• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

INTEL 8700K & 8600K COFFEE LAKE NOW IN STOCK AT FAIR PRICING!

Soldato
Tomb raider needs to be 60 fps locked in 3d but it dips to 45 fps regardless of resolution.
That's weird. I have a 1600 at around the same speed and I've never even come close to dropping below 60fps in RotTR. Even in the Geothermal Valley area that's the biggest CPU stress test in the game, it stays around 100fps. I can't imagine that running in 3D more than doubles CPU load. What RAM speed are you running?

Associate
I am running 2933 Mhz but as you have stated, 100fps is not enough in 3d as it needs to be 120 fps locked you see. 60 fps for each eye.

It runs higher in dx12 but the 3d doesn't render properly and there are freezes every few seconds.

Associate
Can I request that you refund me the difference! Since you made me pay an extra £25.00 last week when the i7 8700k is now reduced ? I'm pretty sure because I ordered online I have 30 days to request this ? would you be so kind to refund me the difference back ? Cheers Jase.

Associate
Just posting to say thanks to ocuk for an excellent no hassle service.

My 8700k system is up and running without drama so far. I didn't get the asrock board in the end.

I put a little extra towards my budget for the Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 which is fabulous.

Thanks again.:D

OcUK Staff
Asrock very solid in all current chipsets. The taichi and beyond really an awesome board. The z370 taichi is a four dimmer board where 4133mhz is easy on the mems with equal efficiency to Asus hero. They OC 8Pack dimms like a dream. 3200 can go 3866-4k c18-c19 no problem.

Associate
Just a quick question please. Is there a way to get the cores to down clock in windows high performance mode?

It does it on balanced mode only. Thanks.

Never mind. I have flashed back to the original earlier bios and it's fixed.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's a great time to do a Coffeelake build.

At the moment some Gigabyte Auros motherboards comes with a Fay Cry 5 game code,

The 8700k comes with the following game freebies:

Warhammer: Vermintide 2,
Xmorph: Defense,
Ashes of the Singularity: Classic,
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation,

And in game content for the following:

Fractured Space, Warframe, Dreadnought & World of Tanks.

It also includes some software freebies:

Beatbuddy, PCmove Pro & Xsplit.

I don't know about the in game content or software but there's over £100 in games.

Soldato
It's a great time to do a Coffeelake build.

At the moment some Gigabyte Auros motherboards comes with a Fay Cry 5 game code,

The 8700k comes with the following game freebies:

Warhammer: Vermintide 2,
Xmorph: Defense,
Ashes of the Singularity: Classic,
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation,

And in game content for the following:

Fractured Space, Warframe, Dreadnought & World of Tanks.

It also includes some software freebies:

Beatbuddy, PCmove Pro & Xsplit.

I don't know about the in game content or software but there's over £100 in games.

Just a shame there's alternatives due any time and that Intel have had to up their game with the 8 core. Might as well wait and see if they can keep that running at decent speeds on 8 cores if you must go Intel. We'll see how the Ryzen refresh lines up in a week or 2. The price drop is obviously related to AMD's price drop + new chip.

Permabanned
Just a shame there's alternatives due any time and that Intel have had to up their game with the 8 core. Might as well wait and see if they can keep that running at decent speeds on 8 cores if you must go Intel. We'll see how the Ryzen refresh lines up in a week or 2. The price drop is obviously related to AMD's price drop + new chip.

True, but if you're building a gaming PC & you want the 5 games on offer which together cost around £100 it's a good deal when you take that saving into account, The 8700k isn't suddenly going to become obsolete because of some new cpu's, it's a fast gaming chip that's going to remain relevant for years.

Soldato
True, but if you're building a gaming PC & you want the 5 games on offer which together cost around £100 it's a good deal when you take that saving into account, The 8700k isn't suddenly going to become obsolete because of some new cpu's, it's a fast gaming chip that's going to remain relevant for years.

£100 is rather a stretch, I'd say.
With the distance between Ryzen and the preferred Intel chip closing, I'd say it needs something more for Intel to be considered "dominant". It's single digit %FPS difference in most cases, the difference generally disappearing on more modern engines (and becoming smaller single digit % beyond 1080p). I don't see a few games and a bit of fluff being a significant selling point. If the Intel chip is more expensive (we'll see what Ryzen 2 comes in at once the inevitable initial scalping calms down), it's going to require quite some... "framing" to make it _more_ relevant than a cheaper chip with more cores, no?

Permabanned
£100 is rather a stretch, I'd say.

Why is it a stretch?

Far Cry 5 is currently £50.00,
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 is £23.80,
Xmorph: Defense is £15,
Ashes of the Singularity: Classic is no longer on the Steam store,
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is currently on sale at £10.50,

That's around £97 and then you have the in game items and software which I'm sure is more than 3 quids worth.
It's a £100 saving on a motherboard & cpu bundle & it's ideal for a Gamer.

