• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel GPUs... are they still coming?

Associate
I saw quite a few articles months ago about the possibility of Intel releasing a dedicated GPU line up this summer, but it all went quiet.

I just saw another article that reminded me of this and wondered what anybody on here thinks, not come across any mention on here yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...-xe-graphics-everything-you-need-to-know/?amp

Could be a great thing to put some fire under AMD and Nvidia and maybe spice things up a bit, though I won't hold my breath.

Associate
They are talking abt a 960 EU chiplet being tested in lab...if they can put 2 of them together in a MCM package.. it will be able to blow away competition (atleast on paper)

Soldato
Intel is not really interested in going after the 3070, 3080 (or 6900) with their first GPU, they are going to start at the mid level (probably 3050/3060 tier performance) and work down...where the real money is.

Soldato
Intel is not really interested in going after the 3070, 3080 (or 6900) with their first GPU, they are going to start at the mid level (probably 3050/3060 tier performance) and work down...where the real money is.

They have already said they are attacking the high end server GPU to the low end GPU with the number of modules.

Weather they will be good competition at all markets is a different matter. It be all down to pricing

Associate
OP
Yeah the one that will interest most on here will be the Xe HE model range. I'm quietly excited for it, could have a real impact on the market. With the rate 30 series cards are arriving here we might actually see what they've got to offer before some people get one.

I'm at 602 in the queue for mine.

Associate
I remember the old models they were testing, they were kinda like entire PCs on a video card, you could essentially SSH onto the video card and treat it like a second computer. Given that GPUs these days are about 10x the size/scale/power/transistors that CPUs use I kinda question Intels ability to move seamlessly from one to the other. A 3rd really successful player in this space would be nothing but awesome for the gamers, but I've never held my breath with this one.

Soldato
They are talking abt a 960 EU chiplet being tested in lab...if they can put 2 of them together in a MCM package.. it will be able to blow away competition (atleast on paper)

+- 760 cores on Xe architecture for 100 EU's .

They have smaller chiplets already working, last I read the largest GPU they have working was a 1200mm2 die with 4 chiplets, each chiplet having 40 EU's for a total of 160 EU's (+-16000 cores).

I don't think gamers will ever see that card though, 1200mm2 must be insanely expensive to produce and at 500w tdp, insanely difficult to cool.

I think 2 chiplets is the most we'll see on gaming cards, which at this point looks like it would produce around 8000 cores at 200-250w TDP - on paper, it's on par with the RTX3080 (assuming same IPC and no bottlenecks)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I doubt they'll be putting some fire under AMD and Nvidia yet, wont be for a long time :p

Check these Amnesia Rebirth recommendations.

WCCFamnesiarebirth2.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amnesia-rebirth-intel-xe-hpg-pc-recommendations/

Soldato
I doubt they'll be putting some fire under AMD and Nvidia yet, wont be for a long time :p

Check these Amnesia Rebirth recommendations.

WCCFamnesiarebirth2.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amnesia-rebirth-intel-xe-hpg-pc-recommendations/

Ooh, do developers even have access to an Xe card yet.

I'm not surprised where the card is landing though, Intel itself already said it's first desktop gaming GPU won't be for the high end, they want to optimize the architecture and drivers before jumping in.

But if Intel does come in with a RX580 competitor then good for them, Nvidia isn't interested in that market it seems and AMD hasn't released anything new in ages - that $200 segment needs some real competition again

Last edited:
Caporegime
Intel has so far only used its new "Xe" graphics in an integrated form in the "Tiger Lake" ultra-mobile CPUs , but now Intel boss Bob Swan said a thing or two about the next thing.

As part of the announcement of the quarterly figures, Intel also confirmed that they are now shipping the first DG1 GPUs. The cards named Iris Xe Max are dedicated cards, but will probably only appear sporadically in notebooks for the time being.

News about the DG2 is almost more interesting. It should be based on Xe HPG, where HPG stands for high-performance gaming. And that GPU should now be manufactured and tuned to market readiness in Intel's laboratories. There would then be dedicated graphics cards for gamers who will hopefully also be competitive with the two competitors.

DG2 should arrive by the end of next year. Although Intel does not give specific data as to where they are pointing, and only say that they point to the "enthusiast segment" and "high performance", rumors have already been commissioned to say that the new Intel card would match the performance of an RTX 3070.

Rumor has it that Intel's new dedicated card performing like an RTX 3070, but that could be way too optimistic. Also according to rumors, the Xe DG2 should be manufactured with the 6nm process and will be accompanied by 16GB of GDDR6 memory. But, this all is highly speculative.

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_xe_dg2_could_have_the_performance_level_of_an_rtx_3070.html

Associate
Back
Top Bottom