Intel NUC as Plex Media Server.

Soldato
OP
The 970 Evo Plus is rated for 0.3 DWPD, or in other words 1/3 of its capacity can be written per day, every day for 5 years before it reaches the threshold Samsung rates it to, it isn’t dead at that point, just out of warranty coverage. You have a 2 bay NAS, where exactly are you planning on putting the 300TB of data?

Also consider that the published endurance is the minimum you can expect, this illustrates what can happen: https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/

Either way, write endurance isn’t something I would worry about. The 1TB Samsung would have saved you buying an NVMe drive at all - the real world differences in performance is negligible and it’s not like you’ll have 15 concurrent users. That said if you want to use a RAM drive and transcode to that, it won't do any harm - just make sure it's big enough for however many streams you need to transcode concurrently.

While docker is available for Windows, I wouldn’t suggest it’s going to make your life easier under Windows, it’ll just add complexity that you probably don’t really want or need (or you wouldn’t have chosen Windows).

Cool, I’ve already installed Docker, enabled HV and Containers.. and installed Ubuntu.

I’ll just set it up as a windows install, as long as it works I’m ok. Think the hardware will be ok to support the performance I need.

Although.. I am tempted to wander into a Linux install just to see if I can do it!

Soldato
OP
Quick Update.

Got everything up and running now and its pretty good so far, it has become apparent however that I need more indexers and more storage.

The system now has Sab, Radarr, Sonarr, PMS and Ombi running via a reverse proxy.

I would like to thank everyone for their help in this thread :)

Soldato
I did suggest GSuite Business + VPS would be worth considering - it’s still the cheapest storage deal you are going to find.

Associate
I had trouble doing HW decoding on my Plex server using an intel GPU. I found that you needed a screen connected to be able to use the iGPU, so I got a dummy hdmi plug that emulates the screen and it is working great now!

Soldato
OP
Thread revival!

I'm now nearly 6 months in and I've decided to increase the storage.
The system setup is great, everything for the most part is automated and runs pretty well on the internal network.

I massively overthought the whole transcoding side of things as for the most part files direct stream, unless outside of the network, but I don't really mind as I feel the system is very responsive and has headroom if needed I guess.
I did manage to find an old Samsung 830 256GB SATA SSD which is now used for transcoding if required.

After a few discussions with family members I have decided to allow them access to my library, hence the requirement for more storage. I'm thinking 16tb overall should do the trick.

However I may be overthinking things again.

Here is the inner workings of my brain on the subject.

I have a two bay Synology 212J, not the fastest of little boxes but for networking attached storage it does the job for our internal streaming.
I have been thinking of using the Synology storage for TV Media alone (with 2x 4tb disks, no parity as I don't really care about the data) and installing an 8tb drive natively via SATA into the media PC for film media.

Am I correct in thinking that even though the 8tb drive in the media server is connected via SATA it will not necessarily be quicker to access as it is still dependant upon the 10/100 TCP/IP connection both outbound and inbound on the other end?

Should I just grab two 8tb drives and pop them in the 212J? (Assuming they are supported of course, it is very old!)

Soldato
Again GSuite is still cheap/unlimited storage if you have a reasonable connection. Local storage wise I wouldn’t buy anything under 8TB, that’s just horribly short sighted. As your Plex server has to be on, why bother using the NAS as primary storage? If you already have small drives selling them and buying bigger is likely a better option, but if you don’t want to do that migrate them to the NAS as you upgrade your primary storage.

Soldato
OP
Again GSuite is still cheap/unlimited storage if you have a reasonable connection. Local storage wise I wouldn’t buy anything under 8TB, that’s just horribly short sighted. As your Plex server has to be on, why bother using the NAS as primary storage? If you already have small drives selling them and buying bigger is likely a better option, but if you don’t want to do that migrate them to the NAS as you upgrade your primary storage.

I checked into Gsuite and the prices don’t seem too keen, £13.80 per month for 5tb. Couldn’t find the price for unlimited storage.

I’ll probably go the HDD route, the reason for the separate NAS I’d the media server is a SFF. So unless I buy a 16tb drive and store internally...

Actually... I might do that!! Just need to find a place to mount the SSD as the caddy won’t fit both the HDD and SSD.

Back
Top Bottom