Intel Realsense & Rampage IV Extreme (ASmedia USB3)

Associate
Hi,

I'm having trouble with the Intel Realasense Depth camera.

The specification says 4th generation Intel (native USB3) and I'm running a 3930K on a Rampage IV with ASmedia USB3 (N.B. X79 has no native USB3 to my knowledge). Now having looked at the Intel forum it seems it is a common problem with ASmedia USB3 controllers though I cannot figure out what the problem is? I mean there are people using the camera on 2nd generation Intel as well AMD processors from what I have read.

Is it related to the board not supplying enough current (USB3 peaks at 900ma right?)?

I'm at least another 2 years away from an upgrade and would love a solution with my existing motherboard and CPU.

Is there something I can configure on the Motherboard? Drivers? or can I get away with buying a PCIexpress USB3 expansion card ? maybe another controller TexasInstruments, ....?

I appreciate that USB3 has evolved to some extent since x79 but this was a very disappointing experience.

edit: I should add the latest bios is installed

Last edited:
Soldato
When you say the 'Native' USB 3.0.

I have a ROG rampage extreme IV, and there are USB 3.0 headers, two of them to be exact.

Do you mean they run through Asmedia, hence not directly interacting with the chipset? If so, then a PCI card would be the option to go.

Associate
OP
When you say the 'Native' USB 3.0.

I have a ROG rampage extreme IV, and there are USB 3.0 headers, two of them to be exact.

Do you mean they run through Asmedia, hence not directly interacting with the chipset? If so, then a PCI card would be the option to go.

Yes, the only reason I can think of for the tight Intel spec (4th Gen processors +) comes down to when the Intel chipsets implemented trouble free native USB 3 headers, and this comes down to the stupid lack of agreement between vendors on the spec - really I suspect its a power issue, with third-party USB3 ports not providing sufficient powers, up to 900ma for USB3 spec!

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "two to be exact" :) are you throwing the *SATA* ports into the mix by any chance? :p

The X79 chipset on the ROG extreme IV supports 8 USB 3 ports via ASMedia, remaining 12 USB 2 headers are via the X79 chipset. E.G. Comparing to X99 chipset (Rampage V Extreme) which provides 4 x USB 3 ports, further 10 USB3 ports via ASMedia chipset.

I ordered a powered PCIexpress USB 3 expansion card based on Fresco Logic XHCI driver. Hopefully it will fix it :). I just don't trust the powered USB 3 hubs, I've had two of them melt on me.

I can't bring myself to upgrade to 5930K (mobo+DDR4 ram) for, IMO, small gains. My next upgrade will probably be about the time Type-C USB becomes common on motherboards.(2-3yrs maybe)

Last edited:
Soldato
No I have two USB 3.0 Header on My Rampage Extreme IV.

One below the ATX power slot, and another at the very bottom, right hand side of the board, which I suspect are powered by ASmedia, don't quote me on that though.

I'm the same, I can't justify the upgrade to x99. I have a 4930k clocked @4.625ghz and it is a monster, the only thing I miss coming from Z97 is the Msata, which I would need to find a X4 bracket/adapter for.

In terms of the USB 3 expansion card, that would be the better options definitely, it will be faster too and it's directly in the board.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Back
Top Bottom