• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hello everyone. I've recently upgraded from 5820k to 9700k and was surprised to find out that the CPU is running at 4600 boost clock at any usage. I have checked the power settings for minimum processor state and it is set at 50%, however, only the maximum processor state makes a difference. My bios settings on Gygabyte Z390M are mostly on auto except for the XMP profile (Running F2 version of bios). Please advise

Edit: Running at 4.6 in bios

Last edited:
Soldato
Anything like what?

Edit: Only flags would be the 2 unidentified PCI devices (PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller and PCI Device) + (SM Bus Controller)

Sorry system manager.

EDIT: sorry really tired. I've got a teaching 1 year old. Task manager. Have a check to see if any programs are running in the background

Associate
OP
Balanced power profile should sort it.
As I said before, power settings are irrelevant here. In bios, cpu is running at 4600Mhz in a restored default profile. Disabling turbo boost completely of course brings the change and sets the clock at 3600Mhz. I will be returning the board to Overclockers for this exact reason + 1SATA and 1 Usb 3.0 ports don't work. Hopefully won't encounter the same problem with a new board.

Associate
OP
Yep that's it, Balanced Power plan.
As I said before, power settings are irrelevant here. In bios, cpu is running at 4600Mhz in a restored default profile. Disabling turbo boost completely of course brings the change and sets the clock at 3600Mhz. I will be returning the board to Overclockers for this exact reason + 1SATA and 1 Usb 3.0 ports don't work. Hopefully won't encounter the same problem with a new board.

Associate
Power settings ARE relevant especially if you minimum processor state is set to 50%, set balanced power plan and make sure minimum processor state is set to 5% then see what happens.

Associate
OP
Power settings ARE relevant especially if you minimum processor state is set to 50%, set balanced power plan and make sure minimum processor state is set to 5% then see what happens.

Any changes made in an OS do not impact the hardware settings in bios. If my CPU is running at a load boost clock in bios, how do changes in windows power settings will change that fact? I have checked a bizellion times the power settings, please don't say what has already been said and did not help.

Soldato
Sorry, I missed the bit about it showing as 4600 in the bios which you helped make clearer in your reply. If you have restored the default profile, including leaving XMP off and it's still showing 4600 then it "seems" like an issue. As you have other issues with the board just get it returned and see how the new one behaves.
Mobo's bioses can behave differently and they're not always known to be bug free so if the new one does the same then just check out the balanced profile in Windows to see if Window then controls the CPU speeds.

Last edited:
Associate

sounds to me like youve got a bios setting that is forcing always turbo clock, RTFM, turn on all power saving settings and disable the enhanced performance mode. dont say its not there because it will be. AND you most likely havent installed the drivers for the extra sata and usb ports because you have unidentified chipset devices in device manager.

Back
Top Bottom