• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Caporegime
Interesting review for the 11400: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/

Apparently Gear 1 can Lead to Performance Loss on Intel "Rocket Lake" 11th Gen Processors: https://www.techpowerup.com/280720/...loss-on-intel-rocket-lake-11th-gen-processors

I'm unfamiliar with Intel CPU's so this is all new to me?

Gear 1 and Gear 2 is to Intel what AMD's Infinity Fabric one to one ratio vs one in two, 1:2 ratio allows for higher Memory overclocking at the expense of the IMC running at half speed, with AMD that can reduce performance because the IMC is linked to the Infinity Fabric Clock, running it at half speed increases the Core Interconnect latency.

With Intel it doesn't matter, its a monolithic die, there is no Interconnect.

I suspect Intel's apparent "higher Memory Overclocking" was never anything to do with having a "Better IMC" or AMD's being "weaker" i think Intel always cut the IMC bus speed in half over a certain memory speed, it just did it in the background without you knowing about it, where as with Zen this has always been visible because AMD allow you to adjust it manually, Intel are simply following AMD's lead with Rocket Lake.

Soldato
Gear 1 and Gear 2 is to Intel what AMD's Infinity Fabric one to one ratio vs one in two, 1:2 ratio allows for higher Memory overclocking at the expense of the IMC running at half speed, with AMD that can reduce performance because the IMC is linked to the Infinity Fabric Clock, running it at half speed increases the Core Interconnect latency.

With Intel it doesn't matter, its a monolithic die, there is no Interconnect.

I suspect Intel's apparent "higher Memory Overclocking" was never anything to do with having a "Better IMC" or AMD's being "weaker" i think Intel always cut the IMC bus speed in half over a certain memory speed, it just did it in the background without you knowing about it, where as with Zen this has always been visible because AMD allow you to adjust it manually, Intel are simply following AMD's lead with Rocket Lake.

Thanks for the info, so leave the CPU and memory at 1:1 unless OC'ing the memory?

Associate
Would anyone recommend or advise using something like a 11400f as a media server CPU? I'm currently using an old gen8 HP with a Xeon 1265L which is only 45w and passively cooled, but its showing its age and whilst great for plex, I can't really game on the 4k TV it's connected to... these 11400's seem like an absolute bargain though, as long as they can be made to run silent or passively cooled... is this realistic?

Soldato
The 11400 has the cut down version of the igpu if that is a factor to you.
Not sure of the 10 series had the cut down igpu in it or not.
You'd think silence might be an option, but passive is most unlikely.

Soldato
Some advice please, looking at building a second (cheap) 11xxx system and using some old bits .... will LPX 3000 RAM hold cpu back at all? Much point getting a 'K' chip or not? Cheers ;)

Soldato
seems like a solid upgrade from an i7700K to me - approx £500 all in with decent B560 MB and 32gb3200. Almost a bargain!

Caporegime
look at 1080 across games it beats all the 3 series amd cpus which for the price is amazing. also not far off the 5600.

tbh you dont really need anything more for gaming at any res. just get a good card.

150 cpu.
100 motherboard
16 gb 3600 for 65 -70 quid.

cheap gaming set up.

Associate
This is great, but again another reviewer not comparing it to the 10400.

I’m also looking for a clear and simple comparison for all things being equal, a straight comparison between these two CPUs. If I’m spending £25 extra for no reason... I might as well save the £25!

(FYI I don’t think I’m fully fussed about Pcie 4.0 and will likely pair this with a B560i anyway)

Associate
I neeeeeeed a straight comparison. I especially want to know how the iGPUs compare. Like how big of a difference is between the UHD 630 vs 730.

Soldato
I’m also looking for a clear and simple comparison for all things being equal, a straight comparison between these two CPUs. If I’m spending £25 extra for no reason... I might as well save the £25!

(FYI I don’t think I’m fully fussed about Pcie 4.0 and will likely pair this with a B560i anyway)

Just bear in mind if there's a m.2 slot and it uses gen 4 lanes from the cpu, then you will probably lose that slot with a 10th gen.

Back
Top Bottom