1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Intel Core 2 quad prices

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by mikeo, 11 Oct 2009.

1. mikeo

Mobster

Must admit that I sort of thought that when I5 appeared, that the prices for the existing core 2 quads would start to ease a bit (IE. get a little cheaper). But certainly doesn't look like that yet.

Or is it that they will just be phased out?

Just that I have a hankering for a quad core. Yes I know that it's not a big move from the E8400 but...

2. Happy

Soldato

You can't even seem to pick them up second hand :( I just bought a new Q9450 for £125incl which will be replacing my Q6600. So about £40/45 for the upgrade which isn't too bad considering it should see me through another year at least.

3. the1gooner

Wise Guy

There are obviously lots of users that will want to upgrade their S775 setups with quad core processors. So I can't see prices coming down much in the near future.

4. Clairvoyant

Soldato

Yep 2nd hand C2Qs are hard to find at a good price. I got mine for £149.95 off the bay, and sold my E8400 on the bay. So my upgrade cost just over £50.

I was willing to pay £150 new rather than £135 for 2nd hand.

5. nightmare99

Mobster

This, sorry.

6. mikeo

Mobster

O'well.. bit the bullet and ordered a Q9650. Now I know the Q9550 is a fair bit cheaper, but my experience is that the fastest in the range alway (well... usually) holds the best 2nd hand value. I seem to remember getting slightly more for my Opteron 180, than I paid for it! Well this is the excuse that I'm using to justify this purchase to myself (ha). Also ordered an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2, I can also use this when moving to I5/I7 at some point. Just hope it fits my motherboard (GA-P35-DS3L). Currently have an Arctic Alpine 7, but thought a bit better cooling would not go amiss. So one E8400 for sale soon I suppose.

The only pain with this sort of fixing (IE. 775) is I expect that I will have to remove the mobo to fit the new cooler. (IE. not a lot of manoeuvring room in my case).

Last edited: 12 Oct 2009
  7. Sean_UK

Mobster

Edit: nm