• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Soldato
is there any good motherboard reviews for these cpus ? ocuk dont seem to stock them.

It is a shame that OCUK aren't doing any budget boards.
And haven't put the free games on with the 11th gen parts.
And they haven't got any 11400F in stock.

They've dropped the ball this time. I would have preferred to buy through them.

Associate
The 11400 has the cut down version of the igpu if that is a factor to you.
Not sure of the 10 series had the cut down igpu in it or not.
You'd think silence might be an option, but passive is most unlikely.

The GPU isn't needed, I have a spare 1050ti in my current media server, but the plan is to hopefully get a 3080ti and then use my 3060ti for my plex server.

I suppose if passive cooling isn't an option aio is probably next best choice. These things just seem great value that an aio won't dent the budget too greatly.

Soldato
Won't it just run at gen 3.0 speed?

No, because the it uses storage dedicated CPU lanes that the 10 gen parts don't have.

Saying that though, I saw an asrock itx board with one m.2 slot, and that works at either gen 3 or gen 4 speeds depending on the gen of the CPU installed. God knows how they engineered the board to either use CPU or chipset lanes for the same slot in that case.

It's always worth checking the detailed spec for the motherboard on the manufacturer's page for it.

Associate
I'd be interested in updating my backup Pentium G4560, any news on 11th gen Pentium or I3 chips?

Not interested in a chip more than £80 for that though, and more preferably £60 max and must have any iGPU that can power a screen for diagnostic test bench use.

Current £56 pentium is still 10th gen, would prefer 11th gen cores and a B560 for its memory overclocking.

Anything as such worth considering from AMD? Typically their ITX motherboards cost a lot more due to having full overclocking still so I didn't find them as good value as Intel's budget ITX boards (currently around £95 for an Asrock ITX B560).

I often bench the latest games and such on it for fun, lastly I was surprised to find that Baldurs Gate 3 could run decently at 40+ FPS at 1080p low medium settings with the G4560 and Radeon 550 (non RX with crippled 64 bit vram too).

Last edited:
Associate
I could replace my G4560 with an 11400 build for the fun of it hmmm, but I already have a 10900K main build so theres no point.

Still trying to find the packaging for the ram so I can list it all on Ebay.

Soldato
The issue for me with Intel is buying into the platform, I think Intel need to offer more.

What Intel really need are competitively priced graphics cards. That market is ripe for the picking.

Soldato
How do you mean? Rocket Lake is the last hurrah for both DDR4 and LGA 1200. LGA 1700 is expected to be out at the end of the year.

I wouldn’t invest any money in an Intel platform. Going straight in at the highest end kind of makes sense if you don’t mind sacrificing upgradability.

Associate
Well, I got the 11400f and... really like it as an upgrade from my 4790k. Am I allowed to say that? :D

Seems to run cooler with my old Hyper Evo 212, updated feathers on the B560 Itx board (including an extra case fan header, finally!). Only annoying thing is that Windows is throwing a bit of a wobbly with swaping the parts around, especially with program shortcuts. It sounds like the OS is sensitive to the SATA port numbering? I can't really be bothered to open it all up and swap things around though.

But yes, Apex legends is now buttery smooth at 144fps at 1440p (only drops to 100 or so when in the dropship at the beginning) and the CPU has loads of headroom still. Will test it out on some other games when I get around to it.

Soldato
Well, I got the 11400f and... really like it as an upgrade from my 4790k. Am I allowed to say that? :D

Yep you are, the 10400f would have given you exactly the same experience however and saved you a bit cash if you don't want/need PCIE 4.0. I can't get enough B560 boards right now, they are proving to be a great budget gaming option. How do you feel going from a range topping CPU (of its time) to a bargain basement performer?

Associate
whats the temps like with that cooler ? while gaming or on desktop ?

It's 32C on the desktop. While gaming on Apex (seeing around 40-50% utilisation I'm guessing) I believe it was around 65Cish. I will double-check this evening if it helps anyone, can also check the temps it hits on Timespy. Keep in mind that I'm in an ITX case (3 case fans, fairly average fan profile I think)

EDIT: Oh I haven't touched the power limit yet! My PSU probably needs to be a bit beefier (and the Evo 212 needs an upgrade as well). The B560 is budget as well, so don't want to push the VRM's either.

Yep you are, the 10400f would have given you exactly the same experience however and saved you a bit cash if you don't want/need PCIE 4.0. I can't get enough B560 boards right now, they are proving to be a great budget gaming option. How do you feel going from a range topping CPU (of its time) to a bargain basement performer?

True, but I figured I won't really care too much about £30 extra when the total upgrade cost me £150 (11400f), £90 (B560 ITX), £75 (DDR4). I'm not absolutely loaded, but this kind of total cost is something I can do without fretting too much, especially for a one-off and for a frivolous distraction such as gaming. If I went higher-end and was splashing £800+ when I can arguably already play without drastic issues already would have seemed foolish.

That being said, it does all run better. No hitches or variances in FPS. I also appreciate that my CPU seems to be running cooler overall, so that means less case noise as well.

I have a CPU that I don't feel is drastically holding back my 2080ti now, and will be happy with this for a good little while yet.

Last edited:
Associate
It's 32C on the desktop. While gaming on Apex (seeing around 40-50% utilisation I'm guessing) I believe it was around 65Cish. I will double-check this evening if it helps anyone, can also check the temps it hits on Timespy. Keep in mind that I'm in an ITX case (3 case fans, fairly average fan profile I think)

EDIT: Oh I haven't touched the power limit yet! My PSU probably needs to be a bit beefier (and the Evo 212 needs an upgrade as well). The B560 is budget as well, so don't want to push the VRM's either.

True, but I figured I won't really care too much about £30 extra when the total upgrade cost me £150 (11400f), £90 (B560 ITX), £75 (DDR4). I'm not absolutely loaded, but this kind of total cost is something I can do without fretting too much, especially for a one-off and for a frivolous distraction such as gaming. If I went higher-end and was splashing £800+ when I can arguably already play without drastic issues already would have seemed foolish.

That being said, it does all run better. No hitches or variances in FPS. I also appreciate that my CPU seems to be running cooler overall, so that means less case noise as well.

I have a CPU that I don't feel is drastically holding back my 2080ti now, and will be happy with this for a good little while yet.

I did a stress test to check the temps on my 11400f and it hits 90c before coming down to 60-70... this also coincides with the live bench score reducing simultaneously and probably suggests thermal throttling.
This was late last night and have yet to revisit but I read about some new power settings that are present with these new 11th gen. i don’t think I’ve changed those but I think maybe if a high power limit has been added then my system does not like it at all.
It’s being cooled by a 120mm aio in an ITX system.

Soldato
I did a stress test to check the temps on my 11400f and it hits 90c before coming down to 60-70... this also coincides with the live bench score reducing simultaneously and probably suggests thermal throttling.

Or it suggests normal boost behaviour, hitting PL2 for the set TAU and then dropping back to 65w.

Back
Top Bottom