to be 25 but Mr Man in the Indian call centres did tell me a number of times that I would be fine under 25 :rolleyes:

Associate
Little bit of a bump here.

Are there actually any insurance companies that do still offer DOC for under 25s?

With Bell at the moment but the renewal I've had through is a bit of a joke.

Soldato
Just checked my policy with swiftcover:

Section C Liability to Other People and Their Property
We will pay:
If You have an accident which is caused by:

Your Car;
any car driven by You, with the owner’s express consent, within the Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands as long as:
• that car does not belong to You;
the car is insured by the car owner and You are entitled by the Certificate to drive such a car;
• is not hired to You under a hire purchase agreement;
• You are permitted by the car owner to drive the car.

Is the "certificate" mentioned in the bold part the certificate of insurance of the owner of the car you wish to drive, or your own certificate? (i.e. that the above text is printed on)

It reads like the former, but that would be completely nonsensical, i.e. it would effectively say "we will cover you to drive another car, provided you are already insured to drive that car".

Man of Honour
The term 'Certificate' will be defined in the policy documentation and almost certainly refers to your own certificate.

Associate
Think I may do! But I bet it won't be for free.

its free if your over the age of 25, if you renewed after the age of 25 with them it will be on the back of your certificate if you turned 25 during a term with them you will need to call them but you will be charged £17.50 to have your cert re printed to show your covered

Back
Top Bottom