Soldato
FC5: £40
WH-V2 - £18
X-morph: £8
AOTS: £4

Assuming you wanted all, less to be able to sell them on. It's a stretch :)
You can't really use steam prices as it's steam keys, same thing you'd get from a reseller.

If you weren't obviously lining this up to use as "the 8700K is actually only £220!" in 2 weeks when gen 2 launches, it would be fair enough :) let it go ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone looking to buy into coffee lake would be better of waiting for the 8 core chips which could offer better value or lower prices on the 8700`s

well you can get them for 300 or even less for the non k chip.ryzen refresh soon to drop isnt close in gaming so they are a great chip. the reason to wait to go ryzen refresh is for the multi side not gaming only.intel has that locked.

Soldato
well you can get them for 300 or even less for the non k chip.ryzen refresh soon to drop isnt close in gaming so they are a great chip. the reason to wait to go ryzen refresh is for the multi side not gaming only.intel has that locked.

You'd also go Gen 2 for a better gaming system if you had any form of budget.

Caporegime
why would you. you would get a cheap i5.unless you on utter low budget even then id still go 2nd hand buy a cheap 150 older i7 rig and just put a newish card in it.

Soldato
why would you. you would get a cheap i5.unless you on utter low budget even then id still go 2nd hand buy a cheap 150 older i7 rig and just put a newish card in it.

Do we REALLY need to go around this loop every time?

At...whatever budget point, there's a cheaper AMD chip that'll give 90%+ of the single core performance of the Intel at less money. You spend this money on bigger GPU and get more FPS overall. That it also destroys the Intel in multi-core means you, overall, also have a better system for everything else.

Cheaper AMD+bigger card > More expensive Intel + smaller card.

The AMD based rig will give more FPS for the same money.

Edit: When Ryzen beats the single core performance of older gens and costs the same price new as an older gen second hand, why would you buy the older gen for 2nd hand, less performance and the same money?

Last edited:
Caporegime
what budget you talking about ? cheapest i5 beats the top ryzen in games and even the new ryzen refresh.realistically anyone building or buying a gaming pc is atleast spending 500 minimum.as i just said i could buy a i7 2700k3770k rig for £150-200 every day of the week stick a 1060 in it and nothing ryzen is close.for that budget.if you got a higher budget then you would buy soley for gaming cheapest i5 and its still faster than anything ryzen wise now or on refresh.

the reason to buy ryzen is either you must have new for warranty and a amd fan or you want the advantage or the multiside. you dont need to reply.

the expense from the new ryzen rig you will build you save over the basic i5 rig is actually quite funny.cause in the long run the intel rig will have better performance and last longer so work out faster and better performance per pound while you have the rig. everyone always looks at the innitial price of the pc . not the expense over time. this is why intel has gaming sown up.

Soldato
what budget you talking about ? cheapest i5 beats the top ryzen in games and even the new ryzen refresh.realistically anyone building or buying a gaming pc is atleast spending 500 minimum.as i just said i could buy a i7 2700k3770k rig for £150-200 every day of the week stick a 1060 in it and nothing ryzen is close.for that budget.if you got a higher budget then you would buy soley for gaming cheapest i5 and its still faster than anything ryzen wise now or on refresh.

the reason to buy ryzen is either you must have new for warranty and a amd fan or you want the advantage or the multiside. you dont need to reply.

the expense from the new ryzen rig you will build you save over the basic i5 rig is actually quite funny.cause in the long run the intel rig will have better performance and last longer so work out faster and better performance per pound while you have the rig. everyone always looks at the innitial price of the pc . not the expense over time. this is why intel has gaming sown up.

What? :D

Urgh.

Lets see some examples.

Which i5 are you trying to refer to?
What "performance per pound"?

I was quite clear. The Ryzen chips are about 10% behind, in single core only, the similar, more expensive Intel chip at basically any price/performance point.
For a specific budget, you thus buy the cheaper Ryzen, spend the money on a bigger GPU and get more FPS.

Do we need pictures?

If we're referring to a <gen 8 i5... that's a 4 core/thread CPU. So... show me one that's cheaper than Ryzen 1300.

R3 1300 + bigger card > i5 ???? + smaller card for overall gaming performance. The bigger card makes up more FPS than the slightly weaker CPU looses.

If we're referring to a gen 8, lets add chip+board+ram+gpu for a specific budget for each side. The Ryzen setup will generally win on overall FPS.

When you're having to go second hand vs new... I take it I'm not allowed for... reasons... to do the same? Outcome remains.

I'm expecting an extreme, 1 sided edge case in response, please don't disappoint ;)

Back
Top Bottom