Insurers offering DOC for under 25s

Associate
He didn't seem to have seen the advice by metamorph that the co-operative insurance were one of the few or indeed the only insurer to offer DOC to those under the age of 25. :p

Don
swiftcover for me says this

The policyholder may also drive with the owner's permission a car not owned by the policyholder and not hired to the policyholder under a hire purchase or annual leasing agreement and is not used in connection with the motor trade. This is provided the owner of the car has valid insurance in force on that car but which does not cover the policyholder of this Policy to drive that car.

never actually bothered to look - which was rather stupid of me.

Soldato
I'm with swiftcover too.

Can't say I've ever driven someone elses car that wasn't otherwise insured, so can't see how it makes any difference.

I often drive the missus's car which I know is covered.

Associate
[citation needed]

So what's to stop someone buying a Ferrari and a Mini, only insuring the Mini and driving around the Ferrari every day with third-party cover? Seems like a pretty obvious loophole to me!

It would also only be covered 3rd party I imagine meaning your running the risk of totalling a ferrari and getting nothing for it.

Soldato
IIRC the reason the majority of insurance companies require a car driven under DOC to be insured now is because the dept of transport issued that recommendation to the motor insurance industry a few years back. This was because it made it easier for the police to target uninsured drivers (instead of pulling people over and finding out they were driving an uninsured car DOC) and also because the were people abusing it (I.E one bloke in particular who took out DOC insurance on a clapped out fiesta which he parked on his lawn then bought his daughter who didn't even have a licence an Evo which he went lampooning around in)

Back
Top Bottom