Associate
Hi Guys

So I decided to update my CPU from an Intel i5-8400 to an Intel i7-9700f. I made a silly mistake of selling the i5 processor first then installing the i7. The pc would boot for couple seconds then restart. Turns out I had to update the BIOS to support the latest 9th Gen Chip.

It’s to expensive to buy another i5 processor just to update the BIOS. So I decided to buy a low budget second hand LG1151 Series CPU ( Intel pentium gold g5400 ). I installed the G5400 CPU with no heat sink or fan so I could quickly update the motherboard BIOS but after booting up I’m still getting the same issue. Computer boots up for 20 seconds then restarts. Blank screen at boot up and can’t access BIOS. For some reason it’s not accepting the G5400.

Would I need to get another exact i5-8400 to boot up or could it be a motherboard issue.

Any advise would be much appreciated thank you

Man of Honour
If the G5400 is SR3X9 I'd be surprised if it didn't boot with it, but it will quickly accelerate to ridiculous temperatures without a HSF, so I wouldn't trust it for troubleshooting purposes. Did you clear the cmos after installing the G5400?

Was the 9700F stuck in a boot loop, then? If the G5400 is up for 20 seconds compared to only 2 for the 9400F, then it seems like something else could be the problem.

Associate
OP
If the G5400 is SR3X9 I'd be surprised if it didn't boot with it, but it will quickly accelerate to ridiculous temperatures without a HSF, so I wouldn't trust it for troubleshooting purposes. Did you clear the cmos after installing the G5400?

Was the 9700F stuck in a boot loop, then? If the G5400 is up for 20 seconds compared to only 2 for the 9400F, then it seems like something else could be the problem.

My bad 20 secs bootloop on both processors G5400 & I7 9700F. Tried connecting HDMI cable also to both motherboard and 5600 XT slot No Signal on screen. I’m losing valuable Apex Legends Time.

I’ll try reinstalling the cpu again and see what happens.

Man of Honour
This wasn't a motherboard you got on release, right? I think (don't really remember) the i5 and i7 CPUs came out first, then the Pentiums and Celerons followed maybe 6 months afterwards. But, the G5400 is basically just a cut-down 8400, so if it's on a release BIOS, I'd have thought it would still recognise the CPU. Did you remove the motherboard from the case when you upgraded? Maybe double check all the cables and the rear I/O.

Associate
OP
This wasn't a motherboard you got on release, right? I think (don't really remember) the i5 and i7 CPUs came out first, then the Pentiums and Celerons followed maybe 6 months afterwards. But, the G5400 is basically just a cut-down 8400, so if it's on a release BIOS, I'd have thought it would still recognise the CPU. Did you remove the motherboard from the case when you upgraded? Maybe double check all the cables and the rear I/O.

I kept the motherboard the case all this time. I also removed the GPU, reinstalled the CPU again but same problem still persists, bootloop. Is there a way of resetting the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Where are you located? I think I have an 8xxx series CPU boxed unused still.
London. I don’t want you going through hassle. Thanks for the thought though.

I just realized I could try Qflash with a USB and try update the BIOS that way. I have a
AORUS Ultra Gaming WiFi Board which has Dual BIOS built in ( I just hope the Motherboard is gone). What about CMOS SWITCH ?

Associate
OP
Hi guys

SOLVED

Turns out the 1-2 Pins on the mother CPU slot were bent after deep inspection with my phone light. I managed to align them and got the PC running again. Managed to also flash the BIOS with latest update ( noticed a lil speed boost in performance ).

I must The i7 is faster but really noisy. With discreet graphics required. Looking back at it the 8400 i5 was really a smashing CPU. Also just to mention gigabytes app-Center is really bad. Every time I click live update is says no internet connection when I do so.

Back
Top Bottom